RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

New Photo Noise Bylaw Proposed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Calamari
Squid

Sleeper is on a distinguished road
New Photo Noise Bylaw Proposed.

Some ****** has cobbled up a 'noise radar' system similar to photo radar and is trying to sell his idea to Edmonton city council. Just like when photo radar was introduced, most cities are afraid to be the first to adopt it. Once one does, you just know the rest of them will fall all over themselves to generate a new revenue stream. Any bets as to which fascist council is the first to jump on this?

On a side note, I fired up the hawk to warm her up for an oil change and my son came out to find out why his windows were rattling . When he saw the bike he commented that the neighbors are gonna be REAL happy about this...

-D
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I think it's an awesome idea. Finally folks with ungodly loud pipes(Cars, trucks, motorcycles, whatever) will get tickets...and stop giving the rest of us a bad name.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
soon one of us will see how far away we can be and still trip it .
Old 01-20-2009, 06:23 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk
I think it's an awesome idea. Finally folks with ungodly loud pipes(Cars, trucks, motorcycles, whatever) will get tickets...and stop giving the rest of us a bad name.
You think only those with with "ungodly loud pipes"? Before long any bike louder than puppy farts will be cited and ordered to put OEM hush puppies back on their bike.

I think any "noise radar" should get the speed camera treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw2C_XR64Y
Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
You think only those with with "ungodly loud pipes"? Before long any bike louder than puppy farts will be cited and ordered to put OEM hush puppies back on their bike.

I think any "noise radar" should get the speed camera treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw2C_XR64Y
Agreed. I think that soon we will see all kinds of creative ways for the "authorities" to extract even more money out of our pockets. This is a monumentally bad idea, but I bet it will happen anyway.
I'm not an advocate for property destruction, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if all red light and speed cameras got this treatment. They have been ruled illegal time and time again, but, because they produce giant piles of cash for money grubbing municipalities and the control freaks who run them, they won't go away.

Last edited by killer5280; 01-20-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I love these vids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dq_uCsTiKE
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
SuperBike

Awesome!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Of course one issue is that sound travels slower, is less directional, and is reflected off of other objects.. So the civic w the fart pipe next to you might set off the camera, and your SH get the ticket.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:44 PM
RK1
MotoGP

A few U.K. speed cameras- R.I.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-iUpmynIBE
Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM
SuperBike

I thought this one was amusing. And no cameras were harmed in the making of this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T43LtGNFLPw
Old 01-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
dammit

i just shortened my pipes too
Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
RPV-Hawk: VTR Mods: Yosh titanium low mount, Factory Jet kit, K&N air filter

Looks like you'll be getting one too. We know those pipes aren't quiet.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Superstock

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Looks like you'll be getting one too. We know those pipes aren't quiet.
Actually, they are. I had D&D's slipons...they were horrible. When I was doing track days regularly, I used a D&D Full Race set (headers, pipes)...those were ungodly.
Since going to the Yosh's... They are very quiet by comparison. Barely louder than stock. (I repack them every 8000 miles). I'm also a considerate rider. I don't run high RPM or large throttle openings around ANY neighborhood, (ANYWHERE near houses). Even on the freeway I keep my RPM down. Why? Because I know just how annoying it can be to here the sound of loud exhaust 24/7, and the SH has enough torque to accelerate in any gear.

I'm 100% all for this because I live IN a Canyon. Any day of the week, just about any time of day, I can hear loud motorcycle/car exhaust. It's a common occurance. Because the Cayon opens up to a populated area, the sound reflects up the canyon(in addition to the twisties IN the canyon), and I can hear bikes/cars sometimes 3+ miles away, on the main streets as they accelerate from stoplight to stoplight. Several of my neighbors ride, since moving to this house/location 3 years ago, I've taken several of them to task on their loud exhaust/riding habits. I have YET to have a single one not listen. There is a 20/21 year old who lives down the street from me, he also rides a superhawk (my wife calls him my stalker, since he followed me home after seeing another SH in the neighborhood). Turns out, he was the person who bought my D&D Race system off ebay a few years ago. When I confronted him on the noise and the hostile attidude it causes, he was initally "meh, whatever, if it's too loud, you're too old". I talked him into letting me ride the bike around the neighborhood so he could hear how loud it was, and how far away the bike could be, and still be "loud".. He was amazed that I was 2.5 miles away, but he could still clearly hear the bike, and that it was still "loud". He changed the pipes within a week. (I think it helps that his dad was there telling him the exact same thing).

