Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Caliper Bolt Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Squid

vtr_rider
Caliper Bolt Stripped

Need help.

I just had new BT-014s mounted. I'm guessing the guy at the shop when he re-installed my front calipers he used an air ratchet wrench or something and I've now managed to totally round out the lower caliper bolt in my attempts to get it off.

Please post suggestions as to how I might get the bolt free. It's a total write-off, so I'm thinking about using my dremel to cut a slot. Even if I do this, I'm gonna need some major muscle to get this sucker off.

Trying to avoid drilling it out and re-tapping...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
Re: Caliper Bolt Stripped

Just a suggestion, I've used Torx bits to remove allen bolts when they get stripped. Just find one that is slightly bigger than the allen bolts hole and tap it in with a hammer, this will make it dig into the bolt in the areas that the allen wrench usually applies force. Then put your rachet on and give it a try. If it works then Yippe! if not move on to the easy outs.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
mystikkowboy - does that ruin the Torx bit?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Squid

vtr_rider

Thanks for the replies. I haven't butchered this bolt any further...yet. I'm going to my buddy who is a mechanic and has access to easy outs and the rest. I've considered jamming a 9" allen into the bolt (1 size up) and trying. If that doesn't work I'll try a torx.

Does anybody know the details of this bolt? I've tried to order more but they are back ordered, coming from Japan. I'm thinking of going to the hardware store and haven't an example on hand. Thought I'd give the list a try.

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk

marmaladeboy----- I've never broken a torx doing this, but there's a first time for everything. You just gotta be careful to get it in there strait and not crooked or you'll definitely break something and it might be your fingers.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Squid

vtr_rider

My mechanic buddie had it out in about 5 minutes, just hammered a ratchet allen in and gave it a good steady turn. I feel so much less of a man...
But I'm happy it's out. Thanks guys.