Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1 or 2 piece leathers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
1 or 2 piece leathers.

I am at the point now to where I can think about track days and I have an alpinestar leather jacket. Im not sure if a custom one piece to fit me "like a glove" is all that big of a deal, like say a one piece of Z leathers since I have an average frame, or if a standard 2 pc from alpinestars is okay. Let me know what you your experiances are and if there are any limitations to a 2 pc. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
One piece is going to be safer and more comfortable on the bike.

Two piece will be more convenient off the bike and less comfortable on the bike because of added bulk around waist.

Which even one you decide, pick a well known brand. An unknown suit can be crap weather it's one or two pieces. And the thing about leathers are you wont know how good they are until you need them at 150mph on your ***. It's safety equipment and can literally save your life. Don't skimp out just to save a few bucks. Also look into getting a back protector, and maybe a chest protector.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Superstock

Thanks for your feed back, I was looking at the thickness of the leather and how many stitches they have on the seams. I have seen some single stitch items but I am staying away from those and looking at the double and triple stitch items with back protector option. I am 5'10'' and on the skinny side so thats why I am thinking maybe the custom route. Who do you use and why did you choose them?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I wear a 2-piece just because it's easier to get my old body into it. It's a joe rocket and I'm very pleased with it. As Jay said, when you are sliding across the track on your rear end, that's when you know you need a good set. As you are shopping, pay attention to the leather thickness.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Back Marker

PappySmears is on a distinguished road
One piece for the track, two piece for the road, No question.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by PappySmears
One piece for the track, two piece for the road, No question.
I couldn't agree more!! My only comment is 2mm thickness is a bare minimum, aren't most racing suits 4mm??
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM
SuperSport

Thickness is only one factor. Different dies cause different amount of deterioration to the leather. Amount of stitching (single v double v triple), type of stitching (blind v straight v ??), material (nylon v kevlar v ??), placement of panels (you wouldnt want seems on your back, butt, outside of arms).

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
I couldn't agree more!! My only comment is 2mm thickness is a bare minimum, aren't most racing suits 4mm??
I would definitely steer away from something with 2mm leather, even for the street.

Last edited by jay956; 01-23-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jay956
Thickness is only one factor. Different dies cause different amount of deterioration to the leather. Amount of stitching (single v double v triple), type of stitching (blind v straight v ??), material (nylon v kevlar v ??), placement of panels (you wouldnt want seems on your back, butt, outside of arms).

I would definitely steer away from something with 2mm leather, even for the street.
true, but it's an easy basic and available bit of information when looking at suits. I use it to eliminate the really cheap suits.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
for track 1 piece. If you can imagine having your shirt flying up on you? imagine doing that with a 2 piece leather while skidding down the pavement at 70 mph as the skidding keeps tugging your top part up. the attachment points are not that secure IMO and rarely a full 360 degree closure system.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Superstock

Alright so it seems to me that I was thinking about skimping out on my own safty here... Dumb. So what I have gathered thus far is: 4mm thinkness, 2x-3x stitching, look for good seam placments, and added protection options?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Superstock

As to where I live I am about an hour to 2 hours away from the nearest motorcycle dealer and I was wondering who you guys would perfer as far as a company to go with. Not to bring up soar memories but it you happened to go down on the track let me know how they held up, becuase obviously if your writing this to me then they did thier job. Comfort would be a second thing I would like to know. Thanks for everyones help on this!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
these guys used to be 'new enough leathers' and have good prices typically and informed sales people if you call.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Occasionally can get some reasonable prices. Also ebay for occassionally some great prices on very little used items. Sizing will be important so figuring out what sizes in a couple different manufacturers is a good idea and have both US and europen sizing figured out so you can interpret either. Be sure the obvious protectors are in whatever you get (elbows, shoulders, knees, and thighs should be very standard). Don't forget the obvious like good boots and gloves - figure your total budget first.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Superstock

Thanks, I have a pair of Sidi Fusion boots which I am confident in, have a XB12 helmet and gloves are my next item. Looking into the Alpinestars SP-1.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
SuperSport

If you want to read more about the technical side of suits go search on a race or track forum, like wera or nesba. Lots of info on there.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Superstock

I didnt even think about those types of forums... Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Sportbiketrackgear.com is also and excellent site for reviewing and purchasing what you are looking for.

RidersDiscount.com is another, don't waste your time on the site, just call him, he usually will beat his online price.

I have both 1 and 2 piece suits.

Also if you plan to ride in hot hot weather consider a vented suit
Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I don't think anyone makes 2mm or 4mm suits, not that I have seen. If there really are 4mm suits I bet you can barely move.

Most commercial suits are 1.3-1.5mm thick. One reason I choose my Kobe USA suit was that it is 1.7mm thick

In comparison all Alpinestar suits I looked at, from $799-$2499 were either 1.3mm or 1.4mm thick. The Vanson Leather suits I just looked at were also 1.4mm thick

When I was shopping around Kobe USA had a special for the suit, racing gloves, and a back protector for $499. If you ask they might still do that special deal. If you call ask for Scott he's super friendly

I have the Kobe Xpro suit for the track, and joe rocket textile jacket/pants for the street. I use the same boots and gloves for both.

I wouldn't suggest two piece for the track, but I don't think you would need a full custom suit. You should be able to find something that fits
Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I picked up this suit way below competitor prices. This is my first Alpinestars product and the RC1 shown here for street riding and occasional track day is a good option. Just depends on what your long term usage is for all track days, racing, or mostly sport riding. Having had a one piece for years and sport riding with it is a pain when you stop for lunch breaks and so forth.

Alpinestars Rc-1 Two Piece Leather Suit - RidersDiscount.com

Good luck with your hunt, sounds like you have done your research and have a good handle on what you want.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
I got a one-piece since I planned on using it for track and street. The Teknic Chicane is on closeout with STG for $349 for both one and two piece. They are good guys.

TEKNIC Chicane One Piece Suit Red from SportbikeTrackGear.com
Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
I don't think anyone makes 2mm or 4mm suits, not that I have seen. If there really are 4mm suits I bet you can barely move.

Most commercial suits are 1.3-1.5mm thick. One reason I choose my Kobe USA suit was that it is 1.7mm thick

In comparison all Alpinestar suits I looked at, from $799-$2499 were either 1.3mm or 1.4mm thick. The Vanson Leather suits I just looked at were also 1.4mm thick

When I was shopping around Kobe USA had a special for the suit, racing gloves, and a back protector for $499. If you ask they might still do that special deal. If you call ask for Scott he's super friendly

I have the Kobe Xpro suit for the track, and joe rocket textile jacket/pants for the street. I use the same boots and gloves for both.

I wouldn't suggest two piece for the track, but I don't think you would need a full custom suit. You should be able to find something that fits
LOL, good catch! Yep ment to say 1.2 and 1.4 not 2 and 4
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Superstock

Awesome. All info will be used in the next month or two. I have decided that I will buy the pants for my jacket for street triding and a 1pc for the track. Thanks all for the advise on this issue. -Mike-
Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
And watch your local lists. I found an original Black/Silver HRC full leather one piece locally for little more than a hundred bucks. It's a little tall for me but the quality of the suit is impressive. As the old timers retire this stuff comes up.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Superstock

Thanks for the tip, Ill have to look on ebay and craigs.