Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

04 aprilia tuono r Factory

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
04 aprilia tuono r Factory

Guys,

i am contemplating a switch to the aprilia.... the lady says only 1 in the stables for now and i have ALWAYS wanted a tuono. The 04 factory is local and has a bunch of goodies on it. including full akra system, heated grips, crg controls, custom windshield wave rotors, sliders... list goes on and on. 1 owner 5k miles, dealer maintained.

anyone ever ridden a tuono factory?

i cant imagine with full ohlins and oz wheels and 130 ish hp it isnt a blast to ride...
Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
That would be one of the only bikes I have not experience, as such the following is just my own opinion,
I have friends with Tuono, they definitely love the bad boy, got better components and potentially better handling as well, but the change may not be as extreme from the VTR, I would go for something much more radical if I had to choose one bike only and leave the VTR behind. My two cents ;-)
Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i have an aprilia rxv550 and mxv450 and love them. unfortunately no experience on the tuono
Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM
SuperBike

as for only one bike in the stable, well, that isn't good. i have seven and yes my wife gets cranky but she gets reminded that it's my money that paid for the bikes and our family's home, and she eventually gets over it. keep in mind that it is easier to beg forgiveness than beg permission

Old 01-25-2016, 02:41 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Had an 07 Tuono, but not factory with akras and a few other mods, nice bike!

Also 2013 Tuono RSV with Akra and a few other touches!

Both nice bikes , however still enjoy riding the VTR more!

Name:  4AB7A16C-E932-4543-885C-E5148DD554DD_zpsyifp118g.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  212.0 KB

If I could only have one bike and it wasn't my much loved and modded VTR

Name:  DEC207BA-C061-48C9-8106-392CD0097A4B_zps6nwsvcje.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  387.5 KB

It would definitely be an Ape of some sort, more than likely an 07 RSVR Factory, the last of the V Twins!
Old 01-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Ride it, see which you prefer. You might find it to be the bike of the dreams or you may hate it. This is especially true for highway riding, where you're fighting the wind.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 PM
SuperBike

the 07 RSVR is a faired 1000cc VTwin.

The last in a long line before they went to the V4!

I have ridden one and live to regret not buying it.

Who knows, maybe one day although I better hurry up as time is slipping away.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Hi Bearshawk. OK, I'm a bit of a serial bike buyer, always have been. I really dig twins, in fact I like all bikes. As too Superhawks and Aprilia's. I have owned maybe 6 Superhawks now, 3 Titanium grey one's and 3 red. As far as I'm concerned the Titanium color is my favorite. Great all-round bike. Aprilia's I have owned a 1999 RSV, 1996 RS250, 2002 Tuono R & a 2007 plain Jane Tuono. The 2002 Tuono "R' was one of my most favorite bikes. Put a little over 30,000 on her without a single problem. They have a really good forum AF1.

Think of the Tuono R (in your case Factory) as a Superhawk on steroids with all the best bits you could ever buy, but never afford. Tuono's are ridiculously cheap right now. If you have found a low mileage Factory for that price I would say grab bit. They are very reliable bike's. Super strong motor's. No weak CCT's. I loved my 02, honestly wish I never sold it. Go take it for a ride. Best all round bike out there, comfortable, fast, and a little bit of a hooligan when you want it to be. Don't be afraid of it's noisy motor (top end especially) They all do that. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Superstock

2002 Tuono R

This was my old Tuono, Ohlin's, Lot's carbon fiber, etc.
Attached Thumbnails 04 aprilia tuono r Factory-tuono-5-17-2015-001.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 11:21 PM
SuperBike

Very nice ride!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Superstock

thanks for the replies guys,

lots of good info, its going to be almost 60 here (kansas) friday and nice saturday so i might try and get over to test ride the tuono...

i feel like the last thing i want to do is sell the hawk but i also dont like the idea of having it sit idle (or a new bike for that matter) this is a really well sorted ape...