There's no reason for overly loud exhaust unless you've got a racebike that never see's the street. If you have them, there's absolutely no reason why you can't take steps to minimize the noise produced by your bike when there are others around that might be offended/bothered by the noise. If you're not doing that, you're just another "damn loud motorcyclist" to the general public, and that my friends is NOT a good thing, for ANY of us.

Getting back on topic, of the "noise cameras" the simple solution is to use a higher gear (lower rpm) or "coast" past the noise station. Unless they put em in different locations every day, folks will soon figure out where they are and take a different route or use the above methods of not being cited.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
I agree with RK1 on this one. I like my bike's sound.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Superstock

BTW, if the noise camera's don't catch on, there's always this to worry about
http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2008/...e-exhausts.htm
http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2007/...e-exhausts.htm

and of course
http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2008/...le-exhaust.htm
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A well written law, implemented the right way and applied to the right people should do what we all want...

Unfortunately in todays society laws are written by idealists, implemented by fascists and applied to me...

So until the enlightened society of tomorrow arrives, speed cameras I encounter not placed at a school or otherwise appropriorate place for a short, limited slow down of all traffic... will encounter "technical difficulties"... any similar device for noise will be treated in a similar manner should I encounter one...
Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
RK1
MotoGP

http://www.cent-21.com/laws/exhaust-us.htm Exhaust Noise and the Law California USA

From the CHP. Long story short- unless you have open pipes without a muffler, you aren't going to be cited.

For places where noise laws are actually enforced- I would think "ungodly noise" would be something a policeman would be able to hear without creating a Brave New World Surveillance Society to monitor us.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM
SuperBike

Yeah, but you can make a whole pile more money if you just let a machine make those decisions instead of a human being that might perhaps have a conscience.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Superstock

Talking

Originally Posted by killer5280
Yeah, but you can make a whole pile more money if you just let a machine make those decisions instead of a human being that might perhaps have a conscience.
So true!!! Works with Speed Cameras and "red light" Cameras!!!!
I'm also wondering about how you would "fight" such a ticket. In Arizona, if the photo of the driver is not you, the ticket is void. How would they determine if the "rider" is you if you are ATGATT? Just show up with a different helmet and a different Jacket (or be a squid with no gear)...
Old 01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Squid

Dano is on a distinguished road
I think this type of device would carry the same type of mis-use as the red light cameras. Many cities have been caught doing this, I could see the same thing happening with a noise camera. When budgets come up short, "hey lets just turn the yellow lights down by 1.3 seconds and lower the noise threshold on the cameras by another 15db."
Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
In Colorado, specifically Fort Collins, some years ago they had a Jimmy with a radar camera. Turns out, if the summons wasn't handed to you by a LEO, then it was void as well.

RPV, as for the 2.5 miles, is that by the Odo on the bike? Was it in the canyon? Having lived in a Canyon myself, I am aware, that the distance you travel in/on your vehicle, is not always the same as the distance a crow would fly.

I defend/guarantee your right to have an opinion.

I will say this, my Hawk has a single Jardine, and I live in a neighborhood of older people, and not once have I had a complaint about my exhaust. I do not coast, I do not choose a higher gear, I do not scream into the house.

Some people are more sensitive to these things than others. They are more worried about their rights and how they are offended, than by how they might be offending and withholding rights from others. These are probably the same people who do 60 in a 65 zone in the Passing Lane. They are not worried about how they are affecting others, but got forbid anyone else affect them.

Sorry, it's still America. I have my rights, just like they have theirs.

The LEOs definitely have better things to do, and machines are not the answer. This is a revenue maker, and nothing more.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Calamari
Squid

Sleeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"The LEOs definitely have better things to do, and machines are not the answer. This is a revenue maker, and nothing more."

