Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Anyone else had their exhaust down pipes turn red.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
Anyone else had their exhaust down pipes turn red.

Has anyone else had their exhaust start glowing red when theyve had the choke on for a while. I had my choke on for 5 minutes the other day and the pipe started turning red. This is probably the 3rd time its happened. Its strange. the bike will be idling at 2k rpm and then it spikes when it gets warm to 3k rpm. I called honda and they told me this is normal because its a single wall thing stainless pipe and their is no wind going over it and its running at high idle. The bike is a 98 with 20k miles on it with a set of microns on it. Im assuming whoever the kid was that dropped $800.00 on the pipes probably had it jetted so i dont think its running lean. LEt me know what you guys think.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
More fuel makes for hotter exhaust gases. Granted the combustion temps will be cooler with more fuel, but the fuel still has to release it's energy somewhere if it can't be burnt in the cylinder.

I suggest you just choke it to get the motor going then turn it off right away. You will eventually foul a plug or 2.
If you need more rpm to keep it going after you turn the choke off just give the idle screw a turn till it is happy.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
Re: Anyone else had their exhaust down pipes turn red.

Its weird no one else replied to this. I was sure i wasnt the only one with a glowing red exhaust pipe. but apparently i am... or just among those who red this . I talked to a local tuner who told me its totally normal and is designed to get extremly hot for an "afterburn" effect. Something to help out with emmissions a bit.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:09 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
First, never put the choke on for more than 1 minute. The manual says 1 minute max. I ususally put it on for like 30 sec.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike

With the choke on for 30 seconds to a minute does the bike get up to a safe operating temp? Like could i ride away without rompin on the thing with no problems ?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:40 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by nfbzike";p=&quot
With the choke on for 30 seconds to a minute does the bike get up to a safe operating temp? Like could i ride away without rompin on the thing with no problems ?
No, but you can ride it. "Rompin'" ought to be avoided until its fully warmed up.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:22 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

"Warming up" an engine is not like it was years ago. The faster you can warm up an engine to its normal temp the better, so the best way to do this is to ride off gently. I generally start the bike and then put on my jacket, helmet and gloves, and then ride off gently.

As an example, Porsche reccommends you do not let their cars idle to warm up.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Squid

A Team

I have an 05 Hawk and it glowed for me the other night. I only noticed it because it was dark out. The choke had only been on for about 2 minutes; and after reading this thread I am going to shorten that time.
My first bike was an yzf 600r, and it always needed the choke for atleast 3 minutes plus.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Back Marker

cb21983
I rarely ever use the choke. I just hold the throtle open a little and take off. I ride her gently until the temp gauge gets to about the 1/4 mark. My buddies CBR600RR says not to start riding until the bike is at 120 degrees.