• Full Akrapovic Exhaust System
• Carbon Fiber Fenders
• Carbon Fiber Side Panels and Air Dam
• Custom Rear Sets
• Custom Gas Filler Cap
• Rizomo Reservoirs
• DC Output
• Heated Grips
• Mirror Extensions
• CRG Adjustable Controls
• Vista Cruise
• Custom Windshield & Air Buffer
• Ohlins Front and Rear Suspension
• Ohlins Steering Dampner
• O2 Wheels
• Front Wave Rotor
• Axle Sliders
• Rear Seat Cowl
• Custom Front Blinkers
• Frame Sliders
• Air Horn
• One Owner Bike
• Dealer Maintained

that is the mod list form the seller and it all sounds so good to me. i know my hawk needs valves done and new fork seals... at that time i would want to do gold valves, not having a shop down here is cramping my style and i would more than likely hire it out so i could spend $500-800 on necessary repairs on the hawk or sell her and make up 4 months of payments not doing the maintenance.

i think i just need to ride it and see how it feels, there is something about the hawk that just keeps me coming back and i'm afraid i wont like the switch...
Old 01-30-2016, 03:58 PM
SuperBike

Every time I buy another bike I always keep the VTR.

Guess what, after 4 years and numerous othe bikes through the man cave, some mine some not, just bikes I have worked on and then ridden,the VTR is the best all round ride.

True my VTR is heavily modded with a lot of time and $ put into it and I am emotionally attached to it it would seem, but it is just one of those rare bikes that returns effort with reward and evolves as you do.

Other bikes have not been like this , sure they were technologically more advanced, had more power,supposedly better brakes and suspension,however none have been as engaging or as much fun as the VTR.

My advice is buy the Tuono and keep the VTR if you can afford to. If you gel with the Tuono you can always sell the VTR. If you don't like the Tuono you can always sell it and modify the VTR.

I have taken cues from the other bikes that I have had and tried to replicate them in the VTR.

Things like more power by way of JE Pistons, a bit of light head work, lightened flywheel, removed anti rattle gears, ignition advancer, electric water pump, DJ jet kit, manual tensioners ,H Power Stacks, free flowing cans,, Burnie Morgan modded air filter, adjusted TPS ( Gotta get around to doing the coil on plug mod) and a few other fiddley things all help to make the VTR a better bike. You just have to have the time and inclination to do it.

I won't venture to tell you what else I have done to the bike in regards to brakes , bearings, suspension etc but my list is long!

All done due to the experiences of members on this forum.

Good luck with your decision whatever you decide, oh and one last thing!

The Tuono was great on shortish rides and after that the seat is crap. I have never complained about the VTR seat again after the 07 Tuono.

Last edited by kenmoore; 01-30-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Superstock

Well here she is!

well guys i bit the bullet and went to kansas city and test drove the ape today... annnnnnnddddddd now its in my driveway.... i do still have the hawk and i am gong to give it long and hard thought as to wether i will sell it.

the ape is beautiful though... the PO loved it and put ALOT of money in it
i only took it on a 10 miles test ride but it was awesome! I'm excited to get the suspension set up for me and see how it feels

Name:  IMG_1012_zpsooxc5dwn.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  179.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1010_zps7ui18khl.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  293.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1009_zpsb2bghv2h.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  301.0 KB
Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it. By the way, not sure if you replaced the cabin air filter in your truck, but it definitely helps cut down with the dust on the dashboard.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:58 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it. By the way, not sure if you replaced the cabin air filter in your truck, but it definitely helps cut down with the dust on the dashboard.
i just live on a dirt road... and work construction so its constantly dusty...
Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 PM
SuperBike

that is a gorgeous bike. congrats and enjoy
Old 01-30-2016, 07:25 PM
SuperBike

and oh, keep the vtr. i bought my 1098 and kept my vtr. years later i sure am happy i kept it
Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Very nice find, congrats.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 PM
SuperBike

Nice ride,

Dare I say it, there is a forum for Aprillia run by AF1.

They are good people that I have done a lot of business with over the years.

There is not much they don't sell or know about Apes.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:42 PM
SuperBike

Sorry,

forgot to ask, has the previous owner done the flapper mod to the airbox? If not do it , it works!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Sorry,

forgot to ask, has the previous owner done the flapper mod to the airbox? If not do it , it works!

i have already joined the forum... i can only hope it is as good as this group here, the hawk forum has been a large part of the enjoyment i have gotten from owning the hawk these past years... i REALLY am going to try and keep both, i will see how far i can push the lady...

the flapper mod is one thing i don't know was done or not. i will be getting all service records next tuesday with the large box of spare parts.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 AM
SuperBike

the af1 aprilia forum is excellent, as are the people at af1.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:57 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Nice bike! Very cool.

