Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Better crash protection for VTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
Better crash protection for VTR

I'm gonna say it up front that this might seem like a retarded post, but bare with me:

Many months ago I've wrecked my VTR (had an accident).

I'm thinking of gettin' a bike early next year, and the only one I've got my mind on is the VTR.

Before the crash I dropped the bike two times. (once some **** cut me off,without any signals or whatsoever, and another one due to my own stupidity).

Now I've come to learn that no matter how careful you are with your bike or how well you might think you can ride or how well you can look after yourself, **** is gonna happen, at some point.

After my second fall (at about 30km/h when the bike skidded on the asphalt on one side) ,I studied the damage and I leaned the (standing) bike gently on both sides, to see which parts are prone to damage,should the bike fall on either sides.

I've attached a pic with some parts/areas where I think damage will occur if a small crash/fall happens.

I've seen that stock exhausts (which I had) work very well as crash-pads (i've painted in green where the exhausts take the beating).

Protecting the parts of fairing which might take the 'hammering' is quite difficult/next to impossible, but I wanted to know if there is any protection for the clutch box ,some sort of tri-metallic brace which can be mounted over it, to prevent crack/damage if it skids on the asphalt.

This might sound dumb, because I assume that mounting standard crash-pads might prevent the clutch box getting damaged,but i'm not sure yet.

I believe that with stock exhaust and a pair of crashpads the bike should be ok at a gentle drop/minor fall.

Changing the exhausts to aftermarket ones will put some serious damage on the tail (fairing)

I don't wanna sound like some obsessive-compulsive suffering bloke,but why not do everything to prevent any damage, with very small costs, because these sort of damages can occur very easily.

This only applies in small crashes,of course, which can happen to anyone.

If you have any ideas, by all means......
Attached Thumbnails Better crash protection for VTR-vtr.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
there are a bunch of suppliers of the crash bobbin type protectors - they will help avoid major damage in a low speed tipover/slide. If the bike high sides or flips, who knows and you'll still get some damage.
These types of cages are also available. Someone had some fab'd up for the SH a long time ago and you might find some of those used. otherwise, the stunting suppliers will have them. They can impact cornering clearance if you are a very aggressive rider - so you'll want to check on that.

http://www.komodogear.com/store/vtr-...gine-cage.html
Old 12-11-2010, 12:17 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The stunting stuff is really for.....stunting. T-rex sliders have save my bike in 2 crashes (still same bodywork; no repair needed). You can get a set of F4i ones cheap to put as exhaust can sliders.
Attached Thumbnails Better crash protection for VTR-octo7-002.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 12:31 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
T-Rex slider are your best bet. Has saved my father's bike fairing twice. 1) drop in the drive way. 2)Real long slide, on Doggit Mtn. After the front end of the bike washed out. The T-Rex, bar-end, and exhaust can were killed. All were cheaper than the fairings, to repair, or replace..
Old 12-11-2010, 01:41 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
smokinjoe- you used F4i sliders there? I am interested in a cheap non "no-cut" option
Old 12-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Yep all the points you pointed out on there are exactly what hit on my last lay down. The whole section around the radiator will hit the pavement though because the turn signal will break. I know 905 Racing made a sort of half cage for the VTR, but I cannot find them anywhere.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Some sort of bars or stunter cage.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:51 AM
Back Marker

thanks for the opinions. a stunt-cage is out of the question.
I wanna ride a normal bike,not a stunt bike & look like retard that can't ride 2 wheels

I'm not addicted to aesthetics,but I can't ignore 'em all the way. I mean I'd rather ride with a small dent/crack in the fairing ,or polished exhausts than with a cage...

I was just looking for very very light body work that can minimize the damage of a potential fall/slide.

When I'll get the bike I'll definitely get some crash-pads (that will keep the fairing a bit more protected).

