Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Helmet life?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Squid

jon1475 is on a distinguished road
Hey, look at it this way, who doesn't want a nice new helmet every so often? 5 years is a pretty long time...
I want the HJC RPHA-10 in the "Zappy" paint scheme. But my current helmet is only a year old, damn it!
Tweety how can I speed up the material degrading in my current helmet so I can justify buying a new RPHA-10? Maybe if I leave it out in the sun....
Old 08-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Ditch Magnet
Squid

mput is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bearshawk
WOW glad you are still around to tell us about it! thats one nice looking rack...

the helmet sure did its job get well soon and hopefully the bike is still fixable!
Thanks man, I was on my way home from ordering GP tickets 07-31-12 so I'm healed about as good as I will be. As a side note I was at Indy two weeks later half dead and full of dope but there and it was great. I wasn't on the hawk or it would have ended different. I was on my cruiser so he tasted 800lbs of iron broke his back. My posse found his corpse and took his head before my first surgery. The bike was easy to rebuild his chest was dead center of the head light so it didn't even bend the forks. Crash bars and the wife's sissy bar protected the rest. I have no recall of the collision it was that sudden he launched out of a ditch about two feet in front of me at 60mph. Be safe out there any thing can happen.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
I get all that about material breakdown but 5-7 years? Has that been scientifically by someone who doesn't sell helmets?
Not that I can point out, no... But then again, I'd say it's fairly obvious, really, that somewhere between 5 and 10 years is about the life of the foam...

I mean, what happens to fuel/vacuum lines on the bike in 10 years? Dried and cracked... Other rubbers... The same... Various plastics... The same... Basically all the synthetic materials have a limited lifespan... And I would love to see an analysis, just like you...

I do prefer to err on the side of caution really... At 10 years, I KNOW it's gone, I have compared that old helmets, and it feels entirely different, hard and crackly... And both helmets where top end Shoei's, with the 10 year old one a nice paint scheme, but dropped a couple times to much, so it sat on a shelf for looks... So they should be reasonably comparable, with the differences being age and technical progression...

So, considering it's my brain, I'll keep swapping helmets at around the 5-7 year mark... You're welcome to your own conclusions, I'm not trying to debunk them at all... I'm just saying that the difference at 10 years sort of surprised and scared me a little, actually...
Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73

That is a way better idea but how do you determine that? You go to tech inspection with a store reciept? How do they know if its for that helmet?
I'll try to make this easy. Since you're a racer also, you should understand this quite easily. Basically, the basis of the ruling is ten years, or Homologation in progress, and previous Homologation. However, if someone purchased a helmet in 2009, then, technically the helmet would no longer be good, since it would be an '05 Homologation. Meaning after 2015, only six years later, helmet would no longer be good. This is where proof of purchase comes in. If you can prove beyond a doubt, the helmet is purchased in '09, then you're good to go. If not, then buy a new one.

As a racer, you should be aware of every rule that applies, so, be sure you're ready when the time will come to prove the purchase.

I sell lots of helmets, and believe it or not, I would see my high end helmets plummet in the last year of Homologation before this new ruling was applied. People would go for the cheapest Homologated helmets since they new they would have to purchase a new one within six years...
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Not that I can point out, no... But then again, I'd say it's fairly obvious, really, that somewhere between 5 and 10 years is about the life of the foam...
And many times less. If the helmet is warn very often, in two or three years,
I've seen interior helmets destroyed. I've often sent Arai helmets to be redone in the interior with complete new lining and foams.

So, no argument from me, since, I don't remember ever having warn a helmet for more then 8-10 years.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Squid

ahernandez74 is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I wouldn't keep a helmet and use it past 4-5 years. I just recently upgraded my helmet so I'm a bit impartial. You guys know that honestly, the material starts to get nasty around 3 years if you sweat and don't clean it.

Plus, i feel like it's good to keep a somewhat fresh lid on your head. My next helmet is definitely going to be a blank slate/canvas for me to customize. I spent too much money on my current one, but the next one... I'll gamble with
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/helmet-life-25583/
Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
I get all that about material breakdown but 5-7 years? Has that been scientifically by someone who doesn't sell helmets?
The thing is the helmet companies also need to limit themselves from liability. If one helmet in 10,000 goes bad in five years they have to say replace every five so if you had that one helmet and wreck with it at 5 and a half years and it was broken down enough that you ended up with brain damage you and your family cant sue them because they told you that the helmet was ****
Old 11-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
I had a 20 year old Kiwi K-20 that would shed flakes of foam all over my trunk. I used it on one test ride then opted for using the helmet the dealer provided. Got a new Scorp EXO as soon as I got my new bike.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Squid

mdouglas71 is on a distinguished road
Nice, I would think that you wanna keep it for about 5 years before changing it. Just to be safe. I wouldn't keep a helmet for over 10 years... just think baout all the times you accidentally drop it and the wear that goes on for it.