Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

BT-003 R/S Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
BT-003 R/S Feedback

For anyone considering these tires, I had a chance to test them out this weekend at the track. Overall, they were fine tires, as you would expect. Tire pressure seemed to be important to these tires. In the past i've run Michelins. they recommend cold pressures and I've never had to check them hot before. With the 003s, hot pressure is the key so I spent a couple morning sessions "dialing them in".

I started with 26 cold front and 28 cold rear. Off the track after the first session, my rear was about 34, so I took 3 pounds out. The front gained to 31, so I took three pounds out of that as well. I ran the first session fairly light in order to break the tires in too.

Second session after coming back in, the rear was up to 33. two more pounds out. Front was 28. I had noticed some slight slipping of the front tire on heavy braking at the end of the front stretch, so after checking with some other riders there, they recommended more pressure, so I bumped up to 31 on the front.

After that, both tires seemed to settle in well and I didn't have any other issues all day except one turn that I got a very slight slide out of the back.

For reference, my speeds were mid-pack intermediate. I don't put a great deal of pressure on the tires compared to the advanced guys.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I ran 30 hot, front and back last weekend on mine. I was very pleased. It rained the second half of the day. I only did one session in the rain, but I was suprised at how well they still worked.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
thanks for the feedback!

yeah i didnt get enough feel and felt like the tires would overheat and grease up if i ran them that low. have stuck with 33-34 f and r hot and has worked great for me in mid and upper intermediate.

glad that you had a good day though
Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
For anyone considering these tires, I had a chance to test them out this weekend at the track. Overall, they were fine tires, as you would expect. Tire pressure seemed to be important to these tires. In the past i've run Michelins. they recommend cold pressures and I've never had to check them hot before. With the 003s, hot pressure is the key so I spent a couple morning sessions "dialing them in".

I started with 26 cold front and 28 cold rear. Off the track after the first session, my rear was about 34, so I took 3 pounds out. The front gained to 31, so I took three pounds out of that as well. I ran the first session fairly light in order to break the tires in too.

Second session after coming back in, the rear was up to 33. two more pounds out. Front was 28. I had noticed some slight slipping of the front tire on heavy braking at the end of the front stretch, so after checking with some other riders there, they recommended more pressure, so I bumped up to 31 on the front.

After that, both tires seemed to settle in well and I didn't have any other issues all day except one turn that I got a very slight slide out of the back.

For reference, my speeds were mid-pack intermediate. I don't put a great deal of pressure on the tires compared to the advanced guys.
The front pressure is usually slightly higher than the rear, say 29 front and 28 rear. A Bridgestone rep would advise you exactly what cold pressures to set them for the track condition i.e. temperature and surface.
You should be getting a 4-6 lb pressure increase on the rear and a 3-5 lb on the front. Measure the cold pressure before the first session or when they have had sufficient time to cool down to ambient temp, then measure tire pressure immediately when you get off the track. If the pressure increase from cold to hot is less than the recommended rise, then you have too much air in the tire to start with and the tire isn't getting up to temperature. This will create a cold tear.
By continually taking more air out, you are creating a situation where the tire carcass will become way too soft and tire surface temperatures will increase above normal operating range for best performance and ultimately decreasing traction and the possibility of a hot tear.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
SuperBike

Good input. thanks. the rises you mentioned were about what I experienced. After filling the tires initially, the only other adjustments I did were immediately after exiting the track. I know there's alot more factors to it, but since I'm slow, I just stick with the basics.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
they are great tires. i did 3 days at jennings with a set and although the left side was almost shot, any tire that can last 3 days at jennings is a good one, even if it is at my slow pace. i put them on the hawk for the street now, should still get a few thousand miles from them.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 AM
SuperBike

I'm hoping to get to another track outing in late July. Based on how they look now, I think two days at CMP will have these things pretty well done except for casual street use.

I'll have to change them before September anyway as I have a 4-day trip up the BRP planned and I'll want something better for possible rain riding since my son will probably be riding the hawk while I'm comfortable on the Concours.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Superstock

i have a track day coming up on friday--bringing both the cbr and rc since my buddy is visiting from kosovo (he's riding the cbr, which i bought from him)

i think i have 10 dates, totaling an actual 6-8 days worth of riding on them...

debating to get some more tires or just run them and take it easy haha. will never use the rc at the track again for a longggg time im fairly certain.