Still thinking of some sort of clutch cover...
And some sort of rings over the end of the (stock) muffler, to take all the sliding..
Old 12-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately no pictures, but T-Rex plus carbon fiber cover on the clutch/engine case and rigid footpegs meant that only those parts plus the blinkers where hurt when the bike and I skidded to a halt from 50 ish mph...

After that I replaced the CF covers, the delrin parts on the T-Rex aand the end of the footpegs, and the bar end weights and the bike looks new apart from a few very minor scratches on the fairing that I used touch up paint on...
Old 12-12-2010, 08:00 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by insider
I wanna ride a normal bike,not a stunt bike & look like retard that can't ride 2 wheels
well, you did say you've crashed once and dropped it twice already

but I agree, the cage setup isn't for me either. I just recall someone on this forum long ago getting some made and some other interest in them. I think one track school using SH used them also long ago. Good luck
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Back Marker

Tweety so you agree with my goals to find and make a bike more crash-friendly

any ideas /links where one can get clutch/engine case cover?
Can you also elaborate on the 'rigid foot-pegs' issue?

T-rex are crash-pads? Are they any different from other brands? Or is it something special about them?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM
MotoGP

T rex is just the brand. You can get them on ebay I believe. I have F4i on my daily bike & the "no cut" which are alot longer on the summer bike. The rest of my sliders were delrin you can buy in bar form from McMaster-carr.com by the foot and easily machine. It is almost cheaper to just buy F4i ones & just bolt them on at the passenger pegs. It is easily cut to adjust lenth. Bar ends can be made the same way.
Attached Thumbnails Better crash protection for VTR-slider-002.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
MotoGP

Tweety so you agree with my goals to find and make a bike more crash-friendly

any ideas /links where one can get clutch/engine case cover?
Can you also elaborate on the 'rigid foot-pegs' issue?

T-rex are crash-pads? Are they any different from other brands? Or is it something special about them?

Thanks
Trust me... I'm fighting the urge to say "go search" and walk away... I'm really fighting it... So just to satisfy me curiosity... Have you done any research on your own?

T-rex are a brand of crrash protectors, as has been said, and the CF case covers where of eBay, go search an they pop up now and then... S for the footpegs, click the image in my sig...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
This is hilarious. Please, keep going.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
My T-Rex sliders have saved me loads of $ in repairs since I got them.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
MotoGP

Tweety; the therapy is working, you resisted that urge to say go search!! Lets try to use this thread for somethng useful. Wouldn't it be better to bolt up some other slider type stuff on the cases? Aluminum like the race stuff? Will the carbon fiber hold up under stress? I haven't gone that far yet but it seems like a skidplate would make sense.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:12 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
4-pt mount & cross-braced case guards

the best coverage & light weight protection short of a Trojan I found...
Attached Thumbnails Better crash protection for VTR-ba-vtr-1-c.jpg   Better crash protection for VTR-lt-side-b4-penske-rr-hose-c.jpg   Better crash protection for VTR-ba-vtr-3.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Tweety; the therapy is working, you resisted that urge to say go search!! Lets try to use this thread for somethng useful. Wouldn't it be better to bolt up some other slider type stuff on the cases? Aluminum like the race stuff? Will the carbon fiber hold up under stress? I haven't gone that far yet but it seems like a skidplate would make sense.
Bah, humbug... It still annoys me when people obviuosly do no research on their own... So if the OP wan't that much constructive help from me, he still has the time to correct that...

As for the CF on the engine cases, I'm assuming that is what you are talking about? It held up just fine, in fact it didn't really need replacing after I went down, it was still good but looked nasty, I just replaced it for looks... It basically saved me from the classic grinding the case until it leaks problem... And it's just held on by silicone sealant...

The downside with stuff that you bolt on is the same as the advantage... It bolts on... Ie it's sitting firm, and when it gets hit, it transfers that hit to the bolts, potentially harming the case there even though it takes the grinding effect away...

