SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   BACKFIRE (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/backfire-14152/)

TheRezyReb 03-26-2008 06:56 AM

BACKFIRE

Ok, I have a one off exhaust(free flowing). Bike runs great, but when I let out of the gas(no clutch)I get a few pops here and there. Sounds kinda like a lean condition. My question is, is this because of the different jetting between the 2 carbs? Should I worry about it?

divingindaytona 03-26-2008 07:08 AM

First of all is the pair disabled. This will cause popping with aftemarket cans.

Secondly the popping on decel is a lean condition. The generally means that the bike is way lean. This is caused because both cards are running lean.

MarineHawk 03-26-2008 07:53 AM

A 1000cc V-twin is going to have a couple pops every now and then, with or without pair, it's just the character of the bike and not a bad thing at all. Of course, you can do everything DD just reccomended and probably take care of 95% of any pop the bike has, but beyond that, as long as it's not a consistent carb fart (vice exhaust hiccup), you'll be fine. Some of us even like it ;)

filter69 03-26-2008 08:02 AM

so any why to get fire to shoot out when it backfires ? i think that would solve most of my "tailgating" problems around here.....:evillaugh:

TheRezyReb 03-26-2008 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by filter69 (Post 157263)
so any why to get fire to shoot out when it backfires ? i think that would solve most of my "tailgating" problems around here.....:evillaugh:

Sure, don't touch the clutch ,just hit the off switch, wrap the throttle a couple of times then cut the switch back on(do all of this as fast as possible), makes for a nice flame. I don't condon this, this can blow the cards out of the boots.

drew_c14 03-26-2008 08:59 AM

Like said before, check the PAIR. If it has already been removed check to make sure the caps are still in place.

You are on the money with being lean, just a mater of finding out why.

TheRezyReb 03-26-2008 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by divingindaytona (Post 157257)
First of all is the pair disabled. This will cause popping with aftemarket cans.

Secondly the popping on decel is a lean condition. The generally means that the bike is way lean. This is caused because both cards are running lean.

Not sure about the pairs system, the bike was set up when I bought it. I have a dyno sheet showing in the neighborhood of 118hp. However it was set up in Nebraska and I'm in Ms.

drew_c14 03-26-2008 12:19 PM

118...that's not bad at all

MarineHawk 03-26-2008 01:13 PM

Maybe at the crank.

TheRezyReb 03-27-2008 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by drew_c14 (Post 157275)
Like said before, check the PAIR. If it has already been removed check to make sure the caps are still in place.

You are on the money with being lean, just a mater of finding out why.

ok, sorry new to these bikes. It has the two brother's block off plates, I assume this is means that the pairs system has been removed. I should mention that the muffler is only about 10 or 11 inches long.

supermarto 03-27-2008 08:52 AM

Mine was pilot screws being out of whack and my carbs needed a synch... I have had no loud reports since then.