...so yeah, im sure you can get 2-4 days out of them easily (from my experience)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Street review

Hi guys, Still not been to the track with these tires yet. I Know a street ride is hard to review tires anywhere near the limit as you can on track.

I rode up to Moto GP on Saturday via some of So-Cal best roads. Set the tire pressures at a pretty low for me on the street at 33f & 35 rear (cold). Tires felt great all day, never had a single moment. Nice even wear across the surface. A very small ripple section about an 1 1/4 inches from the edge on the rear tire. Which is from getting on the power, ie: bad throttle control. I really like these tires. I like the way they fall in corners slower than the pilot powers. Only bad thing is that after 1500 miles the rear looks pretty worn? I don't think I will be getting much mileage out of them. Front wear is good, last set of BT-016 wore unevenly on the front of my GSXR. My bike handled great on the trip, suspension seems to work ok
O well, hopefully get to a track day soon. Bummer was, two local tracks to me, Buttonwillow & Willow Springs both had discount trackdays over Moto Gp weekend arrggh! Still Laguna was a blast.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
SuperBike

Track? Did someone say track?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Superstock

Track day reoprt tire feedback.

Ok finally went to the track on Satuday. This was a very last minute decision. Basically got up early Saturday morning and said **** it, I'm going to the track. I have been doing a lot of traveling this year and basically whenever there was a trackday I would be away that weekend.
So of to the Streets of Willow I go, yep leathers on, ride the bike 85 miles out to the track. Sign up for the "A" group! only group with any available space. Good thing was there could not have been more than about 15-20 riders at max. I have only rode on this track once before and that was over ten years ago. I had no memory of the track layout, and to be honest the only reason I have not been there in over ten years was because I didnt really like it. Track is very technical, ie: tight and twisty, with lots of surface changes and a few bumpy sections.
So get to the track around 8.AM, ten minutes to remove mirrors, pull lights and tape everything up. Get tech sticker, listen to safety meeting. 9:00AM hit the track. Arrrrr, first few laps were kinda of scary! not having any idea which way the track went was very embarrassing. Lucky for me there was a few other riders that were building there speed up slowly, so hooked on to the back of a couple of riders and gradually learned the track. Session over, went to see the local suspension guys to have the bike set up. 20 minutes and some major pre-load added to the rear shock the bike is all set-up.
Ok, now the tire review starts. I left it a little late to set up tire pressures! Yea I know, when I got to the track the tires were kinda of warm from riding on the street so I set them at 33F 32R. Thinking this would be a good base setting. Things were going great until the third session. 2nd session was really good, bike felt so much better with the suspension set-up. So neutral in corners, agile yet stable and still very compliant over the bumps.
By the 3rd session, I started to try and ride a little faster, and was able to catch and pass a few riders (slow like me) by the end of the session I had a few nice rear wheel slides exiting some of the slower and bumpier corners? Come in and tire gauge reads 34F 36R, Lower front back down to 33 and rear back down to 32. After this small change I had no more issues with the tires. Side grip was really confidence inspiring. Stability under braking the same, tire wear pattern was nice and clean across the whole tire surface. I really was impressed with these tires. They warm up quickly (one lap) everything about them gives you confidence to push on them. I feel they are a good match for the Superhawk, these tires have a more rounder profile than most other tires. So you feel more in control when tipping in to corners. You don't get that falling in to fast feeling. Overall a great tire, will use again for sure.
Outside air temps was in the mid 90's. So I'm sure the track temps were way high.
Overall a fun day at the track. Superhawk worked good, only issue as the day went on was with the brake lever coming back to the handlebar a little bit more than I would have liked. Brakes never faded, always felt good, just to much lever travel as they got hotter. I think some fresh brake fuild should solve this problem. Hopefully hit the next track day on Labor day, September the 5th at the big track (WILLOW SPRINGS) anyone local wants to go let me know. Also met another fellow Superhawk rider at this trackday "Pete" riding a red Superhawk with high pipes was having fun in the C group with a few of his friends. He was gracious enough to invite me into their pits, share their canopy and even some eats! Trackday people the best kind of riders.
For some reason I can't get these iphone photo's to load, so here is a link to them.

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 09-05-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 PM
SuperBike

Geez....after 10 years you went out and ran "A"???