The thinner CF doesn't much take away the hit, it still transfers that to the case, but not to any bolts specifically, but distributes it even over a larger area, since it's firmly up against the case... Reduces the chance of cracking the case from impact, and CF is a lot more resistant to grinding than alu engine cases...
Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by cliby

but I agree, the cage setup isn't for me either. I just recall someone on this forum long ago getting some made and some other interest in them. I think one track school using SH used them also long ago. Good luck
This is a technical section, not a moral one.
It's not relevant how many times i've dropped it or will drop it.
The subject in discussion is relevant.

I always come by these misconception that if you drop your bike you're some kind of retard idiot and as if accidents can ONLY happen out of your own fault.
Grow up
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

Tweety, that makes sense. I am just wanting case covers that are a little less sacraficial. Ones that could survive like a slider. On my race bike I put skid plates that I got off the bottom of a scateboard. Those saved my fairings at 100mph crashes. Maybe those over the CF ones.
Sidenote; Insider, every crash IS your own fault. The sooner you embrace this the safer you will be.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM
MotoGP

I always come by these misconception that if you drop your bike you're some kind of retard idiot and as if accidents can ONLY happen out of your own fault.
Grow up
No... This is a forum... That means whatever subject the majority prefers to discuss is relevant...

Dropping you bike while in the garage or at walking speed isn't an accident, it's a mishap... Those happen to anyone and in most cases whatever crash protection you have will really have no effect... The reason is simple, they aren't designed to take that type of damage, they are intended for sliding...

A traffic accident however means that you, me, who-ever is on the bike has made an error... That's fact, nothing else... Doesn't make you either retarded or an idiot, but it does mean that you are somewhat responsible...

Telling people that are helping you to grow up, however qualifies as unwise and somewhat rude... My interpretation on the events, not calling you names... Cya...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
No... This is a forum... That means whatever subject the majority prefers to discuss is relevant...

Dropping you bike while in the garage or at walking speed isn't an accident, it's a mishap... Those happen to anyone and in most cases whatever crash protection you have will really have no effect... The reason is simple, they aren't designed to take that type of damage, they are intended for sliding...

A traffic accident however means that you, me, who-ever is on the bike has made an error... That's fact, nothing else... Doesn't make you either retarded or an idiot, but it does mean that you are somewhat responsible...

Telling people that are helping you to grow up, however qualifies as unwise and somewhat rude... My interpretation on the events, not calling you names... Cya...

Telling people that are helping you to grow up, however qualifies as unwise and somewhat rude... My interpretation on the events, not calling you names... Cya...[/quote]

This is no place for philosophy, in my opinion.

I do believe that with some protection (crash-pads ,etc) even droppin' the bike in the garage or other type of mishap can have lighter repercusions on the fairings/bike itself..

I strongly disagree that a traffic accident for a rider for instance, is always his fault (meaning he made an error).

If a human being (a rider) can't look in front of him, watch the speedo, look side-ways & look in the mirrors, ALL IN THE SAME TIME means that he is MAKING A MISTAKE,then OK, I agree with you.
Being human is faulty.

Example: You're sitting at a traffic light. It's red. You're looking forward, you're looking sideways, and you're also checking the rear view mirror for some **** that could rear end you. You see a call aproaching behind you,coming to the stop, at very slow speed. What if the idiot, instead of finally braking & putting the car to a complete halt, accidentally speeds up, very little,but enough to give you a small bump & knock you off the bike?
Let's say this occurs when he's 3 metres away from you, behind. What sort of reflexes would you need to avoid that,not to mention that it would never cross your mind that he could possibly accelerate when he's 2-3 metres behind & almost coming to a stop.

You simply cannot convince me that for each accident, the victim is guilty as well. It's the same thing as saying that he's guilty the minute he steps on his bike..
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Bah, humbug... It still annoys me when people obviuosly do no research on their own... So if the OP wan't that much constructive help from me, he still has the time to correct that...

