Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Dirtbike bar conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Dirtbike bar conversion

I've had this sitting in the garage for nearly a month. Got a wild hair and installed it tonight, finally. Should put my lower back on speaking terms with me again.

Anybody know where I can get an inexpensive 'mounts above the tank' steering damper? I've got a Scotts that won't fit under the bar that I'm about to sell (as soon as I get another steering stem nut, apparently I kept the TL one instead of the Superhawk one... d'oh!), and I'd prefer to put something back on the bike before I do any real push-it-up riding. If Hyperpros weren't so damn expensive, I'd go with one of those.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Looks good. Had to order a set of Superbike Bars for my GSXR front end conversion. It was cheaper than buying clip-ons with a bunch of rise in them.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I like it!

Could you use a Dirtbike mount kit for your Scotts to make it work? They have all kinds of different mounting options for their dampers.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Superstock

I called Scotts and sent one of their techs some pictures of the riser setup. Not sure they'll be able to do anything. I just gave up afterward and fitted the 30mm Tusk risers in addition to the adapters, which brings me up far enough to clear the stock Scotts mount. It's not quite as clean an install, but once I scuff the billet risers and paint them black as well, it shouldn't look too out of whack. I'll have to position the bars perfectly so the right front brake line won't bind at full fork extension (read: while I'm up on the rear wheel...), and it would probably be prudent for me to get a longer one of those in addition to a full braided clutch line, but for now, it will function. Bottom line is I'm back riding and won't have to worry so much about back fatigue on longer rides.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Superstock

Took some better pictures today:

Yes, the horn switch wires are unplugged. It was the only thing that wouldn't reach. I'll probably just move the horn.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
I like that look! I have some bars off an early '80s model yamaha 550 vision that have about a 4" rise i havent measured to see if they will fit yet but im hoping they do, gimme about the same look as u have, but these mount right to the fork tubes like the vfr bars do, i have 2 sets incase they do.