Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

00 superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Squid

Tyler996 is on a distinguished road
00 superhawk

Hey everyone I just bought my super hawk about a month ago I love it so far! Had a couple issues I'm hoping to get some input on. First of all when I hit my rear brake it doesn't turn on the brake light only the front brake turns it on. Just wondering if this is normal.
Also when the bike is warmed up and I come to a stop it has a slight stutter and almost wants to stop for just a split second then goes back to about 1500 rpm idle without me giving it any gas. It is almost completely stock except for the two brothers I just put on but it did this with the stock pipes on probably 4 or 5 times so I don't think that is the issue. Thanks for any help. I'm sure I'll be spending alot of time on here.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by Tyler996
Hey everyone I just bought my super hawk about a month ago I love it so far! Had a couple issues I'm hoping to get some input on. First of all when I hit my rear brake it doesn't turn on the brake light only the front brake turns it on. Just wondering if this is normal.
not normal.! check that the mechanics of the switch at the rear brake pedal are working correctly. 'could be grunged up or need adjustment.

Also when the bike is warmed up and I come to a stop it has a slight stutter and almost wants to stop for just a split second then goes back to about 1500 rpm idle without me giving it any gas. It is almost completely stock except for the two brothers I just put on but it did this with the stock pipes on probably 4 or 5 times so I don't think that is the issue. Thanks for any help. I'm sure I'll be spending alot of time on here.
start by syncing the carbs and go from there. if stars are lined up right, that'll fix the rough idle. i take it that it pulls through the revs ok and runs smoothly otherwise.

--fred
Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Squid

Tyler996 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Fred I'll look into the rear brake and post what I find. Also I should be a little more clear it idles fine and runs great but every once in a while just as I'm coming to a stop it has this little stutter.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by Tyler996
Thanks Fred I'll look into the rear brake and post what I find. Also I should be a little more clear it idles fine and runs great but every once in a while just as I'm coming to a stop it has this little stutter.
the big carbs make this bike somewhat twitchy. 'clunk-die' is a well known phrase among SH riders. get a carb syncing kit if you don't already have one. if you're a v-twin only guy, then i'd recommend the Twin Max. otherwise, any decent carb sync apparatus will do the job.

to make carb-syncing on the VTR 'not a hassle' look up some carb syncing threads. you can rig the vacuum hoses out with T joints accessible so that you can just attach the sync-tool hoses without having to dig down under the tank.

--fred
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 AM
RIPI
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
The rear brake switch apparatus is ugly and unnecessary, take the whole thing off and just remember to pull the fonnt brake when you need brake lights. Even the guy who recently put an inspection sticker on my bike agreed with me on this!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
not legal and not safe. (geez...here I am sounding like a safety monger...I'll be starting to talk about helmets and ATTGATT soon!) :-o

There is a small switch on the pedal. it just needs to be adjusted.