SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Carb help!! PLEASE! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/carb-help-please-12342/)

saxman 08-04-2007 06:41 PM

Carb help!! PLEASE!

I have been having problems with the SH not responding. Thinking it was something I did by hooking up the vacuum line wrong to the petcock, I replaced the petcock. Still does not have near the power and misses when hard on the throttle. Tonight I tore the airbox off, and inside the intake for each carb are the black "sliders" above the butterfly's, that I assume run off the vacuum also. The one on the rear carb jumps back and forth slightly when you turn it over and hold the throttle open, but the one on the front does not. Shouldn't it also? The front is where my missing/ popping is going on. Is this adjusting the amount of air coming in along with the butterfly valves? Or is this adjusting the intake of the jets? I don't know much about it. What could be causing this? It moves freely by hand, and actually springs back to home position a little quicker than the rear one...I am at a loss. I have not messed with them, so don't know where to go from here....someone PLEASE help! Maybe I am way off here...

superbling 08-04-2007 07:58 PM

Good detective work. Yup, the slides can stick (BTDT) and cause piss poor running that can be difficult to pin down.

You can remove them without removing the carbs but the front one is a real bear space-wise so I strongly suggest pulling the carbs out of the boots (not full removal) to get some more working room. Clean and lube both the slides and the channel in the carbs. I used silicone spray but there maybe something better out there.

I now wonder if this is the first sign of weakening diaphragm springs.

saxman 08-04-2007 08:07 PM

Thanks superbling......but.......it moves very freely. I don't think that it is sticking. Would the spring weakening cause it to not open or not close back up? It closes fine, but won't open on it's own when turning over. Could it be the diaphragm is shot? Do I need to remove the gray plastic cover ( 3 phillips screws) on the front of the intake to find it inside? It started doing this after she sat for a few months getting repainted, if that gives any clues.

superbling 08-04-2007 08:27 PM

Oh I see. Sounds like it's damaged (hole) and vacuum can't pull it open; still gives the same symptoms as a stuck one tho'.

Yup, it's under the black cap with three screws. They should be VERY tight (locktite???) thus why it's good to have some working room. I'd try cleaning/lubing first as they aren't cheap.

saxman 08-04-2007 08:31 PM

OK..well....I pulled it out, and have a 1/2" tear in the diaphragm..UGG. But, at least I now know. Maybe try to "fix it" with shoo goo for the time being until I get one ordered..duct tape, bailer's twine and shoo goo hold my household together!!! I can't be without my baby!
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkrider 08-04-2007 11:32 PM

Let us know how it turns out. I don't think Shoo-Goo will last long so you'd better just order one now. Can't really think of a permanent fix for these that will not affect its operation. A tire tube patch kit might work but they are pretty thick. Maybe just the rubber glue and a piece of material similar to the diaphragm, or a small piece of heavy duty plastic trash bag.....

Man, this is so ghetto....just order a new one!

saxman 08-05-2007 05:54 PM

LMAO Hawkrider.....well, the shoo goo DID work.....well! I ran it this morning to work, all day on breaks, and then home...and I didn't baby it (+8000rpm), just to see how it would do. So far, so good. I already ordered one last night that should be here Friday, so fear not!! I SHALL have the real deal soon. I just needed a quick fix so I could ride it today. I can't be without my baby, not even for a day!
Thanks everyone!

camaroguy72 08-06-2007 08:07 AM

mine were stuck too but not because of damage, just they were like stuck as the bike was sitting with gas in it for 2 years lol.

saxman 10-01-2007 08:39 PM

OK hawkrider....my shoe goo finally wore out today, so I am replacing the diaphragm. My question now is, how do I get the needle out of the old sleeve?

filter69 10-01-2007 08:51 PM

Just did this tonight you take a screw from the cap you removed on the carb diaphram and screw it into the round stick pressed into the carb slide and "Gently" pull up while wiggling and it will slide right out carefull to keep washer on end of needle from getting lost then lube up o-ring and put it all back in the new one i also use a silicone spray on the sliders works wonders.

RK1 10-01-2007 09:25 PM

Smart thing to do is download the service manual. I don't have a link, but if you search for "98-03_VTR100F" you'll find it somewhere.

RK1 10-01-2007 09:29 PM

I left out a zero. Should be "98-03_VTR1000F"

saxman 10-02-2007 12:13 AM

Great, thanks for the help guys. She's all back together and went for a midnight ride (OK, 2:00am).....daddy likes!!

reaper 10-02-2007 06:24 AM

Saxman:

The service manual download link is in the Knowledge Base section. This is a good thing to have if you don't already own one.

saxman 10-02-2007 10:53 AM

Cool...thanks Reaper. Will have to get it.