Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Got my blutek helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:43 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Got my blutek helmet

It came much sooner than I expected! Helmet is nice and fits great. Tried out the bluetooth and its very loud and clear. Should be loud enough so long as I'm not getting on the bike hard.

One snafu though is that I paid for an additional dark tinted shield and when I opened the box, the tinted shield was installed but the stock clear one was nowhere to be found. Contacted Reza via a PM to handle the situation and see what's up.

Aside from that, I couldn't be happier! I'm off tomorrow so first thing after cutting the grass is I'm going to go for a long ride and see how the helmet performs. I'll give my riding impressions then.
Helmet feels pretty light and is comfortable for sure!

Here are some pics since I'm a pic *****. This is the fire dancer helmet with dark shield....

Name:  frontshot.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  rearangleshot.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  sideshot.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  87.1 KB

Nice attention to detail with the metal mesh to prevent bugs from getting lodged in there....

Name:  frontlower.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  62.8 KB

Same with the top vents...

Name:  topvents.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  74.7 KB

Interior...

Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  99.1 KB

Speaker area is just above and past my thumb. It's blurred out but that's it....

Name:  interiorear.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  interiorfront.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  55.7 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
interior.jpg (99.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 08-14-2008, 08:15 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet looking helmet; however i always wondered why someone would want to drowned out the sweet sound of a motorcycle engine with music or cell phone.

IMHO i would stop riding if i had to have a radio in my helmet.

That being said the design is pretty trick looking and the craftsmanship and quality looks to be better than most.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
SuperSport

Honestly I don't plan to use it much in terms of talking on the phone or listening to music. That's the first thing people assume ..... I've found out when mentioing this helmet LOL. Why is that? I too prefer the music of cylinders. combustion, and power pulses just like everyone else!

I got this helmet because my previous helmet was in need of replaceing from a bad couple of drops and was no longer allowing the shield to work properly and was getting quite loud. I think the shape got distorted or out of whack from the last drop. I also was getting kind of tired of hacing to pull off the road in a long ride just to check the phone every so often to see if I missed a call from the wife or if something important came up. So rather than buy just a regular helmet plus a universal bluetooth device, I opted for a integrated helmet and this is a brand new company. I was willing to give them a shot after a few friends bought some to try them out. Couldn't be happier.

We do a good bit of group rides every week/weekend and the bike to bike intercom with these helmets will be a nice addition. Especially if we position someone up front with the helmet and someone mid pack with the helmet. That way we have a spotter that can communicate within the pack a little better than hand or leg signals to some that are too far back to see them.

Another nice thing I was thinking about because I got cut off my some idiot passing people recklessly on my way to work the other morning. I can now easily call in the cops on some idiot next time they try to take me out.

Just a few points to give you an idea of why I got this helmet. I didn't buy it to listen to music or talk on the phone all the time. Just got it because it seemed like a good move for my needs.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
if the quality is as good as it looks, then the price really isnt too unreasonable.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
SuperSport

They were running a special introductory price for SBN members. So I picked it up plus the tinted shield and shipping for $230. They still might offer the deal to SBN members but this price was to be before they start hitting the market and the regular $329 price.

For comparison a new regular helmet would of ran me in the $200 range plus buy a universal $150 bluetooth bike unit. So for even the market $329 price you get a fully integrated helmet with bluetooth technology. Cheaper and better than trying to piece it together seperately the other way IMO.

Can't wait to ride with it tomorrow all day. I'll report on its performance. My buddies say theirs are relatively quiet and they haven't experienced any buffeting or wind issues. I tried it on with my jacket and sitting on the bike and it gives me more rotational movement than my previous Vega helmet did. The Vega nearly constricted my neck and would hit on my jacket not allowing me to get a good view while turning my head. This one seems it will help that situation out much better. It's a good bit lighter than my other helmet too.

Last edited by haknslash; 08-14-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:07 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Well give us a ride report, i am in the market for a new lid and leaning toward the Scorpion
Old 08-15-2008, 10:49 AM
SuperSport

I just got back from a spirited ride. Had no problems riding and talking on the phone checking to see if people could actually hear my voice over the road noise and the loud *** Devil highmounts on my bike. No issues so long as I'm not getting on it very hard. Normal riding you can hear just fine and my exhaust is loud as hell.

I did not experience any buffeting at all. Even while behind a semi truck. I took the bike to triple digits and the helmet handled it just fine. No shaking, buffeting, or whistling.

Opened the vents up and it seems to have decent airflow. About the same as my Vega did which had more vents to open than this one. Vents stayed open and did not try to slide closed or move around any.

Movement on the bike was good too. I turned my head around and twisted my body around to see if the helmets shape hindered any movement and it didn't. My Vega would not allow me to turn freely and look behind as this one seems to do much better! It always bothered me with my Vega helmet whenever I wanted to change lanes on the highway. It was always hard to turn around and check blind spots. This helmets shape is more profiled than the bulkier shaped Vega so it helps a ton for me personally as movement is a important aspect for me since I do alot of lane changing and dealing with crowded traffic on my commutes to work and back.

So my overall impressions with this helmet are great. I couldn't be happier and I'll repeat is was not "hard" or caused me to not pay attention to my riding or surroundings. The helmet is very easy to use and seems to perform great. Now only if I can get my stock clear shield I'll be a full happy camper.

That's my short and sweet review of this helmet. Hope it helps someone if they are looking into this helmet as a replacemet lid.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
This raises a bunch of questions.
- Where do you keep your phone?
- How do you answer? Hit a button or something?
- Do you dial your phone while driving or pull over? I'm guessing the later
- If the phone is mounted somewhere got any pics?

I've considered mounting my phone just to see if the wife is calling to make sure im alive, but not sure where i would put it. Looks like a great helmet! If I didn't just buy one I would have considered it.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by newb007
This raises a bunch of questions.
- Where do you keep your phone?
- How do you answer? Hit a button or something?
- Do you dial your phone while driving or pull over? I'm guessing the later
- If the phone is mounted somewhere got any pics?

I've considered mounting my phone just to see if the wife is calling to make sure im alive, but not sure where i would put it. Looks like a great helmet! If I didn't just buy one I would have considered it.
I ride with a tank bag a good bit and it has a clear map pocket on top. I place my phone in that so I can see who calls.

You can answer the phone either by voice or by pressing the "Blutek" button on the side of the helmet. The button also twists for volume control. You can push it to get into different modes as well (intercom, voice, music, phones, etc). The helmet beeps when you have an incoming call.

As for placing calls, I'm not sure if I can access my call list thru my headset. I know if I press the button on the headset, the phone will turn on as if I'm pressing buttons on it. So far just testing it out today, I just went to my phone list while parked then initiated the call while riding. I'd rather dial the phone or look thru the phone list while pulled over. Much safer doing it that way.

I have been thinking about buying one of those wrist pouches people use when jogging. It would allow me to have the phone visible but not have to ride with the tank bag.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 AM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Thats pretty cool how it turns like a dial for accessing other items and it is small on the helmet but big enough for using with gloves. When your using it people probably think your making gestures at them.

I guess the tank bag does offer some shock/rain protection for the phone. I thought about using one of those clip on mounts for my phone.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:27 AM
SuperSport

LOL, I never thought about what it might look like to motorists around me

The button also has a multicolor/function LED behind it so it blinks blue when turned on. I'm sure people wonder "WTF is that" at night LOL