As for the CF on the engine cases, I'm assuming that is what you are talking about? It held up just fine, in fact it didn't really need replacing after I went down, it was still good but looked nasty, I just replaced it for looks... It basically saved me from the classic grinding the case until it leaks problem... And it's just held on by silicone sealant...

The downside with stuff that you bolt on is the same as the advantage... It bolts on... Ie it's sitting firm, and when it gets hit, it transfers that hit to the bolts, potentially harming the case there even though it takes the grinding effect away...

The thinner CF doesn't much take away the hit, it still transfers that to the case, but not to any bolts specifically, but distributes it even over a larger area, since it's firmly up against the case... Reduces the chance of cracking the case from impact, and CF is a lot more resistant to grinding than alu engine cases...
I don't know exactly how that thin CF would look/fit, but it would serve the purpose.
As stated by yourself, it's much wiser to use soft stuff, which will dissipate the impact force much better than some rigid-bolt-on stuff.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
MotoGP

This is no place for philosophy, in my opinion.

I do believe that with some protection (crash-pads ,etc) even droppin' the bike in the garage or other type of mishap can have lighter repercusions on the fairings/bike itself..

I strongly disagree that a traffic accident for a rider for instance, is always his fault (meaning he made an error).

If a human being (a rider) can't look in front of him, watch the speedo, look side-ways & look in the mirrors, ALL IN THE SAME TIME means that he is MAKING A MISTAKE,then OK, I agree with you.
Being human is faulty.

Example: You're sitting at a traffic light. It's red. You're looking forward, you're looking sideways, and you're also checking the rear view mirror for some **** that could rear end you. You see a call aproaching behind you,coming to the stop, at very slow speed. What if the idiot, instead of finally braking & putting the car to a complete halt, accidentally speeds up, very little,but enough to give you a small bump & knock you off the bike?
Let's say this occurs when he's 3 metres away from you, behind. What sort of reflexes would you need to avoid that,not to mention that it would never cross your mind that he could possibly accelerate when he's 2-3 metres behind & almost coming to a stop.

You simply cannot convince me that for each accident, the victim is guilty as well. It's the same thing as saying that he's guilty the minute he steps on his bike..
Well... Lucky for me then, your opinion isn't a basis for rules any more than mine... Just a starting point for a discussion... And I happen to think this is an excellent place for philosophy...

I agree, chrash protection can lessen the damage of a tip-over/drop... But they can just as well increase it... There wasa thread not too long ago when someone dropped his bike of the service stand and the crash protector was bent, made a dent in the frame and made the insurance co total the bike... Without the protector the damage would probably have been replacing fairings and not a total... But like I said, both options are valid...

As for the guilt part... Yeah, there are a few accidents that it doesn't apply to... Those involve the type you mentioned... Someone having a brainfart and hitting the accelerator instead of the brake just behind your rearwheel, or a drunk driver switching into oncoming traffic for no apparent reason...

But those are pretty rare in comparasion to all the other accidents... In all the other accidents there are a warning sign... The car behind you at the lights is coming a bit too fast, so move... The light being green doesn't automatically mean that the morons on the cross street isn't going to t-bone you, and so on...

And in all of those, the rider did make one or two miniscule errors that contributed to the accident, without exception... You can choose to believe otherwise, but in my opinion, if you accept it and start thinking from that viewpoint, you increase your chance of avoiding accidents...

In the example above, if that vehicle lurched about, or behaved in any other way erraticly before launching itself at you at the red light and you didn't get out of the way, then you made an error... In many, many cases there was a warning that we missed... Not always, but a lot of the times...

The reason I'm even discussing this, and not calling it "offtopic" is that I'd say it has some relevance... You can't really protect your bike from tip-overs or highspeed impacts... That would mean wrapping them in foam or something equally silly... What you can do is save the parts that are expensive to replace, and those that you can't replace but have to re-grow, ie your parts... So know this, and plan what type of damage you are protecting the bike and you against...

