RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Phone call about a deceitful sales job

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Garage Monkey
Squid

zenrider is on a distinguished road
Phone call about a deceitful sales job

Sure I know, I know... "buyer beware". Alas, I did end up buying a bike from someone who was trying to cover up some mechanical issues. No one to blame but myself, yet in my defense, from his own mouth came the phrase, "There is nothing wrong with it mechanically." Thus, I bought the Superhawk.

I probably would have bought it anyway even if I had know about the several repairs that it needed. After all, I like working on my bikes and I expect older machines to need work. So its fine if she needs a little work. Its the lying that bothers me.

So I called him a week after I bought it, just to find out what he would say:

-------

ME: Hi Sam*, I just wanted to ask you some questions about the superhawk I bought from you last week.

HIM: Sure! How is it going?

ME: Fine. I really like the bike and its going to be great with a little work. Its grounded right now cause the battery is dead again.

HIM: Huh. Thats strange. Its a brand new battery. Its probably only three or four weeks old.

ME: Yeah, apparently the charging system isn't working. I am waiting for a regulator that I had to order. I guess thats why you had to get a new battery so recently.

HIM (apprehensively): I don't know...

ME: Well, listen Sam, the real reason that I am calling is to see if you can fill me in on some of the history of the bike. Do you know if the forks have been rebuilt or are the fork internals stock?

HIM: As far as I know, everything is stock and original.

ME: Oh, okay. I've read about some good upgrades that are available, but didn't want to order any parts if the upgrades have already been done. I'm going to have to take the forks apart anyway since the seals are leaking so profusely. Did you know the fork seals are leaking?

HIM: Ah, no. I didn't notice that.

ME: Oh. Did you ever notice that the handlebars are a few degrees crooked when you ride straight? I thought maybe you had tried to do some work on the forks.

HIM: No... I, um, never noticed that.

ME: How about the front brakes? Did you ever notice the very pronounced vibration when you use the front brakes?

HIM: No.

ME: Did you ever actually ride the bike Sam?

HIM (getting irritated): What are trying to say?

ME: I'm not saying anything Sam, I am just asking if you ever rode the motorcycle, because those things are hard to miss when you ride the bike. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt... cause either you didn't actually ride the bike, or else you are an idiot. Those are the only two reasons that I can see for not knowing about those issues. OR if you did know about them, then it makes you a sleazy liar. So which one is it Sam.

HIM: You're an *******.

CLICK.

* names have been changed to protect the guilty.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I love it!! I mean, wow...Hate that happened to ya, that is another reason I like to buy new, but I hate to take the loss on a new bike/Anything...
I agree, at least if he had been honest with you, you would know what to do first, ie work...and not have to guess at stuff...

Is this seller on our board? Guess it don't matter if he sold, then he is not a Superhawk owner anymore...

Again, hate that happened, live and learn.....
Old 10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
not siding with Sam here, but did you actually see or ride the bike before buying it? cocked handlebars, leaking fork seals, charging system gone - those are pretty easy things to check out before hand. I don't know, you might have had to buy it sight unseen from ebay or craiglist, then he's just dishonest I suppose. that is hard to swallow. Now, if you saw it ahead of time then what did you think of those items before buying it?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
not siding with Sam here, but did you actually see or ride the bike before buying it? cocked handlebars, leaking fork seals, charging system gone - those are pretty easy things to check out before hand. I don't know, you might have had to buy it sight unseen from ebay or craiglist, then he's just dishonest I suppose. that is hard to swallow. Now, if you saw it ahead of time then what did you think of those items before buying it?
+1 ??
Old 10-17-2007, 03:13 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Nice...people need to be told when they're ********. It's too bad they can't also get the asskicking they deserve too. I could NEVER do that to somebody. And it's easy for people to say about how you shouldn't buy things sight unseen but you'd like to think people are honest, especially when you specifically ask them. It's easy to get caught up in a what seems like a good deal. Hopefully it's not all tweaked out of shape...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Garage Monkey
Squid

zenrider is on a distinguished road
Sadly, no chance to ride it ahead of time. When I went to pick it up, the new battery had plenty of charge and the fork tubes were wiped clean. But you are right to some degree; I should have assumed there were problems and investigated more carefully. I am guilty of being too trusting. Live and learn. I'll be more cynical next time.

Its like Peter Egan always says, "I sure wish I could buy a motorcycle from myself so that I'd know it had been taken care of correctly".
Old 10-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny how there is no balance between being too trusting and being cynical.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
In Zen's defense, slightly tweaked forks are hard to notice if you don't test ride a bike. My wife's EX500 had a slight bend in the left fork tube that threw the alignment off only slightly, enough that she didn't even notice when riding, but I noticed after riding it, and wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

To a point, yes, buyer beware, but any decent seller should have disclosed a bit more information.

Congrats on the purchase Zen
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Squid

Tucknroll is on a distinguished road
I think it's amazing this sleezeball actually stayed on the phone long enough for you to relay your message to him!

Cudos!