RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

MN WINTERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
MN WINTERS

sooo i live here in minnesota yup the land of the tundra... it was -15 degrees today with wind chill and its a balmy 0 degrees now...i can barely stand to be on this forum without wishing it was march and a decent 40 degrees so i could get back out riding! god damnit i just got a foot of snow... looks like i will be waiting awhile...
Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain. We've been pretty lucky this year however. Winter took a long time to finally arrive. Looks like it's gonna hang around for awhile now though.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
40 is nice riding weather in Minnie? Wow. In Vegas people break out their winter parkas as soon as it drops below 60.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:34 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Presenting, the solution to your winter blues :
Attached Thumbnails MN WINTERS-snow-mobile.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Mikstr, whoa, single pin crank on your avatar.

Do you own a early 1900's tractor engine?

Why an RC51 engine when you could go VTX1300?
Shoot, driveline. Oooo VFR1200F swingarm/driveline assy. This is sounding better all the time. I'm going for some eggnog.

Sorry, guess the weather is getting to me.

7 degrees here in Washington, weird, I have not seen it this cold in 15 years?

Global warming must not quite be all the way global at this point.

Waiting for it......
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTS
Mikstr, whoa, single pin crank on your avatar.

Do you own a early 1900's tractor engine?

Why an RC51 engine when you could go VTX1300?
Shoot, driveline. Oooo VFR1200F swingarm/driveline assy. This is sounding better all the time. I'm going for some eggnog.
Let`s see, the VTR is a single pin crank engine, not sure what the issue is?

In terms of the rest of your post, I suspect you had enriched eggnog prior to posting.....
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Originally Posted by mikstr
Let`s see, the VTR is a single pin crank engine, not sure what the issue is?

In terms of the rest of your post, I suspect you had enriched eggnog prior to posting.....
Not inriched but I wish it was. Not sure what I was thinking. Just did a valve adjust on my uncles bike (VTX) Was looking at his service manual. Bike shakes and has the potato potato exhaust note. Single pin crank....

I think I linked that along with your information off your profile page. You are 107 years old for crissakes. Put down the nog and look at service manual.
By golly single pin it is.

Trying to be a smart *** and just ended up an ***.
(note: minus the smart part)

There, you squished a newb that's not really a newb and should have known better.

I'm keeping the manual by the computer all winter. Maybe not, the bike is coming back apart soon. Probably not down to the crank...

Back to the egg nog.

Last edited by VTS; 12-10-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Bearshawk,

Don't think you'll be riding the SH very soon. You might get in some garage racing. My five year old is the champ. everything in the garage is very high revving, loud, and super fast. I think even one of them has about 10 gears. You should try it. I switched to hot chocolate and doing a lot better. No more nog, for a few hrs anyways.

This is a good time of year to make some changes or do some maintenance that is if your garage is'nt too cold.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I spent thirty winters in Minnesnodalot and it never snowed in Washington state. I was back forth a lot. Navy stuff and my wife's family was in Puyallup. Washington had all the other wonderful types of weather, countless days of fog followed by countless days of rain followed by one day of sun.

At least in Minnesota, it was sunny, cold and the beer never got warm. I was never a sled guy Micky but we raised some hell in the Jeeps. Even the cops knew where we lived in a jam. Bang, bang, bang on the door - it's 2AM. The Cop at the door says, "We got two squad cars stuck down at the beach can you give us a hand?" I never let them down but I always told them one thing, "Don't even bother trying to steer. I'm just going to drag you to the top of the hill no matter what." Paddle tires are a wonderful invention and they work soooo good in the snow. However, it is hard to see behind such equipment.

Now it snows in Washington and all this talk about global warming. Am I following somebody on paddles? I just can't see it.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Same sh*t in the Dakotas... but are beer coolers are cool!! http://www.emmitsburg.net/humor/pict...04/todays1.jpg
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I suspect you had enriched eggnog prior to posting.....
Ummmm, just bought some more rum tonight for that very thing.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Presenting, the solution to your winter blues :
Yeah, wrong! I can't believe that you don't know what your talking about, Jeezzzzzz.
Attached Thumbnails MN WINTERS-snow-hawk-herald-journal010.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

I was born in Mitchell so be careful how deep you pack it. Still have family all over the state.

Originally Posted by steve.g
Same sh*t in the Dakotas... but are beer coolers are cool!! www.emmitsburg.net/humor/pictures/2004/todays1.jpg
Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I do agree, at least its sunny here in MN much of the winter. winter hobbies help and so does a heated a garage - you can get a lot of work on the bikes done in 4 months.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

We are expecting our first snow tomorrow. Probably be melted in an hour or two after it falls. This week was in the single digits 5-7F. That's cold for around here. I grew up in Dayton, Oh. We did see in the minus 20's and it snows. Not like Mn or the Dakotas. Here in Washington it is usually gray and gloomy, rain, mist, drizzle, and 40-50F. Not much of a winter. I think I need one of those mood lights. Artificial sunlight lamp. We all have positive and negative attributes to where we live.

