Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Help my fingers stay attached.... (Warm Glove advice please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Help my fingers stay attached.... (Warm Glove advice please)

I need to know from first hand experience, which gloves you guys have or have owned that keep your fingertips from freezing off. I rode to work this morning (36*) partially because im nuts, but mostly because i dont want to stop riding for the 3 months of cold we get down here.

I have the Icon TiMax short gloves, and everything is fine... except my fingertips. I took my gloves off when i got to work today expecting to have nubs.

I Have looked at motorcyclesuperstore, and some gloves "look" like they would be warm, but id like to know from anyone that has bought some that has noticed a considerable difference in maintaing warmth in your gloves. I ordered a set of joe rocket 3.0 gloves for my daughter (for summer riding), and when they just came in, i wasnt impressed with them. thats why im wating the opinion of someone that actually has a pair of warm ones.

If not that, ill have to start looking for some kinda bar guards like you see on dirtbikes.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:57 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
heated handlebar grips in combination with handlebar muffs

Then even summer gloves can be worn in the middle of winter
Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Superstock

Wicked! Where did you get the muffs if you dont mind me asking? I have the heated grips on my xmas list already.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got a pair of Joe Rocket insulated waterproof gloves similar to these which I got on clearance a couple of years back. With enough body insulation to make sure I'm not losing core body heat as well, they're good down to 20* or so. I commuted from east of Andrews AFB in MD to the Pentagon a couple of mornings below 30* and they held up pretty well. Hands were pretty chilly by the time I got there, but not too bad. I did Vail AZ to Ft Huachuca yesterday (about 52 miles). It was 37* when I left the house and dipped below freezing in a couple of spots (dips in the hills on the way up to 5000' where the fort is) and my hands were fine. Since the DC commute back in 05-06 the only thing I've changed is upgrading to a Fieldsheer Cyclone insulated riding suit. Since you're not complaining about anything but your hands getting cold, a decent set of insulated gloves would be a huge upgrade over the TiMax short-cuffs. (Had a set of the 1st gen ones, they were awesome...)
Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Superstock

Yeah, the TiMax's are great in the summer (except for the levers / knuckle clearance issue) but ill check out the ones you have. I have a Icon speedfreak jacket with liner, and that coupled with a thermal and hoodie keep me decently warm. I bought a joe rocket ballistic jacket from rollin20s, so as soon as that gets here, ill be trying that one out.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:49 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
It's difficult to get warmth without bulk. Ski glove liners can help provided they don't make your gloves too tight. A heated vest, believe it or not, also helps. The makers say that blood flow to the extremities is reduced when body core temperature drops. The vest helps maintain body core temperature and the flow of blood to your fingertips isn't impeded.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Heated grips, Acerbis Uniko hand guards and warm gloves ( Alpine Star Storm ) , that's my combo.
I know it only gets into the 40's here in SoCal but with the windchill it's still cold.

Kai Ju
Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
my heated grips work to a point but if you have small hands... meaning you can't have a lot of bulk try some thinsulate glove inserts or simply a good pair of rubber gloves, like dishwashing gloves ( used also as inserts ).

tim
Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
I have Olympia winter gloves with thinsulate, but when it's really cold, I have some glove liners that I wear under them too. It wicks away any moisture and dry fingers stay warmer.

By the way...a friend of mine at a toy run suggested wool glove liners from the army/navy store. Might be a good/cheap/local alternative for you.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Superstock

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I really appreciate it! I hate walking into the garage and straight past my bike, so im going to try to get the right gear to ride almost year round.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
i just bought ATV grip covers for $10 close out price. I think they're between $20-50 for ATV's. Mine are camo, but i just want to see what they do. The ones in the pic above are nice but were on the north side of a buck, but I'm sure are better. I plan to switch between bikes depending on the weather, so I took the hand guards off the xr650l so the mits would fit. I'll see how they work when the ice clears a bit.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Back Marker

epleeds is on a distinguished road
these are a bit pricey, but hands down when you combine them with the jacket liner, it is the best money you could spend for cold weather riding. And the best part of it, they have a lifetime warranty.

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/G3.html
Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I really appreciate it! I hate walking into the garage and straight past my bike, so im going to try to get the right gear to ride almost year round.
I'm doing the same thing Mike. After my '07 $49k pickup went away to the TX Lemon Law I decided that the bikes would be my primary transportation. So far so good - being self employed helps because you can "chose your fight".

I've always got a truck if I have to go - used to be my daily driver - raised two Labs in that truck. After being in the field for the last ten years it's a little rough. I wouldn't be afraid to get into it and drive to Dallas and back tomorrow. Like I said - it's a little rough but real reliable. The bikes are just fun. I have to go places - seems like I'm working all the time anyway so why not?

I have a pair of Rocket winter gloves that I bought on sale for like $17-19 per pair. Bought me a set and one for the kid.

They have been battle tested to 42f and they're good - even on my hands.

The comments on "core body temp" are right on. If you're shakin' like a leaf your hands are just the first sign that the worse is yet to come.

You can ride a Superhawk or Interceptor in the cold and be perfectly comfortable. Additionally, you don't have to feel like you're wearing a snow machine suit while you're at it. The new garments from UnderArmor and others bring a new meaning to "longies".
Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Superstock

Awesome info! I really appreciate it! I went riding last night and it was pretty decent weather, but i forgot my neck warmer thingy and my throat felt like a block of ice when we got home. im waiting till xmas to make sure i dont buy anything that could be under the tree already, but if not, ill be ordering some of the stuff mentioned above.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Back Marker

Hawknut
http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/gerbing_s Here you go.There is no substitution for moving electrons.Comfort without the bulk.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
those muffs are the ticket...cheap too check some snowmobile sites they can be had for $10 i use them on my sled for long rides and dont wear any gloves (heated grips). on the bike with my short icon "summer" golves my hands stay toasty and warm.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Squid

miner1098 is on a distinguished road
Best idea is heated grips.
#2 idea is to get Leather snowmobile gloves.
http://www.coldwavesnowwear.com/page...her_glove.html
That's what I use up until about -2 or -3 C. Below that, its just too dangerous to ride when taking into consideration the deer, wild horses, Moose, Bears, coyotes etc that prefer to cross the highway in a strange variation of "play chicken" on the highway to work for me.
Wayne
Old 12-22-2009, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You make a good point, miner! At some point the bike is so cold it's like driving a brick. On the 42F ride the Superhawks left me and then there was a stretch of road where the asphalt was washed out and it was a bit downhill. What a cluster-**** on a stock Interceptor! Front wants to slide, ***-end wants to come around - I'm riding a two-wheeled-Bradley through a ******* creek bed - help!

Well, no damage done but you have to respect cold weather and be able to call the game when it's not worth playing. Next time the kid stays home with the Interceptor and I go riding at 42F on the Superhawk!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
I love muff!(s)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I have a pair similar to: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=585768

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=167543

They are warm, and will definitely serve more than one purpose if it stays in the 30's/

Some snowmobile gloves:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=488427

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=488425

Search the net, you will be able to find something you like.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:29 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that we have a customer that rides down until 5 Fahrenheit. he is a priest, and has ridden more miles than most groups of guys have ridden. He runs a heated top. Don't just run to gerbings, there are a number of other brands available and a few look more up to date(not that it matters when you are cold).