RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Tar and Chip roads

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Squid

synpse is on a distinguished road
Tar and Chip roads

I am SO SICK of the tar and chip gravel crap. They're doing it to almost every non-major road in the county here in Pennsylvania. Now.. the "major" roads aren't like.. highways. They're like, main street. But if you turn off from 6 or 219, they tarred and chipped the heck out of the secondary main roads.

The roads were just paved 2 months ago.. and now they put this crap ontop of them.

I don't want more gravel on the road. I'm sick of sliding around.. I'm sick of the *tink tink tink* off my visor, and everything being covered in gravel dust.

Then.. after they cover the roads, they wait weeks to paint some new lines. So all you have to go by are the little reflectors in the middle that may or may not have survived the chipping.

Does anyone have any theories on why this is being done? Does it extend the surface life of the road? Does it make non-local drivers slow down? (40mph in a 55 zone, UGHHH!!!!)
Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Saves the County money?
Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Yup, cheap and dangerous.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:50 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
money
Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Syn, where in PA are you?
The tar and chip thing is running rampant here in south central. I'm right with you. It's the absolute worst .
Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Syn, where in PA are you?
The tar and chip thing is running rampant here in south central. I'm right with you. It's the absolute worst .
Oh yeah, PA DOT sucks, the roads suck, bumps, pot holes, tar, gravel, debris, etc. They give you all this bullshit about safety and they create unsafe roads. And these stupid ******** that are too inconsiderate to keep their f*ckin grass off the roads. Fits right in there with all the dick-head drivers that think that everyone should drive like they do. I don't even wanna get started on this bullshit.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Yeah, they do this in wisconsin as well. Tehy really don't bother to let you know too far in advance that they are doing this. It catches some riders out as they make a turn onto a road that has just been oiled, tared, or chipped and the first indication is the bike washing out, then the sign. It is unsafe for the first few weeks, in my opinion. The surface remains loose and hasn't set up enough to resist "peeling" up under tire loads. It also eats tires until after the plows do work on it through a winter. Definitely lame.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
And these stupid ******** that are too inconsiderate to keep their f*ckin grass off the roads.
+1
And I thought I was the only one to beep and make hand gestures to mowers blowing it out on the road.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
TN doesn't even put up signs. And they have a habit of mucking out rural ditches and using a bucket to scrape the detritus up...multiple butt pucker moments from that crap this summer...
Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 AM
MotoGP

well, I wish they'd put some chips on the tar. The asses pour tar in all the cracks and dumbasses like me going to fast to miss them scare the B-jesus out of themselves when they go sliding on em. I hit one yesterday and the rear slid out a good 2 feet so fast I never had a chance to even think about lightening up on the throttle, which is most often a good thing. Where the hell is the AMA when you need em to lobby for ya.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
MotoGP

Did you ever consider using your congressional influence to do something significant for all motorcyclists?

I.E., petition states/draft legislation to change road repair policies which blatantly discriminate against anyone on two wheels. Tar and chip leaves debris on roads, tar sealing lines and paints cause slippery road surfaces, signal lights aren't activated by motorcycles are some of the man-made conditions that seriously compromise safe riding. If these were problems for other vehicles in terms of safety, they would certainly be eliminated. Why doesn't the AMA feel compelled to act on critical needs that would undoubtedly save countless lives,injuries,and damages suffered by your membership and all motorcyclists? to AMA: