Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carburetor heaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
LOL Erik! Same friggin thing but private labeled for Honda with a stick-on label calibrated to jet sizes for a smokin deal of only $64 versus the super expensive Lincoln private-labeled one at Home Depot for $4!! Now the K&L, BikeMaster and Amal kits can be had for $10 or less plus shipping...

Really Erik?! There's no real difference! My welding tip cleaner is smooth except for about a 1-1/2" length that is about 3/4" from the end you stick in. I pick a size by feel but I could measure their OD with my super-accurate (truly) HF $10 digital veneer caliper. Unless the reamer wire is made out of brass and none of them are, like using a feeler gauge, you have to have experience and go by feel to not damage the jet or welding tip, as they are both made of brass!
What can I say, I have three sets of welding tip cleaners in front of me...none have the smaller size cleaners needed for small jets.
I have two jet cleaner sets in front of me (you do as well I'm sure, as you'd never make such definitive statements if you were just looking at pictures and guessing..Right?) and yes they are different.
To each his own, if you're comfortable using welding tip cleaners that don't fit in your jets, that's fine.. I'm just saying there is a difference and the right tool actually fits the jets to be cleaned.. kind of handy don't ya think?
Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I love a good technical argument!
Old 02-11-2016, 08:16 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
EM, believe me, the 3 cleaning kits I have all have "wire" that fit the smallest to almost the largest jets I have in my 4 jet storage boxes including from Keihin, Mikuni, Amal, Delorto, Bing, Factory Pro, Dynojet, B&S, Tecumseh and a couple others I don't know what they're from.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

EM, believe me, the 3 cleaning kits I have all have "wire" that fit the smallest to almost the largest jets I have in my 4 jet storage boxes including from Keihin, Mikuni, Amal, Delorto, Bing, Factory Pro, Dynojet, B&S, Tecumseh and a couple others I don't know what they're from.
Yes I do do believe you I also think you're a darn good wrench,, so I'm not tossing stones at you... Yet with the two brands of welding tip cleaner sets I have and the Honda branded carb jet cleaner set I have.. you're still mistaken.

The jets I'm talking about are the non removable orifice restrictions we find in carbs and other fluid or air passages... smaller than a liquid fuel main jet. The smallest needle cleaner in my Clark and Harris welding tip cleaner sets are for a #6 or .018" dia (numbered drill size 77)
The Honda branded jet cleaners go down to .009 (numbered drill size 89)

IOW, I'm not making this up, exaggerating or guessing.

Go measure the smallest welding tip cleaner you have,and what the branded name is.
Come to think of it.. there are micro welding tips used in Prosthodontist field and Jewelry making, likely many other areas, it would seem those micro welding tips have tip cleaners..so perhaps that is what you have?

All the welding tip cleaners I have are for your garden variety Harris tips, say down to a 000 (#68 drill )
Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Erik,

As usual, you are correct. See my email...
Old 02-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Erik,

As usual, you are correct. See my email...
I wish "usual" were true..... but thanks for the thought.
Hey, you reminded me, there are smaller welding tip cleaners out there... even if that's not what you had...and you learned, the branded specific tool marketed for cleaning jets is different than standard welding tip cleaners..
Sounds like a win/win to me.