I ain't going to the track with you! You'll make me look bad!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Superstock

No, not quite! I meant, it was ten years since I ran that particular track. Although it has been almost a year since I was on a race track? Been riding track for over 25 years I think now? Did a little racing back in the day. Just fun stuff now. Looking forward to Labor day weekend. That particular track I have thousands and thousands of laps on. Looking to set some good lap times!

Wish more people would track there hawks. Everyone tracks the SV650, the Superhawk is just as user friendly and makes a great track weapon.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Squid

racer187x is on a distinguished road
Would love to go to Willow Springs with my hawk. Still setting it up, suspension at Jamie Daugherty's, forks on the way back to me and the CBR shock is on its way out to him for conversion. Beyond that I need new leathers. I only have my leathers from supermoto racing and those are just the pants. I assume tech inspection is really similar to supermoto racing? Safety wire oil bolts/filter, tape lights etc?

Not sure I'll make the Labor Day one but I definitely have the itch to get this bike on the track.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Superstock

Tech inspection for most trackday companies go's no futher than taping up lights? Which I always think is a total waste of time?

What size are you? I have a spare set of leathers? Willow Springs big track is a very easy track to learn, only 9 turns. Very hard to be fast at? Still its a lot of fun on a Superhawk. Let me know if you want to go. With just the re-sprung front end your good to go. I even have a spare stock rear shock! I have run a Superhawk on a few trackdays with just the front end re-sprung, Worked great.

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 09-05-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Superstock

2700 miles!

Ok did my 2nd trackday on these tires. Started them out at 31F & 30R cold. Tires felt so good all day I left them alone. This was at Willow Springs big track. Pretty hot day almost reached 100F. Never had a single issue with the tires all day. Only minor complaint is that these tires are now totally shot! at 2700 miles. Front tire still has some tread, but rear is missing most of the tread pattern! Great trackday tire, not so great comuting tire? So two trackdays in the fast group, three canyon rides. One blast up to Laguna Seca for moto Gp from Los Angeles and they are done. I will post up an image of the rear tire soon. Another fun day on the Superhawk. My bike really handles great now that the suspension has been set up to my riding style (slow!)
To all you fellow Superhawk riders, get out on track, our bikes make a great track tool, very easy to ride.

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 09-05-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 AM
SuperBike

Very cool! Looks like a blast.

Hey...hows come those guys behind you look like they are hardly riding?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Superstock

What!

Errmmm!

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" ????

Hey Old Yeller, the guy directly behind me is one of my best buddies. He's a very fast smooth rider. He had not been on the track for about a year and half and was having a hard time in the first few sessions. Bikes a very fast 05 GSXR1000 with lots of nice mod's. For some reason I had few seconds on him per lap yesterday. In the end we had a lot of fun messing around on track together. The picture is just the 2nd in a string of 5.
Check out this link for picture's.

CaliPhotography.com > Motorsports > Willow Springs Raceway > 1000am

Go to page three for a really old dinosaur of Kawasaki being ridden really hard for a little bit! OUCH! he was ok.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
SuperBike

it's always fun to ride with someone, huh? Especially when they are comparable skills. I'm usually always by myself.

#192 was doing some serious leaning.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Superstock

hot diggity! running A group on a superhawk--meaning you're being way too modest lol. you've gotta be pretty fast man, not slow

always awesome reading feedback on tires from people. 2700 sounds about right from what ive read and seen :\ i would say i can pull 6 hard track days from a set, but that's on my 600rr--i also run them at a slightly higher PSI than you. none to very limited amount of street riding.

got a question for you though, would u run these tires again?

ive been on 211GPAs since april...and i love those tires, but ultimately, they're really expensive and they have a limited shelf life and need to be cared for in storage. im considering going back to the 003rs for these reasons. cant keep dropping $450 every few months to ride :\ especially when im not racing

looked at the tire wear from your first pics...really nice looking wear man! then i read your sig, you have a really nice suspension setup too haha. those ohlins shocks seem to be getting rarer by the day now man!

ever do buttonwillow out near bakersfield? if so maybe meet up some time. im out there pretty often. havent been back to streets/big willow in almost a year though unfortunately :\
Old 09-06-2011, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

I ran them on the track and found the 003s to be very good. I had to tinker with pressures more becuase I started out too low. My preference is Michelins though. I've also run Power Race, Power Pure combination. the nice part for me is setting the temps cold instead of hot on the 003s. I didn't have to tinker as much with the Michelins.

having said that, the only "problem" I had during the day I used them was the front tire feeling like it slipped under braking. raising the pressure slightly cured that and I didn't have any other issues.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Superstock

Got to agree with old yeller, great tire. Once you find a pressure that works.
Would I buy them again? yes for sure. Although Old Yeller found us a unbelievable price! $207.00 shipped!

