Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Chain Slider Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
Chain Slider Replacement

I did a search on the forum to no avail. Does anyone know if the rear swing arm needs to be removed to replace the chain slider on the swing arm. I was hoping the sprocket guard could be removed and the new slider could be slid over it perhaps especially if the chain is loosened. Anyone have experience with this? Basically the top part where the bolt holding the slider on has fractured and I have a zip tie to hold the slider down for immediate purposes but I went ahead and ordered a new slider. Living in hawaii there aren't many used swing arms available so I opted to just replace the slider. Thanks any input would be greatly appreciated. Aloha

Jake
Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
yes,it can be done without taking the swingarm off,just take the cover off and chain guard and it will go in.
may have too slide it or push it thru,but will go on.I did it.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by saige
yes,it can be done without taking the swingarm off,just take the cover off and chain guard and it will go in.
may have too slide it or push it thru,but will go on.I did it.

Thanks Saige, Yea I went through the service manual and all it says is where it goes and I'm like well i know where it goes and I know there is two bolts I just wanna know if I have to drop the swing arm to get to it lol. Thanks for the tip brah gonna replace it next week when the part comes in.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Remember to secure the clutch lever to the bars before removing the sprocket cover or you will get air in the system.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Squid

Thanks aja for the tip. I'm not sure when the previous owner changed the clutch fluid so I might just drain it and put new fluid in as well. Thank you for letting me know about that in case I don't get to bleeding the clutch immediately
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
So let's say SOMEONE forgot to secure the clutch lever to the bars before removing the sprocket cover... is there DEFINITELY going to be air in the system now, and if so, is bleeding the line difficult?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yes, and no... Not complicated, just time consuming... The tip is to bleed at the master cylinder banjo as well...
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tweety... Opinions on what is the most effective way to clean the build up in the sprocket area? That gunk is pretty thick. I was gonna try some kerosene with an old paintbrush, or maybe some mineral spirits, place a metal pan underneath to catch the nastiness... kerosene too harsh? Is there any easy method??
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Scrape out what you can. Use varsol, kerosene or another low volatility petroleum-based solvent. Have some rags handy. An old toothbrush is a useful tool. Wear old clothes. Use safety glasses if you're spraying contact cleaner. Don't clean with gasoline. Don't smoke while doing the job. Seek inner peace.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 PM
Squid

LongGone014 is on a distinguished road
Chain Slider Replacement

Thanks to Saige, Aja, and others for info on this subject. I replaced mine but securing the clutch lever to the handlebar didn't
work for me. When replacing the sprocket cover after installing the chain slider, the cover would not mate with the crankcase
due to the clutch piston interfering with the clutch lifter rod. I was unable to push the piston back in the bore without
releasing the clutch lever, and eventually opening the bleed valve. Once the piston was pushed back I was able to bolt
down the sprocket cover. Then, of course, I had to bleed the clutch. Not a big deal, just took some time. For me, it looks like
if you're going to remove the sprocket cover, you might as well plan on bleeding the clutch.
1998 Superhawk, 25K miles, 2nd owner.