RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

new Db regulations proposed in NH

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
new Db regulations proposed in NH

hey all,
so i know there is an almost identical thread going on right now concerning noise levels. I don't want to jack the other thread...just trying to be courteous, so if the two have to be merged, so be it.

i was cruising the local news and came across this:
http://www.wmur.com/news/18539073/detail.html

i bought my rig with a pair of jardine RT-One cans on it and have no idea what kind of DB's they put out. My question is will they be below the proposed 99db law and what's the easiest way to find out...just a cheap db meter? is that something that a shop would address during inspection?

Now for the rant part...Why in the HELL would you try to impose a law like this when Laconia Bike Week is such a huge source of revenue for the state? My guess is that they're thinking if they instate the new $1000 fine, it won't deter people from coming. Anyone they bag for loud pipes will be paying 70% more in fines...governmental greed? sounds like it to me! I'm hoping that the shot callers in my state decide that this is a complete hair-brained idea and don't continue doing anything in their power to deter riders from coming to my fair home state

Last edited by bundleofgrundle; 01-22-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
After one hundred and five years of turning petrol into noise without the benefit of horsepower, citizens have become fed up with 'mercan iron riders and started complaining to the lawmakers. In the interest of job security, lawmakers made laws, et voila, les gendarme have another tool in the box with which to extract revenue.

Wearing expressions of smug superiority, the electorate return to 'American Idol' re-runs, the elected return to their re-election campaign planning, the law-enforcement staff searches catalogs for db meters to buy and the vendors at Laconia (and Daytona, and Sturgis) order the new stickers to put upon faux helmets. The issue isn't really about us, WE are reasonable, it's about social control in our culture.

On a tangent, what actually annoys the lay ear isn't really the open pipe, but the firing cadence of a 45 degree twin doing right wrist tune ups or a 600cc IL four at full high hertz wail. Our 90 degree V has perfect primary balance and perfectly paced firing order, meaning that at normal traffic velocities the S'hawk with aftermarket pipes goes mostly unnoticed. After all, how many Ducati's do you see pulled over for loud pipes?

Yes, I understand the point of your rant, and feel the same way, but my TBR pipes can't get me arrested as a miscreant, they sound so pretty.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
This is just the tip of the iceberg, and is part of a multi pronged approach to tax and penalize every conceivable human activity. Noise laws, environmental laws, gun laws, etc. are going to be coming at us hard and fast at federal, state and local levels. Get ready.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Back Marker

this nation is has finally succumb to the sissy agenda. should those of us on S Hawks here in the granite state worry about being bagged should this legislation pass?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
first they did away with t!ts flashing. then burnouts. now this.

glad i got to enjoy some of the good years of bike week back in the day.

RIP nh bike week.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Calamari
Squid

Sleeper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
first they did away with t!ts flashing. then burnouts. now this.

glad i got to enjoy some of the good years of bike week back in the day.

RIP nh bike week.
They did away with t*t flashing!!!???
I guess there's always cable....

-D
Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
swinging member
Back Marker

lrrs195 is on a distinguished road
Any one experence animal hill during the 70`s and 80`s. Talk about wanton destruction and debauchery. Ah the good old days.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
OHHH NOOO! 99db! thats probably less than stock... this is aggravating. i didnt see one problem with last years db.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Squid

joedirt5 is on a distinguished road
99 DB is quite loud. I my local offroad (dirtbike) racing org. you need to be below 96 DB. The problem with DB testing is doing it properly. 99 DB would have to be at a certian rpm and a certian angle witch would be different for every model bike. I see it as useless legislation that would be near impossible to enforce and certianly never hold up in court. Probably any stock bike would blow over 99 DB at full throttle but the test needs to be done at somthing like 50% of redline, this being the part different for every bike.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
say thank you to your local liberal.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle
i bought my rig with a pair of jardine RT-One cans on it and have no idea what kind of DB's they put out. My question is will they be below the proposed 99db law and what's the easiest way to find out...just a cheap db meter? is that something that a shop would address during inspection?
They will not pass. I have the street baffle Jardine and they don't make it now that they have burned in. They are close to the current limits. If I remember correctly the stock cans barley passed the db limits.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The stock cans are stamped 96dB... So highly doubt any aftermarket pipes going to make that limit...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Calamari
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
The stock cans are stamped 96dB... So highly doubt any aftermarket pipes going to make that limit...

