SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Looking for a new Helmet...suggestions?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/looking-new-helmet-suggestions-17822/)

VTRFISH 04-09-2009 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 208086)
a 7 yr old helmet is technically "over the hill"

Hmmmmmmm? I guess my 10 year old Levis are antiques then? I'll sell the lot to ya for.....let's say........5 TRILLION BILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!

COLE 04-09-2009 09:10 PM

once u go shoei you'll never go back, every other helmet fits weird and too heavy i had an AC-11, AC-12 is way to heavy, i sale helmets for a living ha icon's suck

oahu hawk 04-09-2009 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by COLE (Post 209865)
once u go shoei you'll never go back, every other helmet fits weird and too heavy i had an AC-11, AC-12 is way to heavy, i sale helmets for a living ha icon's suck

:confused:

altosuperhawk 04-10-2009 07:19 AM

Icon is manufactured by HJC.

fighter hawk 04-11-2009 12:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just want to put in my 2 cents, you only have one head and it needs to have as much protection as possible, I put my bike down at 85 mph 2 days ago and landed on my head the helmet is not pretty but i walked away from the crash with a concussion, a broken toe and road rash on every joint of the lower half of my body, (ankles, knees, and hips) put as much money into your helmet as you can, its not worth saving a hundred bucks on a cheap helmet pick a helmet that has been around a while and has a proven high speed impact rating. my Shoei saved my life dont make the mistake of buying a helmet that may not do the same.

Attachment 29585

Attachment 29586

please do what you can to protect the most important part of what make you, you!!!

skokievtr 04-11-2009 10:13 AM

+1 but a $150 thermoplastic shell that meets DOT can actually absorb more G force than a $450 GRP/Kevlar/Carbon Snell lid which really only resists spike penetration better. Also, you should get yourself some decent pants and boots, if not also a new jacket or suit. Several boots are designed to protect your toes, ankles, shins, etc http://www.tcxboots.com/usa/, and any well designed MC pant is way better than jeans.

I wear full gear EVERY time I ride no matter what.

lazn 04-11-2009 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by fighter hawk (Post 210081)
I just want to put in my 2 cents, you only have one head and it needs to have as much protection as possible, I put my bike down at 85 mph 2 days ago and landed on my head the helmet is not pretty but i walked away from the crash with a concussion, a broken toe and road rash on every joint of the lower half of my body, (ankles, knees, and hips) put as much money into your helmet as you can, its not worth saving a hundred bucks on a cheap helmet pick a helmet that has been around a while and has a proven high speed impact rating. my Shoei saved my life dont make the mistake of buying a helmet that may not do the same.

please do what you can to protect the most important part of what make you, you!!!

Most tests have shown cheaper helmets to protect better than more expensive ones.. It really is ALL about comfort, and wearing it EVERY time.. because the helmet you are wearing will protect you better than the one you don't because of not being comfortable.

j shizzy wizzy 04-11-2009 01:51 PM

Thank God your OK!!!! where did this happen? what happened? hows your bike?? Oh, and sorry I didn't swing by last month! I totally forgot!

RK1 04-11-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by fighter hawk (Post 210081)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...90408-2115.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...90408-2113.jpg

Glad you came out as well as you did.

Here's my thinking about helmets;

ANY helmet is orders of magnitude better than no helmet.

The world's cheapest full face is better than the world's finest open face.

Once you've decided on a full face, price has almost nothing to do with the level of protection you are buying.

After reading everything from Harry Hurt and Dexter Ford's "Blowing The Lid Off" in Motorcyclist, I believe the DOT and Euro standard helmets are better than the Snell helmets.

The helmet which fared best in the Motorcyclist test cost a hundred bucks at the time.

What you get in a $450-$750 helmet is comfort, features, convenience and style (and help pay for the advertising).

If you've got your heart set on a $600 helmet and have the bucks, go for it.

Just know that you can get the same level of protection for $100-$150 dollars.

oahu hawk 04-11-2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 210260)
Glad you came out as well as you did.

Here's my thinking about helmets;

ANY helmet is orders of magnitude better than no helmet.

The world's cheapest full face is better than the world's finest open face.

Once you've decided on a full face, price has almost nothing to do with the level of protection you are buying.

After reading everything from Harry Hurt and Dexter Ford's "Blowing The Lid Off" in Motorcyclist, I believe the DOT and Euro standard helmets are better than the Snell helmets.

The helmet which fared best in the Motorcyclist test cost a hundred bucks at the time.

What you get in a $450-$750 helmet is comfort, features, convenience and style (and help pay for the advertising).

If you've got your heart set on a $600 helmet and have the bucks, go for it.

Just know that you can get the same level of protection for $100-$150 dollars.

+1...

it's going to be interesting to see how the 2010 Snell standards match up with Euro ones...

bundleofgrundle 04-13-2009 08:24 AM

hey quick question in regards to helmets. I'm getting myself an HJC FS-15 and wanted to know if the nose guard and chin skirt can be removed?

oahu hawk 04-13-2009 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle (Post 210544)
hey quick question in regards to helmets. I'm getting myself an HJC FS-15 and wanted to know if the nose guard and chin skirt can be removed?

yup, just pops right out...

bundleofgrundle 04-13-2009 08:59 AM

kickass. Newenough.com has them at a great price and that was the only thing holding me back. thanks oahu hawk!

oahu hawk 04-13-2009 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle (Post 210548)
kickass. Newenough.com has them at a great price and that was the only thing holding me back. thanks oahu hawk!

got mine from New Enough...they've got great prices and great customer service too...

bundleofgrundle 04-13-2009 10:00 AM

i'm hoping i won't have to deal with their customer service but it's good to know. Now i get to play the waiting game until thursday or friday...should be like christmas

doomcookie 06-18-2009 09:53 AM

I have a Vr-2 Gun Slinger I got it off of ebay brand new still in its box. Look great and it work great for me. Did open it up to make sure it never been drop check out good. I was actually looking for a Shoei but i came upon this and its one hell of a deal. My brother have a shoei though, I have to say shoei is the best helmet i ever wore even for just 50 mile. But i'm happy with my vr-2 its actually pretty comfortable for me.

MOONSTER 06-21-2009 05:45 PM

My 2cents, I've worn several different brands over the yrs. including Arai (can't afford them anymore). Currently wearing a HJC & it's been pretty good, did replace cheek pads once. Tried on the new model Scorpion (?) the one with built in sun shades & has air pump to custom fit. Felt pretty good & quality for $258 & change.