SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Disabled pair now bike won't start (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/disabled-pair-now-bike-wont-start-22131/)

steve29 04-12-2010 08:01 PM

So re sync carbs first? See what that does. Then based on what I've read around here, adjust needles up A notch, turn pilot screws in? At this point, I don't even care if I'm leaving some horsepower out there by not tuning it absolutely perfect. I just wanna be able to ride thru town without feeling carb backfires between my legs. Too bad I can't find guys like all of you working in shops 'round here who actually understand this bike and don't treat everything like gixxer 600s:)

nath981 04-13-2010 03:46 AM

if you get that fitting and for your front carb and a couple Ts I have vac tubing, we can check your carbs. That multimeter had a weak battery, that's why we couldn't get a reading on your tps. maybe we can check that air mixture if you can determine what it should be with your set-up. let me know.

residentg 04-13-2010 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
get the Ts at Petco PetStore - fish tank section, nice brass fittings:

Attachment 27505

Tweety 04-13-2010 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by steve29 (Post 261558)
That's exactly what 8514 Hawk said after looking at the dyno sheet. Irratating as hell, messing with this.

Well... He's a pretty smart guy (almost as smart as me... :rotf:)

Originally Posted by steve29 (Post 261605)
So re sync carbs first? See what that does. Then based on what I've read around here, adjust needles up A notch, turn pilot screws in? At this point, I don't even care if I'm leaving some horsepower out there by not tuning it absolutely perfect. I just wanna be able to ride thru town without feeling carb backfires between my legs. Too bad I can't find guys like all of you working in shops 'round here who actually understand this bike and don't treat everything like gixxer 600s:)

In their defence, they see 50 Gixxer 600's for every Superhawk... But I gave up after a few tries, now my bike hasn't seen a shop the last 5 years... I know as much about this bike as the average jackass at a shop knows (around here they barely know that it's twin)... And what I don't know, others on this forum knows...

steve29 04-13-2010 07:31 AM

Definitely Nathan. Let's give syncing s try before anything else

spladle160 04-13-2010 08:48 AM

or get the T's at autozone and save money and weight.

steve29 04-13-2010 11:58 AM

So, I'm hearing about this screw that you install on your front carb and is flared on the end to allow hook up of hose for syncing carbs. Anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, what's it called? Called 2 Honda dealers. One had no clue, the other said it's about a $60 part. I'm hearing it should be about $4. If I had a name for it, perhaps I could better explain to them what I'm looking for. Thanks guys.

residentg 04-13-2010 12:00 PM

the Petco Tees cost $1.69. I have a tendency to break the plastic ones, and of cousre that is when all the stores are closed.

steve29 04-13-2010 12:04 PM

Just had a thought. These ts I need to get, can they be used in place of this fitting I'm attempting to describe? I'd guess you install it then cap it when not in use? Sorry to sound dumb here. I have no real idea how to sync carbs. Last time I has carbs apart, I had shop sync for me. No better time than the present to learn, right?

nath981 04-13-2010 01:11 PM

Steve, it's just the vacuum fitting for the rear carb. it's called a boost joint. part #16214-MBO-000............. $4.00

residentg 04-13-2010 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They are different. The "T" joint looks like a T. The part you are referring to screws into the front cylinder and is called "Joint, Boost", someone in Japan has a good sense of humor. To hook up a hose system to quickly sync your carbs you need both. There is a KB article on it somewhere.

Attachment 27497

spladle160 04-13-2010 02:25 PM

The T's are actually for the existing line so that you can get a reading for the rear cylinder and still have vacuum to the petcock.

steve29 04-13-2010 03:14 PM

Thanks everyone. Having the part number makes things much easier.

nath981 04-14-2010 09:23 PM

well, i know something know one else knows except me and steve29.

He came down the other day and we set the TPS, but couldn't get a reading because my multimeter had a dead battery and we couldn't read the analog ones I had, a couple of dumb fucks! Anyway, when I adjusted mine a couple years ago, prior to the digital multi, I didn't have enough hands, brains, or perseverance to get a reading, so I turned it clockwise about 1/2" till i felt the spring engage and drilled it to the plate. The bike ran great and it's been like that ever since.

So today, we went to set his TPS and he wanted to bend the tabs instead of my drill the plate method. So we screwed around as i bent the upper tab to allow the TPS to rotate clockwise, but the reading got higher instead of lower. He mentioned that he read that it was supposed to be turned counterclockwise and i said bullshit, but it turned out that it wasn't, so we changed directions and got it down to 500. That solved the majority of his problems as the symptoms largely disappeared fortunately and we're going to sync the carbs when he gets the fitting.

So next we were anxious to put the multimeter on mine since I went clockwise and the bike's been running great for many moons. Guess what the multimeter read? 2000 ohms. hahahaha. fucking unbelievable. Could be a first. Anyway we turned it back counterclockwise to 500 ohms and it runs the same. Now how is this possible? And now everyone say dumbass all at once, cause I definitely deserve it.

WTF, how could 2000ohms work anyway? Can anyone make sense of this?

residentg 04-15-2010 01:05 AM

Take a look at this KB:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9876

It won't answer your question, but it describes the TPS adjustment process well.

JB

nath981 04-15-2010 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 262008)
Take a look at this KB:

I won't answer your question, but it describes the TPS adjustment process well.

JB

Steve read that thread so was able to help with the info. thanks.:D

residentg 04-15-2010 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 262008)
Take a look at this KB:

I won't answer your question, but it describes the TPS adjustment process well.

JB

I meant "It won't...", I noticed the typo that said "I won't...", since corrected. I certainly would answer if I could :shock:, Glad that it works ok. My bike was hard to start prior to TPS adjustment. The PO showed me how you had to pull the choke out slowly while cranking. Now at 500ohms, it starts immediately. JB

steve29 04-19-2010 06:14 PM

Well, guess I spoke prematurely in saying the tps adjustment fixed the carb backfires. It didn't. It lessened them. Step in the right direction. Looks like back to the shop who did the dyno tuning. Don't have the utmost confidence in them since they are the ones who put the bike in it's current state, but running out of options. Guess last thing to try is syncing. This thread has really departed from my original issue, huh? Haha. Damn this bike.

nath981 04-19-2010 07:14 PM

Did anyone suggest air mixture setting for your jetting? let's get a sync done. Give me a call.