The rigid, non folding footpegs are a distinct example of this... They don't fold up, instead the leave some room for your foot to get out relatively unharmed... But they can cause an accident since they don't fold...

On my bike, I have delrin sliders on the fork, the swingarm and T-rex protectors, as well as the tips of the footpegs... Those are somewhat discrete but saves me a lot of money in potentially ground down parts...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 AM
MotoGP

I don't know exactly how that thin CF would look/fit, but it would serve the purpose.
As stated by yourself, it's much wiser to use soft stuff, which will dissipate the impact force much better than some rigid-bolt-on stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Better crash protection for VTR-cover.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
SuperBike

Grow up

nothing moral about my comment, I gave you a suggestion for several options including the most protective device I know of. You mocked it calling it 'retarded' I believe (for all you know I could be using a cage device like that). I think there is some growing up potential here, but suggest you just try to meet people half way. Its a very helpful friendly forum, but do some searching first, and if someone suggest something as an option don't mock it. And finally, not to be too P.C. but who uses the term retarded like that outside of teenagers? If you've had any personal experience with learning disabled it really hits a nerve when you throw it around like you do.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
T rex is just the brand. You can get them on ebay I believe. I have F4i on my daily bike & the "no cut" which are alot longer on the summer bike. The rest of my sliders were delrin you can buy in bar form from McMaster-carr.com by the foot and easily machine. It is almost cheaper to just buy F4i ones & just bolt them on at the passenger pegs. It is easily cut to adjust lenth. Bar ends can be made the same way.
No! don't get the cheap knock off ones. I did and the slider snapped right off. The bolt stripped all the threads in the mount and ruined all kinds of my bodywork. I got the actuall T-Rex sliders now and I put a nut on the back of the mount to make sure the long bolt does pull out.

Here's the 905 cage I saw:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...=frame+sliders
Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Back Marker

A few replies back you've made a statement, and I quote: "A traffic accident however means that you, me, who-ever is on the bike has made an error... That's fact, nothing else..."

I was only arguing that.
I never said that most of the accidents occur out of simple misfortune,but rather somebody's fault. But you can't ignore the fact that there are accidents which can't be avoided/predicted. And they are not as few as you'd wish/expect.

My example with the idiot behind, rear-ending you, is very precise, and it points to the situation where that persno didn't give out any warning/signs that he might rear-end you at the last second.

And even with a scenario where you catch a glimpse of an idiot coming in too fast in your rear mirror, 80% of situations you won't have enough time to put it in gear and move away. Or even if you do have it in gear, where do you go? in front, in cross-coming traffic? to the left (in collision with other vehicles who are coming your way?), to the right where? in a car near you? It's not rocket science. not to mention you have to think this in a split second, before that's exactly what you have, 1 or 2 seconds tops, before the idiot crashes into you.
It's not like you can see him alwasy 100 metres away,behind and you have time to roll out of his way doing a wheelie and saluting....

Now on topic:
A bike will never be safe, unless you keep it in the garage (and even there accidents DO happen,stupid ones especially)

I'm not with mounting extended bars & sh|t because I love the way the firestorm looks and I don't wanna transform it into some sort of R1150 GS looking thing, just for the sake of the fairings & etc.

I wanna make it as "lightCRASH-resistant" as possible with as little aesthetics intrusion as possible and with as little cash possible (because it wouldn't be WISE to spend a larger amount of money on making the bike like a tank, than it would cost to repair it, would it?)

I'm only aiming to protect the bike from sliding on the asphalt and minor falls (at small speeds).

If anything greater/serious would occur, the shape of the bike would be the last thing on anybody's mind, rather then the health of the rider.

