SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   did motor swap;maybe not a one man job (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/did-motor-swap%3Bmaybe-not-one-man-job-26346/)

smokinjoe73 08-11-2011 08:21 AM

did motor swap;maybe not a one man job

So the 05 motor just got into the frame. Had to do some on-the-fly building of a gantry crane to jack the chassis about 6 feet in the air. One day of prep, one of huffing the motors, and now one of buttoning up. Pics to come. It can be done by one person, it turns out. Luckily I can lift the motor as I had to do it many times.

superhen 08-11-2011 08:34 AM

Should be in a job description: "Applicant must be able to lift a SuperHawk engine chest high, and walk a minimum of four feet, then squat with motor and hold for several minutes while having knuckles pummelled with a stick. Must also enjoy swearing. Tendecies towards masochism a plus."

Good work, now go get that advil!

Old Yeller 08-11-2011 08:37 AM

I really don't understand why it's so hard. When I watch American Chopper they put motors in those bikes really easy.

;) ;) ;)

7moore7 08-11-2011 09:03 AM

I curl one vtr motor per hand each morning... at first I did it dry but now i pour sand in the cylinders and fill it with oil.

Old Yeller 08-11-2011 11:17 AM

...which leads me to the supposition that if he'd had Chuck Norris doing it, it would be done by now. :D

superhen 08-11-2011 12:01 PM

True, but one stearn look from Chuck Norris would've intimidated the blown motor into healing itself, therefore eliminating the need to put in a new one.

RickB 08-12-2011 09:26 AM

Definitely... :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by superhen (Post 311327)
True, but one stearn look from Chuck Norris would've intimidated the blown motor into healing itself, therefore eliminating the need to put in a new one.

8541Hawk 08-12-2011 09:37 AM

Not sure why you had so much trouble or why you needed to get the chassis so high in the air.

When I did mine, I set the engine on a block of wood. Dropped the frame over it and installed all the fasteners. Bolted on the swingarm and rear shock. As the triples were still in the frame, I picked the back up with a swingarm stand and then lifted the front with my front stand and finished bolting on all the rest of the bits.

It was pretty straight forward..... ;)

smokinjoe73 08-13-2011 06:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Yes but did you have front end still intact? What you describe would only work if you had no forks and front wheel on the bike. Without that it would be different but here in the city space is at a premium (like no place to put the front end) Or the other interpretation is that I was trying to save time so didnt want to disassemble the front end.

stumplove 08-13-2011 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I feel your pain man, I feel your pain....literally

smokinjoe73 08-13-2011 06:43 PM

So stumpy are you swapping or fixing?

stumplove 08-13-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 311487)
So stumpy are you swapping or fixing?

was fixing the bike from a crash....motor was fine but since I had it apart....I figured I should take the opportunity to do what I really wanted to do to it. Pulled the motor to put new JE Pistons and rings in, ccts, PAIR block off plates, then put the quickshift kit and upgraded clutch in, then the jet kit.......its a continual process lol. But, should be a mean machine when back together

smokinjoe73 08-13-2011 07:02 PM

Yeah it is tempting to do everything but I really want to get back on the road. I kinda want to get rid of the pair system just because its a nusance. I know there is a thread but is it basicly blocking off the engine plates and throwing the rest away?

7moore7 08-13-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 311490)
Yeah it is tempting to do everything but I really want to get back on the road. I kinda want to get rid of the pair system just because its a nusance. I know there is a thread but is it basicly blocking off the engine plates and throwing the rest away?

You gotta flip the reed under the plates and plug the holes in your airbox too, I think.

stumplove 08-13-2011 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just made block off plates and plugged the airbox and called it good. Its an easy thing but really just for aesthetics. I live on top of a hill and I got sick of the popping and grumbling going down the hill on decel. Here are the plates I made, some 16 gauge steel from the farm store and some good tin snips did the trick. Painted them black since tho.

7moore7 08-13-2011 07:22 PM

Stump... under the plates there is a reed valve and little steel support with a phillips head screw in it... if you take the screw off and flip the support over it holds the reed shut. I can't remember why you're supposed to do this, but it's part of the PAIR removal process.

stumplove 08-13-2011 07:32 PM

oh yeah I did that. I got so involved with making the plates I forgot I did it :-P

JamieDaugherty 08-15-2011 05:09 PM

Hummm, I've pulled and replaced my engine a few times. Not the easiest thing in the world, but I always left it down on the ground and did the job myself. Lifting the bike up that far tells me that you are probably trying too hard. Maybe think a little simpler and you should be just fine!

smokinjoe73 08-15-2011 06:54 PM

I had the motor on a wheeled dolly that held it the same ht as the standing bike, thats why the lift-o-rama.

JamieDaugherty 08-15-2011 06:56 PM

A normal sized floor jack is all I have ever used!

stumplove 08-16-2011 05:00 PM

when Im ready to re-install the motor Ill have to take the front wheel off and try it your ways. I want to get a motorcycle worktable though, would come in handy for sure.

JamieDaugherty 08-17-2011 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by stumplove (Post 311749)
when Im ready to re-install the motor Ill have to take the front wheel off and try it your ways.

I've never had to do that before either! Just lower it down out of the frame. The trickiest part is supporting the rear because the swingarm comes off. I use straps from the rafters in the ceiling for that job.

new2thehawk 03-26-2012 09:27 AM

I guess I am lucky, I found a almost complete 2002 doner bike for my motor swap, I am using the motor and swing arm, rear wheel etc, i pulled the frame off with the bike resting in the racing stand. and the oil pan on a 6x6

then the same for the bike with the bad motor, it sits on an old creeper now.

It can be done by one person, and lifting the motor and rolling around like a unicycle on the rear rim was fun!!

blamecanada 03-26-2012 09:42 AM

hey since you just did this, what stands and lifting tools do I need to do this myself?

one of my CCTs came out of adjustment and the chain skipped and crunched my heads...

edit: ahh I see now the dollys and such you described...well...if you have any suggestions that you didn't mention here I'm all ears.

smokinjoe73 03-26-2012 09:59 AM

Hey new, what about the subframe? Stayed bolted on? Front end stayed intact or did you just adopt the new front end.

I think its apples and oranges if you have only a bare motor. I also have a worked front fork so want to keep that on the bike.