SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   APE CCT noise difference (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/ape-cct-noise-difference-21370/)

Whittaz 01-24-2010 06:48 PM

APE CCT noise difference

Hi all,

I've just had APE CCT's installed by a local shop and I've noticed a difference in sound from the oem set (engine through to exhaust).

It's pretty much a ticking sound that varies with the revs of the bike. I'm assuming this is due to the APE CCT's not having the rubber tip that the oem set has. I'm not that experienced when it comes to cam chain noise but I would have thought a loose chain would be fairly loud and easy to spot.

I'm just curious if this is normal with the APE set as I'm not confident in making adjustments knowing what can go wrong.

Little_Horse 01-24-2010 07:06 PM

it may be needing to be tightened just a little. When I switched mine out the sounded exactly the same.

RK1 01-24-2010 11:28 PM

The OEM CCTs I pulled from my bike don't have rubber tips. I doubt yours do either.

When I installed my APEs, the rear was fine finger tight. The front was clanking/rattling loud as hell.

Start the bike and tighten the manuals until the noise goes away.

Whittaz 01-25-2010 12:22 AM

Seems the rear was a little loose. Tightened to spec and it sounds normal again!

Thanks all.

ranchomice 01-27-2010 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 251486)
The OEM CCTs I pulled from my bike don't have rubber tips. I doubt yours do either.

When I installed my APEs, the rear was fine finger tight. The front was clanking/rattling loud as hell.

With your fingers, not a wrench, right?

RK1 01-27-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ranchomice (Post 251776)
With your fingers, not a wrench, right?

Unless you've got REALLY strong fingers, you'll need a wrench!

For me, "finger tight" means turn with my fingers until it stops moving and my fingers start hurting. If it still sounds rattle can when you start it, you'll need a wrench to crank it down while it's running, and keep cranking 'till it stops making noise.

Tweety 01-27-2010 09:07 AM

The term "finger tight" is just to give a reasonable starting point... Then of course you need a wrench, but not a long handle and all your might... A light touch should be enough...

Puff998 01-27-2010 02:25 PM

When I had my APE's put in three years ago after a failure (rear) ,The shop I use unintentionally put the rear too tight.The bike would barely turn over.That was a shop ...go figure!!

ranchomice 02-05-2010 09:48 AM

Is a full turn in either direction too much? I followed these instructions and when I got to a full turn with no change, I went back. How much turn does it take?

ranchomice 02-17-2010 12:00 AM

I guess some specific questions never really get answered here huh. Not starting a new thread, it will just get jumped on as being redundant.

REDVTR1000 02-17-2010 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 251486)

I did mine a couple of months ago and low and behold... rubber tips on the stock cct! I do not know if this was all models but i do not see why they would put them on some but not others. Either way, to the op, mine sounded exactly the same after the install. give it a quarter turn and see how it sounds. probably just need to be tightened.

ranchomice 02-18-2010 12:14 AM

I went about a full turn in and a full turn out (to check loose and tight) with no change. Anyone experience the need to turn more than a full turn either way. I had a shop put them in so it's hard to say what their starting point was.

nath981 02-22-2010 04:48 AM

I would sooner err on the side of less than more. Loosen the lock nut, back off the bolt a little, hand tighten till you feel that it stops, put a little torque on it with a small wrench to make sure it was up against when you finger tightened. You can back it off a couple times to get familiar with where it stops. If it turns nice and free, you can finger tighten, hold it against the stop with a wrench and secure lock nut. This is how i do mine and it's quiet. If you hear any tapping then tighten a hair with a small wrench, but i've never had to do this.

you can check adjustment periodically and/or if you detect a noise/ticking sound.

ranchomice 03-04-2010 09:00 AM

Never got it right! Noise never changed at all. The shop put new stockers in and it purrs like a kitten.

nath981 03-04-2010 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ranchomice (Post 256115)
Never got it right! Noise never changed at all. The shop put new stockers in and it purrs like a kitten.

wow. that's weird. wonder what was wrong with the ones they took off. Good to get it right after all that shit, but would be interesting to know what was wrong with the ones they removed.