Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

back to running on one cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Back Marker

dickard37 is on a distinguished road
back to running on one cylinder

Ok! once again I'm only hitting on one cylinder.

A bit of history first. I was having this issue a couple weeks ago where the bike was doing this intermitent miss. I thought maybe it was a coil going bad but as I was looking and with the help of this forum I checked a couple other things first. I checked all the vaccum lines and found a hole in the line going to the petcock. I fixed that and things seemed to be fine for a few days. Now I have swapped the old coils out for the CBR stick coils the other day and everything was going good until today.

I went to the gym today and everything was fine on the trip there. When I was ready to go I fired up the beast and went down the road a ways and she starts missing again. It died when I stopped but when I fired her up again all was smooth again all the way home, about 20 miles.

I let her sit for a couple hours and went out to start it and it did the same thing, only running on one cylinder. So I pulled her into the garage and started taking her apart. When I pulled the tank off I immediately notice the rear carb fuel line had no fuel in it. Upon further inspection, once I had removed the carbs, I found that the rear fuel bowl was empty; where as the front bowl was full. I checked the petcock diaphram and there are no tears or holes and I applied some vacuum to it as well and it held. The screen however was in bad shape, not dirty, but torn. I'm gonna order a new one. I put the petcock back together and applied a little vaccum to it and fuel flowed from both sides freely. I checked all the fuel lines and vaccum lines and none were kinked or blocked or anything like that. I cleaned all the insides of the rear carb with Lucas and compressed air thinking that maybe something was clogged up or I had a stuck float or something. I haven't got her put back together yet so I was wondering what your guys' thoughts are to as why the rear carb is not getting fuel?

Last edited by dickard37; 07-23-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
If fuel is flowing and the line is clear, check the fuel inlet for blockage. I assume the float and the needle move freely. Remove the float and needle, then blow out the inlet with carb spray.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
If fuel is flowing and the line is clear, check the fuel inlet for blockage. I assume the float and the needle move freely. Remove the float and needle, then blow out the inlet with carb spray.
Yeah I checked float and needle. I blew it all out with carb cleaner and compressed air. I'll have it all put back together tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Did you replace the bad vacuum line, or just "fix" it? The stock tubing is not all that good, replace the vacuum with nice fuel line and use pinch clamps. I think that you covered the other "usual suspects", so my guess is that it will work when you put it back together.

Onto the next topic, can you give us some insight to the origin of your member name? Thank you.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by residentg
Onto the next topic, can you give us some insight to the origin of your member name? Thank you.
Well my name is Richard, and we all know what the nick name is for that, so I just combined them both and came up with dickard and the 37 was just my age at the time ....... lol
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Ran into a guy at a local store whose name was Richard Richards, I guess everyone calls him Dick Dick. If he's a Sr. then it would be Big Dick, but his son would have esteem issues due to being known as Little Dick.....
Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Ran into a guy at a local store whose name was Richard Richards, I guess everyone calls him Dick Dick. If he's a Sr. then it would be Big Dick, but his son would have esteem issues due to being known as Little Dick.....
LMFAO!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Back Marker

Ok! I got her back together and she still does this stupid crap!

I have a theory though hehe!

I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the petcock because everytime I stop for a while and let her sit she starts this missing, running outta gas acting crap; and because the rear carb fuel line is on the upper side of the petcock when the bike is on it's side stand, it is therefore not retaining the fuel somehow. But this doesn't make sense either because it doesn't lean that far over..... IDK (confused) but it runs really well as long as I don't stop.

HMMMMMMMM maybe thats how to fix it, just don't stop!!!!!!!

Last edited by dickard37; 07-24-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:48 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
blocked vent on the carb?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
OR maybe you are not getting fuel to your rear carb due to an obstruction in the fuel line.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Or a pinhole leak on the line... Will make the line go empty when sitting, and will make the bike run poorly...