SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   electrical problems (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/electrical-problems-18785/)

RIHDER34 05-19-2009 07:51 PM

electrical problems

Ok so here's my problem, ill be just riding with no problems then ill stop for a few minutes. Ill hop back on go to start it up and it wont start. Being desperate ill pop start it to go home, turn it off and let it sit. Ill go back to it ten minutes later and it will be fine. any idea's...

and no i didn't leave the key on....

Hawkrider 05-19-2009 09:24 PM

So does it crank but not start, or not crank enough to start? My initial thought is a bad battery.

gboezio 05-20-2009 02:51 AM

Connect a multimeter to the battery while it fails cranking and check if there's a voltage drop.

RIHDER34 05-20-2009 10:04 AM

When i try to start it, it will start to crank then it wont have enough juice left to start. The battery is brand new

lazn 05-20-2009 10:40 AM

You could have a bad R/R (voltage Regulator / Rectifier) that killed your nice new battery..

Circuit_Burner 05-20-2009 03:57 PM

Heavy overcharging fries them out good.

MOONSTER 05-20-2009 05:54 PM

JUST MY 2CENTS WORTH, BUT IF BATTERY IS NEW & CHARGE IS GOOD, IT'S POSSIBLE THAT STARTER IS GOING BAD. AS WITH MOST ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS, HEAT IS AN ENEMY. AFTER RIDING ENGINE HEAT IS TRANSFERRED TO STARTER THEREFORE POSSIBLE HIGHER RESISTANCE. :confused:

Hawkrider 05-20-2009 06:52 PM

In my 11 years of being on mailing lists and forums in one form or another, I've only heard of one starter failing on a Superhawk. Granted, it's possible, but highly unlikely. A defective battery is quite possible. I had one go bad after 2 months. Voltage will be good but amperage will suck balls. BTDT

MOONSTER 05-20-2009 07:47 PM

Hey Hawkrider, not disputing what your saying. Just mentioning as a possible problem. Not even sure what yr. his bike is. I can only relate to my experience in my line of work which is generator repair. If he had access to a battery load tester that would prove if the battery was dropping under load. I also concur that just because battery voltage reads good, doesn't mean battery is, the true test is when load is applied.

RIHDER34 05-21-2009 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 217860)
In my 11 years of being on mailing lists and forums in one form or another, I've only heard of one starter failing on a Superhawk. Granted, it's possible, but highly unlikely. A defective battery is quite possible. I had one go bad after 2 months. Voltage will be good but amperage will suck balls. BTDT

THANKS HAWKRIDER! i took your advice even tho i honestly didnt think it was a bad battery, but it was, cheap Chinese crap. thanks eveyone for your help
-dave

lazn 05-22-2009 02:50 AM

Glad you got it figured out.

It'd probably be worth the extra 5 min to test that your R/R is not overcharging the system to be sure that you won't be killing another battery soon.

Circuit_Burner 05-22-2009 09:25 AM

Hot, Gooey batteries dont last long.

Syclone 05-22-2009 09:28 AM

+1 on checking your R/R, 5 mins of testing could save you much more time and $