Perfect! What an obvious solution.
Where where can I buy that stamp to install on my TBR cans?

-D
Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i live in the land of harleys and idiots on 1800cc metric hogs that run three miles an hour with the clutch pulled in racking the hell out of thieir straight pipes. since most of them are weekend warriors who are lawyers and other high paid pillers of the community nothing is ever done about them. but let a 19yr old rev his 600gsxr to close for comfort and bet the laws will harasse him to no end. if such a law was passed here it would only be selectivly enforced.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Hey grundle, I have the RT-1's too. I also have said dB meter. I could try to get some numbers for you tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sleeper
Perfect! What an obvious solution.
Where where can I buy that stamp to install on my TBR cans?

-D
It's not a stamp like you put on a letter. It's stamped into the metal.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
This is just one more way the government is trying to take our freedom. I believe if this law does get passed it will be a selectively enforced, especially where I live. I like loud engines, but I can see were it can get to loud, but still don't think the law should be passed. and if it ever does get passed the db levels will just keep getting lower and lower.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys, chill a little. We have to sound test our dirt bikes at certain events and be at or below 98 DBa. My Stock Exhaust CRF450R is dead on 98 DB and it is way the heck louder than my 4 year old Jardine slip-ons. The loud crappy hardley riders are going to have the worst time with this.

That is not say that the local PoPo can't pull you over an give you greive for loud pipes.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:47 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
My '05 has stock cans with over 25,000 miles. They are noticeably louder now than when new. My riding buddy who rides an 851 and 998 Duc with race cans has even said they sound pretty good now.

So what the F#@* do they want?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You couldn't even hear my wife's SV650 S with the stock can, so I installed a Yosh RS3 slip-on a week after we bought it. After 9,000 miles it's STILL quieter than my stock VTR.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
i haven't even heard about this!! bike week is going to be so quiet, no!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Hey grundle, I have the RT-1's too. I also have said dB meter. I could try to get some numbers for you tomorrow.
That would be awesome. I'de be curious to see what kind of numbers we're talking here.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...09/HB0095.html

"No person shall operate a motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than 95 decibels when measured on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2800 revolutions per minute for one and two cylinder motorcycles..."

Would also make it illegal to ride a bike without a tachometer. Lots of cruisers don't even have tachometers.

Surprise Surprise! The bill is co-sponsored by three Democrats. Hope and Change!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Wow, maybe I won't come up for bike week. I went to a single RT-1, and am thinking about making it a shorty. I'd blow by that 95 dB.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
^don't let that turn you away man, just think of how many bikes there will be up there with loud pipes. i'd personally say the cops will be lenient around the actual rally area, just don't dick around with the exhaust notes.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
If it helps to get those annoying straight-pipe Harleys off the road then I say let`s go for it. F**k those posers annoy me to no end! We are losing access to a lot of areas thanks to them.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Calamari
Squid

Originally Posted by nuhawk
It's not a stamp like you put on a letter. It's stamped into the metal.

I know.
It was a joke.
Apparently not a very good one.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Wow, maybe I won't come up for bike week. I went to a single RT-1, and am thinking about making it a shorty. I'd blow by that 95 dB.
It's pending legislation, it isn't law yet.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
If it helps to get those annoying straight-pipe Harleys off the road then I say let`s go for it. F**k those posers annoy me to no end! We are losing access to a lot of areas thanks to them.
Apologies to Martin Niemoller-- "First they came for the Harley posers- I remained silent. I was not a Harley poser.

Then they locked up...I did not speak out... etc. etc.... When they came for me and my 2 into 1 with the Blue Flame can, there was no one left to speak out."

You know what really annoys me? Fat people who chew with their mouths open. And people who say "uh" or "ya know" every 5 or 6 words. Should I demand a new law so I can call the cops on them?

I'm supposed to be liberal and tolerant about all the things that annoy me, but things I enjoy must be banned, regulated or taxed to death?

Where's the love?

Can't we all just get along?

Last edited by RK1; 02-09-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
It's pending legislation, it isn't law yet.
It won't scare me away.

I'm more upset that there will be less places with burn pits.

Quick Reply: new Db regulations proposed in NH