I lust after one of the new 1100 Factorys myself.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Superstock

Great find, cool bike, but it's not a 04! no big deal. Yours is a 2nd gen Tuono.

They are great bikes, super strong and very reliable motors. Hope your good at wheelies! HAHA

1, thing to watch out for is when changing sparks plugs. Make sure to buy a sparkplug cap removal tool. The sparkplug caps and leads are very fragile. Just like the choke cables on our superhawks. Great bike, eats back tires!!! Enjoy, ride safe. Your going to love it. As to keeping the superhawk? if you can afford it I would say keep it too. Something about superhawks, I always seem to miss then the most after I sell one.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:51 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Great find, cool bike, but it's not a 04! no big deal. Yours is a 2nd gen Tuono.

They are great bikes, super strong and very reliable motors. Hope your good at wheelies! HAHA

1, thing to watch out for is when changing sparks plugs. Make sure to buy a sparkplug cap removal tool. The sparkplug caps and leads are very fragile. Just like the choke cables on our superhawks. Great bike, eats back tires!!! Enjoy, ride safe. Your going to love it. As to keeping the superhawk? if you can afford it I would say keep it too. Something about superhawks, I always seem to miss then the most after I sell one.

i was confused too yesterday until i talked to the salesman... the paint scheme isn't of the 04 factory but the PO being the OCMD person he was painted it to the color scheme he liked title and frame are 04
Old 01-31-2016, 11:33 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Bearshawk
i was confused too yesterday until i talked to the salesman... the paint scheme isn't of the 04 factory but the PO being the OCMD person he was painted it to the color scheme he liked title and frame are 04
Hmmmmm. OK? Well, it's not like any 2004 Tuono I have ever seen. Go visit the AF1 forum. I'm a member over there also. They are a really good bunch of guys. 2nd gen Tuono's did not make it over to the USA until 2006. I'm not going to say it. But check your frame number and title very closely?

Make sure the frame has not been altered in anyway. That the riveted on plate looks correct. Are you sure it says 2004 on the title?

Here's the link to the 2nd Tuono's over at AF1 2006-2010 Tuono 1000R & Factory (2006-2009) Photo Gallery - Page 20 good luck, maybe it's just a typo.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

That is most certainly not a 1st generation Tuono, just look at the frame and swingarm. It has the frame from either a second generation Tuono or a first generation RSV. Meanwhile, the rear tail, the plastic piece that stretches from the tank to the tail, and possibly the tank are all from a 2005 RSV 1000 with a custom scheme.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
That is most certainly not a 1st generation Tuono, just look at the frame and swingarm. It has the frame from either a second generation Tuono or a first generation RSV. Meanwhile, the rear tail, the plastic piece that stretches from the tank to the tail, and possibly the tank are all from a 2005 RSV 1000 with a custom scheme.

you guys are 100% correct...the title is for an 04 rsv1000 BUT the new paperwork the dealer gave me is for a 04 tuono factory... the odd thing is the owner of the dealership said he sold the PO the bike new... soo how would he not know that is was an RSV?

I'm getting angry.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Superstock

what makes me angry is NOW that i look on cycle trader

Aprilia Tuono Factory Motorcycles - CycleTrader.com

the differences are clear as day...but when i was shopping around all i saw was a pretty motorcycle, what makes me worried is that why would you take a GOOD 04 rsv factory with 4,600 miles on it and convert it into a tuono look?

the title is clear but i am still confused and i was sold a tuono factory
Old 02-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Superstock

OK, that makes perfect sense now. Yes, so what you have (and this is not a bad thing) is a 2004 RSV'R. Basically the same thing as a 2006 Tuono Factory would have been. Lots of RSV's get converted over to Tuono's. There are lots of threads over on the AF1 board on how to do it. So that's why you have the RSV tail section etc. It's still a great bike to own. Just check for crash damage all over, as long as she rides straight and true. Its all good. I was more concerned that you have brought a ringer (stolen bike). But a 2004 RVSR makes it sound OK. I would still ride the hell out of that bike. Ride safe

Quick Reply: 04 aprilia tuono r Factory