Old Yeller I need a new set of tires you know of any other awesome tire deals at the moment?

For me tires have to serve more than just track duty, as my bike is also my daily rider ( I ride to all the track days I do!). I find that all of the new sport tires work pretty good at the track. Ones that stand out to me are Power ones, Power pures, Bt003rs, and the new Q2's. To be honest I just buy the cheapest sport tires I can find. For awhile I really liked the BT016, but after trying the BT003rs I don't think I would go back to them.

Yes I also ride Buttonwillow, I really like that track. kinda of like Willow Springs big track and streets of willow combined. Very fun track, just not so fun in the heat of summer!

Not done to many trackdays this year because we moved to North Carolina late last summer and been comuting back once a month to NC to visit wife and kids. So the trackday funds and time are very limited. Actually looking forward to running V.I.R and Carolina MSP with Old Yeller once I finally move (read find a job).

Are you racing with the GPA's 211 or just riding trackdays? Those are very spendy for just doing trackdays! Although lets be honest there is nothing cheap about riding track. Best thing about the BT003rs is no need for tire warmers? there are very cheap! and to me grip really well. Only negative I hear is from the 1000cc riders that say they slip/spin to easy once hot. I think for 600 and Superhawk riders they are a really good match.

If I do Buttonwillow this year I let you know. Maybe towards the end of the year?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Got to agree with old yeller, great tire. Once you find a pressure that works.
Would I buy them again? yes for sure. Although Old Yeller found us a unbelievable price! $207.00 shipped!

Old Yeller I need a new set of tires you know of any other awesome tire deals at the moment?

For me tires have to serve more than just track duty, as my bike is also my daily rider ( I ride to all the track days I do!). I find that all of the new sport tires work pretty good at the track. Ones that stand out to me are Power ones, Power pures, Bt003rs, and the new Q2's. To be honest I just buy the cheapest sport tires I can find. For awhile I really liked the BT016, but after trying the BT003rs I don't think I would go back to them.

Yes I also ride Buttonwillow, I really like that track. kinda of like Willow Springs big track and streets of willow combined. Very fun track, just not so fun in the heat of summer!

Not done to many trackdays this year because we moved to North Carolina late last summer and been comuting back once a month to NC to visit wife and kids. So the trackday funds and time are very limited. Actually looking forward to running V.I.R and Carolina MSP with Old Yeller once I finally move (read find a job).

Are you racing with the GPA's 211 or just riding trackdays? Those are very spendy for just doing trackdays! Although lets be honest there is nothing cheap about riding track. Best thing about the BT003rs is no need for tire warmers? there are very cheap! and to me grip really well. Only negative I hear is from the 1000cc riders that say they slip/spin to easy once hot. I think for 600 and Superhawk riders they are a really good match.

If I do Buttonwillow this year I let you know. Maybe towards the end of the year?
sounds good! yeah im using the 211gpas for track days only--no racing, though my friends were trying to convince me to do wsmc with them -_-. i actually came off the 003rs, and yes, im considering going back to them. been on the 003rs and 002rs before it for a few years, before switching to dunlop this year. great tire to learn on, and towards the end, i still felt that i had some more to learn left in those 003rs.

matter of fact, i forgot, i just went back to buttonwillow in july with the 003rs' on my rc51. hid this particular set of tires for a year, and probably 10 track days on them (lots of 1/2 days thrown in), dont think i encountered a slip once that day. i run warmers on really low setting with the 003rs though. i feel like starting to use warmers gave them a second life haha. not sure how much longer that particular set will pay dividends, but i definitely got my $'s worth for the track. they do occasional street duty now. then again, im not an exceedingly fast guy.

i was curious to see how others like the tires. the moto-media didnt give the 003rs too great of a review, though i still think they're a great tire. they dont give the greatest amount of feedback, but then again im comparing a dunlop race tire to a stone street tire...i still like the 003rs alot. glad to see others have liked it too .