Ultimately, this is what pisses me off too. I have lived in the same area for 21 years. When photo radar came in the 'spin dorks' at City Hall tried to explain to us wee brained masses how this was for 'public safety'. In my area we have an interesting intersection where 4 parallel roads feed into an intersection controlled by 1 set of traffic lights and 6 stop signs. It's hard to explain but it's a real mess. This intersection from hell services access to 2 schools and a public pool. There are kids everywhere all times of the day but I NEVER see the mobile photo radar unit near this area.

Two blocks away the road becomes a serious downhill one-way and leads to an overpass and exit ramp. This one-way with no traffic or pedestrian risks is where the photo unit parks because there is a speed change at the bottom of the hill. They snag all the poor buggers that don't ride their brakes all the way down. These bastards don't care if there are daily multiple near misses just 2 blocks away as long as they can write more tickets. Some little kid is going to get hit sooner or later.

If they put these units in conspicuous spots and manned by cops, (not the lowest PRIVATE bid contract clones that they have here) they might actually do some good. I wonder how many SERIOUS crimes cops used to encounter by a fluke when they did traffic duty? I'll bet it was a substantial number. I haven't seen a real cop giving out traffic tickets in this city in years.

-D
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
Here in Washington our noise limits are the same as California at 95dB, but we also have a law that says if you install an exhaust system to amplify or increase the vehicles noise you have broken the law. If im correct any time you put on an after market slip on it gets louder.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.537
Old 01-22-2009, 01:11 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
All this noise is so dreadful! My mental health is affected. I need counseling. Other people need to cater to my likes. Think I'll use the government to force other people to to do things my way.

Sorry, I can't give all you people the "perfect" little world you want. Maybe you could re-focus some of that regulatory energy toward a more important issue, for example, restricting the availability of **** on the internet so grade schools kids aren't exposed to it.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 01-22-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Maybe you could re-focus some of that regulatory energy toward a more important issue, for example, restricting the availability of **** on the internet so grade schools kids aren't exposed to it.

Now how come no one has sued Al Gore for that? After all he did invent the internet.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
VTR Mods: Yosh titanium low mount

I see .. You must be one of those who likes to spend time in court testing the limits of a judge and his understand on the law used to issue a citation.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I don't like any law unless it restricts the power of the law makers and law enforcers.

Perhaps they should just get it over with and install a GPS on everyone's vehicle along with a dB meter. Then they can automate it so any time we exceed the noise or speed limit, it charges against our bank account.

Then we won't have any more traffic fatalities or injuries. That's the whole point of all these laws right?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I don't like any law unless it restricts the power of the law makers and law enforcers.

Perhaps they should just get it over with and install a GPS on everyone's vehicle along with a dB meter. Then they can automate it so any time we exceed the noise or speed limit, it charges against our bank account.

Oh, but that wouldn't be fair for the po' folk. They couldn't afford to speed and be noisy...so we have to take your speed/noise away. If you go over the speed limit or DB limit, the vehicle(car bike whatever) shuts down for 15 minutes on the first offense, 60 minutes for a second offense and 8 hours for the third offense..etcc...etc.. You have the same TIME as po folk/everyone else, so we'll take TIME away people AND money!!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
well if i can get a ticket for noise then we need to shut all trains and airports down cause i promise it aint going to happen. allright no hot rodin in neiborhoods but if you buy or build a house next to a busy highway then tuff ****. i dont give a rats **** what anyone thinks if im getting a ticket then i want to be stopped by a cop and written one.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
I have mixed feeling about the noises. My SuperBird is very loud with Two brothers cans and headers, but I keep them packed every 2000 miles. Ive drilled out those rivets at least 50 times now.

- 2 thruths and a lie -

1) more cars can hear where I am and it thus improves their situational awareness, and my safety.

2) I try not to annoy residences by pouring on the coals too much in town.

3) When on the highway, going fast enough creates an atmospheric vaccuum of low pressure behind the bike, drawing in a lot of the sound emitted from the exhaust, and grinding it up in the chain and sprockets.

Quick Reply: New Photo Noise Bylaw Proposed.