Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Adjusting Rear Spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Newb
Squid

Beast is on a distinguished road
Adjusting Rear Spring

I need to adjust the rear but I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it. Is there a tool I need to buy?
I did do a search on this but I couldn't find anything helpful.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
There is a tool in the tool bag that came with the bike, if you got one. Look in the toolbag under the seat, it is like a mis-shaped open end wrench with kind of a "tooth" on it.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
If you can't figure it out- It is safer to have a professional show you how..
Safety first...
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
if you look at the bottom of the shock it looks like a crown of sorts. you take that half open wrench and put it on there and either turn it left or right depending on if you want the spring tighter or softer. itll take some muscle as its likely full of dirt and tight. but itll move. and then on the right hand side on the very bottom is a little screw for the damping adjustments.

yoiu know i just second guessed myself, is the adjuster for the spring on the top or the bottom? lol. regardless look for a thing that looks like a crown it sits on a threaded sleeve. and the tool is a 2 piece. the first is a pipe that looks like its been run over and it flat, that becomes the handle. the second looks like a question mark.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Newb
Squid

Thanks guys, I assumed it would be a tool similar to a spanner wrench. My bike did not come with it. The crown is at the top. I checked ebay but didn't come across anything. Is there somewhere you know will have these?

Now that you brought that up uchi, how do I adjust the damping?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... To improve the characteristics of the stock shock, you just replace it with a nice pine 2*4... It will improve, I promise...

And if you don't like that suggestion, well, uchi just told you how... Look at the bottom of the shock, there is a slot for a screwdriver (black against the aluminium)... Turn that either way (there is a marking hard-soft)...

According to the manual it's supposed to change how the shock feels... It might actually have done that when it was new, I can't tell you for sure, but I highly doubt it will now... My advice, go look for an aftermarket shock or have a look at Jamie Daugherty's retrofitted F4i shocks...
Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Newb
Squid

2x4, huh? About how long should I cut that?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Newb
Squid

I think it is already an aftermarket, when I get some time I will have to take a closer look at it.. Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Tweety, you are priceless. I've been a member of this forum for just under a year and I'd have to say you have been consistent from the first time I logged on right through to this fine demonstration of your attitude to new people reaching out to what they think are friendly fellow SuperHawk riders for a little help. I recall my first question and how warm and fuzzy I felt when you answered with a less then stellar remark. It sure made me want ask more questions and be part of this forum. Well, I stayed on and have enjoyed being part of this forum dispite your tasteless answers. Let's hope other "newbies" have skin as thick as mine.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Newb
Squid

There are very few people with skin as thick as mine. I know it is just for fun, hence my smart-*** reply.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:05 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm... I thought Tweety's answer was right on - and the suggestion to see Jamie is the most valuable part.
In any case, my bike didn't come with the tool kit either. I found my big pump pliers did the trick for turning the preload
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2912#sch1743 if you want to do it the OEM way- #6
Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NH-Raptor
Tweety, you are priceless. I've been a member of this forum for just under a year and I'd have to say you have been consistent from the first time I logged on right through to this fine demonstration of your attitude to new people reaching out to what they think are friendly fellow SuperHawk riders for a little help. I recall my first question and how warm and fuzzy I felt when you answered with a less then stellar remark. It sure made me want ask more questions and be part of this forum. Well, I stayed on and have enjoyed being part of this forum dispite your tasteless answers. Let's hope other "newbies" have skin as thick as mine.
You know this not the right place for it, so you get the short version...

What in my answer was "a fine demonstration of my attitude" ?

The stock shock is bad... It was bad in 97 because Honda pinched pennies, and it's even worse now since it's not rebuildable and with a few year on the oil inside it isn't improving... On a brand new VTR it's "OK" if you are the correct weight for it... If you aren't the the adjustment range on it isn't very good... While you might be satified with yours, unless you have tried an aftermarket or otherwise fresh one, you might be surprised how that feels in comparasion...

Instead of typing this all this and more out, I used humour... It was pretty clear that it was humour with the smilie... Beast interpreted it as such and understood it...

You didn't... That's your issue...

Since it was unclear if Beast misunderstood uchi or didn't find the adjuster It's not that obvious if you are used to looking at the blingy aftermarket or newer model shocks where the adjuster is on a VTR stock shock... So I re-stated and clarified it, and I then added information that I though would be usefull, ie that there are a low cost alternative to aftermarket replacement shocks...

If you have problem with me, take it up in PM... If you neglect to do so and do it publicly instead, expect me to ignore you from now on...

BTW I happen to have a good memory, your first post was asking if a blown up CCT at whatever mileage was the norm... I told you to go research the recent threads on CCT failures... Considering that there was (and still are) more than 100+ on CCT's and about a dozen or so polls with what mileage they blew up, I thought then and still think that the answer I gave was warranted... If you didn't like the message, tough luck, it's not going to change... If you disliked the tone, as I said, take it up with me personally...
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Newb
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2912#sch1743 if you want to do it the OEM way- #6
Can't be displayed..

@ Tweety;
I understood what uchi was saying but I was asking if there were more to just twisitng it one way or the other..