Right now I am thankful for egg nog.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bearshawk
sooo i live here in minnesota yup the land of the tundra... it was -15 degrees today with wind chill and its a balmy 0 degrees now...i can barely stand to be on this forum without wishing it was march and a decent 40 degrees so i could get back out riding! god damnit i just got a foot of snow... looks like i will be waiting awhile...
I lived in Mpls, Mn for four years. I loved the winters. Whenever it dropped below -20 I'd put on my pack boots and down parka and go for a walk at 2 am.

it was always clear and still. Things looked different and sounded different. Absolutely beautiful. Get yourself a pair of cross country skis, a pair of skates.

Check out the St. Paul winter festival ice sculptures. Winter in Minnesota is a treat. You don't know how good you have it compared to the poor bastards in NYC or Chicago. Enjoy it while you can. Before it becomes Tijuana or Mogadishu with snow.

Last edited by RK1; 12-10-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Originally Posted by RK1
I lived in Mpls, Mn for four years. I loved the winters. Whenever it dropped below -20 I'd put on my pack boots and down parka and go for a walk at 2 am.

it was always clear and still. Things looked different and sounded different. Absolutely beautiful. Get yourself a pair of cross country skis, a pair of skates.

Check out the St. Paul winter festival ice sculptures. Winter in Minnesota is a treat. You don't know how good you have it compared to the poor bastards in NYC or Chicago. Enjoy it while you can. Before it becomes Tijuana or Mogadishu with snow.
Yeah, that is one of those special life experiences

Everything is dead quiet, the only sounds are that of your breathing and the snow crunching under your feet. Air crisp, cold.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
After living in Minnesota for the last 3 years I learned a few things

Minnesota and Wisconsion is beautiful in the summer.
I learned what winter is like again
I learned that there is no better place to have a beer than the happy gnome
I learned what bike withdrawal is all about
I learned what they mean when they say endless winter, there was no summer this year.
I also learned what -25 feel like and with the wind chill it was -45 degrees

That being said I am sooooooooooooooooooooo glad we got transferred to Jacksonville. It’s 50 degrees today
Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
You guys are making me miss living in ohio... but snap back to reality and im in louisiana where there are only about 3 months of cold weather. It actually snowed here for a full hour last friday... well, it melted before it hit the ground, but it was pretty cool to see anyways.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
Yeah, wrong! I can't believe that you don't know what your talking about, Jeezzzzzz.
Been there, done that, wrote numerous articles about it. Try again!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
nowwww everyone im not saying that i dont LOVE minnesota because i damn well do i was born and raised in st.paul and i LIVE in the northern third my entire summer, nothin like highway 1 from ely to the north shore... for those of you in MN check it out suggested speed limit is 20-25 mph...too twisty????

anyway for driving in daytona, all of your points are very true however the one that i am relating to most is the withdrawl, i am a 19 year old college student who got into riding after rebuilding my 78 kaw kz650 in shop class my junior year and now im addicted...unfortunately i DONT have a heated garage very little work can get done when i cant feel my fingers, however i do love MN winters for numerous reasons and fortunately my colleges winter break just started so i plan on doing the things i love to do in the winter JUST to keep my mind off the beautiful SH sitting in the garage down at school

For those of you that CAN ride, ride extra hard for me
Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Took the bird out earlier this evening...

I took the Superhawk up into the Columbia River Gorge to Multnomah Falls and took this pic at about 1700 earlier this evening. Put in just a hair under 70 miles. Must have been about 32F out - dry as a bone. We're expecting a lil' snow 'n' freezing rain over the next 24-36 hours though.
The really cute thing about this ride is that my hand warmers on the handlebars weren't working right. :\

Spaz'
Attached Thumbnails MN WINTERS-121109.1700.jpg  
Old 12-12-2009, 01:21 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
CALIFORNIA might be the place to be!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
If living in cold climates with long winters, when it comes time to buy a house, make sure it has a heated garage and ideally is should be separate from the house. The house is for the misses and the garage is mine. This makes for a happy marriage.
Of course the garage needs to be heated. Mine happens to be heat with wood. Where I live, you never have to worry about cold beer in the winter unless it drops to -30 out, in which case you need to think about keeping the nectar of the gods warmed up a little.
P.S. None of that light **** either; real beer only. Besides tasting bad, it freezes way to quickly.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
... for those of you in MN check it out suggested speed limit is 20-25 mph...too twisty????
This last June I was riding up there. It is a nice ride on the way up to twin harbors. You also get a great view of superior, which is eternally cold.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1

Yep, nothing like that brutally cold, crisp, CLEAN air!

What I WONT miss..

Removing my car battery and bringing it in the house at night so it won't deep freeze, and then getting up at 5am and re-installing it when -30deg so I can go to school in the morning...
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM
MotoGP

There's no doubt that the cold tears up equipment but just like in nature, the weak ones are the first to fail. I bet they're getting their asses beat this week - it's the coldest it's been here in a long time so I know what they're going through.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:39 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
take your battery out? no block heater and extension cord?

cold crisp air has a bad side - low humidity

mn is cold!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain. 22" Sat, 25" more mid week!! Seems like I'll never get back on the Hawk.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
Im in the nw corner of ARK and from what Im understanding is these winters are some of the worse thats hit most of the u.s. in several years, heard that these conditions are supposed to be this way for a few years to come. Im still waiting for my 1st real ride on my '02 hawkster, just going through everything on the bike while i have time to play with it, cant wait though the excitement is kickin my ***, lol

Quick Reply: MN WINTERS