SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   04 aprilia tuono r Factory (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/04-aprilia-tuono-r-factory-33740/)

NZSpokes 02-05-2016 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 393323)
So , when you get a chance please tell us your thoughts on the new bike.

From memory the 07 I had was a bit more brutal than the VTR, and the sound was to die for.

Let us know how you get on!

How does the APRC Tuono compare to the VTR? Its a bike thats getting cheap here now.

kenmoore 02-05-2016 12:03 PM

The V4 is a totally different animal.

much more refined from a vibration point, much easier to go faster on, power shifter is mental, and the sound is insane when on the gas. The noise is hard to describe, however you look at it it is a great bike .

Be warned it is a threat to your license, and the seat is uncomfortable after about 100 miles.

Fuel range not much chop either, suspension takes some setting up, ergonomics are good.

A nice bike with a lot of electronics that take some getting used to.

Overall I like the V4 but it is not an involving ownership experience like the VTR.

Once you do a pipe and a map on the ECU, there is not much left to do except tailor it to your own needs, ride it, service it clean it . I can't see how anyone would want any more power than it has. The factory has done all the rest for you.

Just_Nick 02-05-2016 12:40 PM

Bone stock they dyno around 145 whp, unless you get the 1100 version. That one is between 155 and 160 whp. And there's no need to tinker with the carbs, just add the modifications you want, then bring it in to a good tuner. Boom, more power without having to dick with carb jets and needle heights.

Oh, and the sound of the V4 is beautiful.

kenmoore 02-05-2016 10:57 PM

It's not how much power they have it's how they deliver it. When you wind it on it just revs and keeps going. Without wheelie control this would be a dangerous animal.

When riding with mates if I get the jump off n them there is no way they are going to catch me. The speed is deceptive, brakes are awesome and the power shifter is a distinct advantage. The front end is a trial to set up properly, but once right it's great!

My hair has gone a bit greyer since riding this ! I reckon it's because it's scared the shit out of me a few times by how deceiving it is. Wish I was 20 years younger.

All in all though for real world riding I still dig the VTR. Jack of all trades and master of none.

The Tuono RSV4R APRAC is just effing fast, and begs to be thrashed.

Honestly, I find it boring to ride at legal speeds.

Just_Nick 02-05-2016 11:20 PM

I think I can sum up every post by kenmoore on this site: in the end, I would still choose the vtr.

NZSpokes 02-05-2016 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Just_Nick (Post 393334)
I think I can sum up every post by kenmoore on this site: in the end, I would still choose the vtr.

VTR is an easy bike to love. For me it lacks one thing, comfort.

Thats a medical issue and im more comfortable on a more upright bike. Fightering mine has been a thought. But I like the fairing. So today I fitted highway pegs. :eek: No really I did.

I do like the look of the Tuonos. :D

kenmoore 02-06-2016 12:18 AM

Nick,

You are right, as much as I try to like another bike I do like my VTR. I have owned 43 bikes now and at 59 My reflexes aren't what they used to be. Younger folk would have a completely different view I'm sure. The one thing I love about the VTR is that I can thrash the bike to within an inch of it's life and still come away in front. With the power of the Tuono that is not possible for me. I like to be in control, not the other way around. A few friends(Younger than me ) have ridden the Tuono and love it. Can I catch them on the VTR, NO if there are a lot of straights involved, but in the twisties I can stay with them only to be left behind as soon as the road opens up.

N.Z

Highway pegs?

What about some Dan rear Sets? That might make the bike more comfortable for you! Did the job for me!

Bear,

sorry for the thread Jack, I am curious as to how you feel about your new ride!

Have you had a chance to get out on her yet?

I remember well that 60 degree boom that they put out, and the sound on the over run is to die for.

Let us know how you get on.

NZSpokes 02-06-2016 12:31 AM

A lifetime of sports that in the long run are not good for the body. My legs hurt like hell on a long ride. My bandit has highway pegs and I can ride that all day, makes the straight bits easier. So my highway/oggy knobs will do the same. Have tried Harris rearsets and they are just to high. I have lowered the stock peg mounts by rotating them down and use Buell drop pegs.