Now for the retarded bit of the question: Where could one get one of those CF covers? or out of what other type of material/metal cand one be manufactured and how should it be glued/sticked to the clutch case. Having the dissipation of heat in mind,as well,as we don't wanna obstruct the cooling of the case, as well.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
And even with a scenario where you catch a glimpse of an idiot coming in too fast in your rear mirror, 80% of situations you won't have enough time to put it in gear and move away. Or even if you do have it in gear, where do you go? in front, in cross-coming traffic? to the left (in collision with other vehicles who are coming your way?), to the right where? in a car near you? It's not rocket science. not to mention you have to think this in a split second, before that's exactly what you have, 1 or 2 seconds tops, before the idiot crashes into you.
It's not like you can see him alwasy 100 metres away,behind and you have time to roll out of his way doing a wheelie and saluting....
I'm not trying to be abrasive here, but I have a feeling that every scenario you present will have some sort of way to avoid it...

When I read defensive riding books and listen to experienced (alive) riders, they have addressed this scenario before, so here goes:

1) Always have your bike in gear- sometimes I don't but that's at 5am when there are zero cars in sight and I want to adjust my helmet or something.

2) When pulling up to a stoplight behind a car, align yourself in a way so that if you have to make a quick go, you can. I tend to line up on the left side of the car and give myself a couple of feet so it won't be uncomfortable to pull beside it or past it. Gives you a better view of what's in front of you too I've found. If I come to a stoplight and I'm in front, I usually give a few feet so that I can make a 90 degree turn either way without entering perpendicular traffic. It doesn't take that much space really...

3) As for having a split second to think, my opinion is that you have more. Just run through the steps: If a car is coming up, pay attention to it. If it's coming up really fast (50mph) you will probably notice that something isn't right sooner than 10 feet behind you. Cars don't just gun it until the last second to stop. Most people slow down. Same for if you're slowing down to turn with cars behind you- if they don't notice you, you can often tell. I'm always paranoid of a rear end b/c I hear horror stories all the time- A few on this forum. Sometimes drivers make mistakes, but if you plan for it an "oh ****" moment followed by a crash can often become just another day of riding. I've had more than one situation that later reflection made me realize that if I hadn't been alert I could have been in trouble.

That being said, we're all human and no one can get it right 100% of the time, I just like making my odds better and am always willing to listen to new techniques and tips.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I'm not trying to be abrasive here, but I have a feeling that every scenario you present will have some sort of way to avoid it...

When I read defensive riding books and listen to experienced (alive) riders, they have addressed this scenario before, so here goes:

1) Always have your bike in gear- sometimes I don't but that's at 5am when there are zero cars in sight and I want to adjust my helmet or something.

2) When pulling up to a stoplight behind a car, align yourself in a way so that if you have to make a quick go, you can. I tend to line up on the left side of the car and give myself a couple of feet so it won't be uncomfortable to pull beside it or past it. Gives you a better view of what's in front of you too I've found. If I come to a stoplight and I'm in front, I usually give a few feet so that I can make a 90 degree turn either way without entering perpendicular traffic. It doesn't take that much space really...

3) As for having a split second to think, my opinion is that you have more. Just run through the steps: If a car is coming up, pay attention to it. If it's coming up really fast (50mph) you will probably notice that something isn't right sooner than 10 feet behind you. Cars don't just gun it until the last second to stop. Most people slow down. Same for if you're slowing down to turn with cars behind you- if they don't notice you, you can often tell. I'm always paranoid of a rear end b/c I hear horror stories all the time- A few on this forum. Sometimes drivers make mistakes, but if you plan for it an "oh ****" moment followed by a crash can often become just another day of riding. I've had more than one situation that later reflection made me realize that if I hadn't been alert I could have been in trouble.

That being said, we're all human and no one can get it right 100% of the time, I just like making my odds better and am always willing to listen to new techniques and tips.
If I see a car coming up behind me I tend to flash my brakelight at them so that they don't confuse it with the brakelight of the car in front of me.

Quick Reply: Better crash protection for VTR