I think you guys took it both the wrong way from each other.

I did find out that the spring is aftermarket but unknown what the spring rate or the manufacturer is. I may just end up having to do a full swap. As a daily around towner the setting isn't bad but if I were to get more aggressive with it I don't think it'd do so hot.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Beast
Can't be displayed..

@ Tweety;
I understood what uchi was saying but I was asking if there were more to just twisitng it one way or the other..

I think you guys took it both the wrong way from each other.

I did find out that the spring is aftermarket but unknown what the spring rate or the manufacturer is. I may just end up having to do a full swap. As a daily around towner the setting isn't bad but if I were to get more aggressive with it I don't think it'd do so hot.
As for NH-Raptor... Well... He's complained before, publicly... I gave him a similar answer that time as well... I'll deal with him in PM...

Well... The idea behind it is that you set the shock up with the spring tension so that it sags 25-30 mm with you on it in the rear... Then you set the damping at a point where you get controlled movement, ie no bouncing about and not slow movement (to much)... Unfortunately that's why the stock shock isn't very good... You have no rebound setting, and the damping setting makes as far as I could tell little or no difference from end to end...

Unfortunately an aftermarket spring on the stock shock will do nothing to cure that problem... It might even make it worse...

But more importantly, you need balance in the settings, front and back to have an enjoyable ride... And with stock components that's almost impossible... The stock forks are decent, and even good once you have them setup with springs suiting your weight... Doing that and a F4i shock in the rear isn't very expensive...

Here is a link with a step by step that seems decent... http://www.gostar-racing.com/informa...ion_set-up.htm

Last edited by Tweety; 11-18-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
MotoGP

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...19/Group/TOOLS

The no 6 & 17 make up the tool for adjusting the spring on the stock shock... Dunno if it's the same on yours since it apparently isn't stock anymore... Could help with a picture to identify things...
Old 11-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Newb
Squid

Awesome thanks for the links. The crown and everything are the same just the spring is different. $70 for the whole thing isn't bad at all for a tool kit.

I think it'll be a while before I am able to swap anything out, until then I'll have to make do with the stuff I have. Great info though,. Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Is your spring blue? As far as tweety, he's just like many of us here. It's hard to get "emotion" through text! I thoght he was an *** at first too. It turns out he is...but he's a smart ***, not an *** $%#e, lol LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE! Welcome to the unofficial superhawk forum! Enjoy the ride.
ps. Jamie is a good place to go with suspension questions.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Newb
Squid

No, it is Yellow.

I'm not to worried about it though. Jamie? What's his SN?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM
MotoGP

Long thread, but there are goodies spread out inside... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight=f4i+shock
Old 11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
His screenname is Jamiedaugherty
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
+1 on Tweety bein' an a-hole. He even managed to destroy my bike through his conniving ways from across the Atlantic; Convinced me to take it all apart because 'frames should be strait for the street as well as the track' and 'you may want to get that looked at so you don't end up in the ditch' or some bull sh*t like that. I don't even remember the details 'cause I was lost in the jargon but nevertheless he should not be trusted!

heh.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Tweety, you can ignore me after this.

Please accept this apology for my outburst against you this morning. The lesson learned here for me is not to air any of my percieved dirty laundry on a public forum.

Now you can ignore me!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Beast
No, it is Yellow.

I'm not to worried about it though. Jamie? What's his SN?
Hmm the yellow spring is the stock color for the stock shock...The stock shock is rediculously outdated for any aggressive riding in my opinion though
Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Newb
Squid

I have no idea what to tell you..

I am no where near doing any aggressive riding, that's why I am not overly concerned about it.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
SuperBike

yup jaime is the man to talk to about upgrading it. mine is stock, i track my bike, and i weigh 230 right now. its ok but far from great. next year im gonna talk to him about building me a proper rear shock
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
I think Ohlins makes one out of Bubinga or Cocobolo wood for about $1,400 or so. Ducati uses them.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
I think Ohlins makes one out of Bubinga or Cocobolo wood for about $1,400 or so. Ducati uses them.
nekkid, I would actually prefer an olo shock make from koa wood. Dat would be da kine.

And Beast, I weigh 155 and do spirited rides in the canyons, and the rear shock works fine for me. If I hit a bump in a corner, the rear settles right away. Just get the preload set properly. I would like to eventually get some work done on my forks though. If I'm pushing it I worry more about the front than the rear.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Newb
Squid

Thanks again guys for the advice.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:29 AM
SuperBike

well at 230 my rear isnt terrible but it isnt great. last year when i was nearly 300 i was killing the front suspension. this year ive got her setup with some racetech springs and she handles really well. do the front first. im not sure what you weigh but the front is the biggy. i was going through tight s bends and the front end was bouncing me back pretty hard. the suspension was compressing pretty far. the stock rear is good for like a 160 lb rider i think. its not that great for a sport touring bike thats meant to carry luggage or a passanger. if anything you can have jaime re work your stock shock for you or go the f4i route. or find a cheap f4i ohlins and have him make that fit. theres a place called petes superbike that was selling f4i ohlins shocks for like 650 cdn not too long ago. might be worth looking into.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Rear Spring