Bearshawk 02-06-2016 06:53 AM

iim hoping to get out today even for just a little ride, i haven't told the missus yet that there aren't passenger pegs installed :rolleyes::roll eyes: she asked to go for a ride last night... whoops.. i will report back, maybe even with a go pro video

Just_Nick 02-06-2016 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 393336)
Nick,

You are right, as much as I try to like another bike I do like my VTR. I have owned 43 bikes now and at 59 My reflexes aren't what they used to be. Younger folk would have a completely different view I'm sure. The one thing I love about the VTR is that I can thrash the bike to within an inch of it's life and still come away in front. With the power of the Tuono that is not possible for me. I like to be in control, not the other way around. A few friends(Younger than me ) have ridden the Tuono and love it. Can I catch them on the VTR, NO if there are a lot of straights involved, but in the twisties I can stay with them only to be left behind as soon as the road opens up.

N.Z

Highway pegs?

What about some Dan rear Sets? That might make the bike more comfortable for you! Did the job for me!

Bear,

sorry for the thread Jack, I am curious as to how you feel about your new ride!

Have you had a chance to get out on her yet?

I remember well that 60 degree boom that they put out, and the sound on the over run is to die for.

Let us know how you get on.

That's why a guy I rode with, a professional racer and motorcycle instructor, in California had a Ninja 250. In the twisties, no one could catch him. By the time we'd catch up to him at the next rest point, he'd already be sitting down with helmet and jacket off.

NZSpokes 02-07-2016 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 393330)
The V4 is a totally different animal.

much more refined from a vibration point, much easier to go faster on, power shifter is mental, and the sound is insane when on the gas. The noise is hard to describe, however you look at it it is a great bike .

Be warned it is a threat to your license, and the seat is uncomfortable after about 100 miles.

Fuel range not much chop either, suspension takes some setting up, ergonomics are good.

A nice bike with a lot of electronics that take some getting used to.

Overall I like the V4 but it is not an involving ownership experience like the VTR.

Once you do a pipe and a map on the ECU, there is not much left to do except tailor it to your own needs, ride it, service it clean it . I can't see how anyone would want any more power than it has. The factory has done all the rest for you.

Is the stock can not much good? Just a reflash on the ecu?

Im trying hard not to buy one.

Bearshawk 02-07-2016 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 393370)
Is the stock can not much good? Just a reflash on the ecu?

Im trying hard not to buy one.

won't get any help from me.. this is a serious machine... the most linear power delivery i have ever ridden... awesome rush up top and the sound/suspension made me :D insane roll on power and stupid usable torque... going to do some more suspension dialing but just after a small ride i am hooked.

NZSpokes 02-07-2016 11:26 AM

Only problem I can see with the APRC is the small tank range.

kenmoore 02-07-2016 11:26 AM

Bearshawk,

Let the games begin!

Your bike is going to be hard to improve by the looks of it.

Glad you like it.

N.Z,

Nothing wrong with the standard can , just the usual weight issue and a bit quiet!

NZSpokes 02-14-2016 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 393387)
Bearshawk,

Let the games begin!

Your bike is going to be hard to improve by the looks of it.

Glad you like it.

N.Z,

Nothing wrong with the standard can , just the usual weight issue and a bit quiet!

How far do you get on a tank? what year is it?

NZSpokes 02-14-2016 12:47 AM

This looks nice.

Aprilia Tuono R Factory 2009 | Trade Me

thedeatons 02-14-2016 07:06 AM

Get rid of that gold frame and that would look pretty good!

James

118811 02-14-2016 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by thedeatons (Post 393524)
Get rid of that gold frame and that would look pretty good!

James

frame isn't even gold.....that's "copper". :confused:

Beautiful bike otherwise.

Bearshawk 02-15-2016 09:19 AM

Honestly an all black Factory with the copper frame IMO looks pretty damn nice, with the blue oz wheels.... i am pretty stoked about the paint on mine though... dont have to buy all new gear :p

SuperSprint 02-16-2016 06:07 PM

@Bearshawk - either way, that's a great looking bike!

Just_Nick 02-16-2016 09:41 PM

Black paint is a pain in the ass, so that's definitely a plus.

Bearshawk 02-18-2016 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSprint (Post 393595)
@Bearshawk - either way, that's a great looking bike!

thank you! i have the suspension a bit closer to where i want it. the PO had the controls crazy high as well. roatated those down last night after a small ride... switched the clutch oil jet to make finding neutral easier... im going to take off the vista cruise tonight... takes up way to much precious bar space and makes the lever feel odd (crg shorties)

anyone have tips on keeping carbon looking fresh?

thedeatons 02-18-2016 05:43 PM

For years i used Formula 2001 on my carbon. I applied it heavy, and let it air dry, then i buffed it with a cotton towel. It never faded or yellowed using this method.

James