Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

today: motogp @ brno fp1 report *spoiler if you follow fp's*

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
today: motogp @ brno fp1 report *spoiler if you follow fp's*

dont think many people follow the free practices and qualifying practices in motogp, but i threw on the spoiler alert just in case you do.

major highlights:
- stoner is out for 3 races
- mika kallio is filling in for stoner on the factory ducati
- michel fabrizio from wsbk is taking mika's bike for the time being with pramac ducati

contract highlights:
- both dovi and pedro are signed with HRC/repsol for ***2*** more seasons, so 2010 and 2011
- this means jorge lorenzo most definitely is not moving to repsol for next year, he'll more than likely stay with yamaha (no other teams are a viable option for him) (there were rumors that he was moving to honda to take a #1 spot, rather than be in the shadow of rossi. plus yamaha apparently doesnt have enough money to pay him what he wants haha--only enough $$$ for 1 super star apparently lol.)
- san carlo honda gresini (the main honda satellite team) will be taking simoncelli from 250's and i believe melandri back (for like the 3rd time) from hayate, as hayate/kawasaki is out for good in 2010.

other highlights:
- pedro is supposedly testing new parts on monday, i believe dovi already is running them for this weekend. major major major piece is that theyre going to run OHLINS suspension instead of showa. the only honda bike to have run ohlins was randy de puniet up until recently. hrc and showa have a tight relationship. basically, the main reason for the switch is that the showa suspension hasn't been able to adapt to the bridgestone control tires very well. most teams run ohlins, and those teams adapted the tire really early on. stoner and rossi did it early 2008 for instance (bridgestone carcass designs and compounds mainly), and then took off running early in the 2009 season with the change over to control tires.

ok so finally for the good stuff:
- the biggggggggest surprise was that mika kallio finished 7th in free practice. thats bloody friggin astounding as this is his first time on STONER'S factory ducati. gotta remember that hayden's gp9 had some major changes done to it because stoners setup didnt fit nicky at all. so in essence, stoner's gp9 is the most brutal desmosedici in the field, still the raw one that neither capirossi, bayliss, checa, gibernau, or melandri could master (capirossi and bayliss did get some wins though, but not championship setting stuff). this is pretty serious for one, nicky hayden now has the pressure on to perform even better. there was a good showing by nicky placing in the top 10 at assen, laguna, and sachsenring, then a bad call on tires at donington park. thing is, he's had to really do a lot of crap to get the bike to work for him. theres also this agreement that the ducati is probably the hardest bike to master, and so far it seems that only casey stoner has been able to master it. if mika kallio can do it, damn, what if next year will be stoner+kallio tearing it up like rossi+lorenzo this year?! (no word as to what might happen yet, but rumors are that nicky is staying with ducati anyways.)
- lorenzo breaks the track record of 1:57.1ish (IIRC) with 1:56.595. thats like a half second, and its freaking free practice! he busted the LR a few times during this session, doing it first around lap 12, then again, and then again lap 19 i believe. the guy is pushing the limit like nuts, and rossi has been really working to keep up. the split in the field is ridiculous. rossi + lorenzo are 1.5 seconds ahead of pedro in 3rd, and pedro is by no means a slow guy.
- rossi is first in championship standings, by a margin of 25 points over lorenzo. same kind of deal happened last year with rossi and stoner, but after rossi's laguna win, stoner started heading down hill. 25 points isnt much of a safe lead, if you dont follow motogp.
- rumor mill is churning pretty crazy about stoner. personally, i like the guy alot, and really want to see him do well. people are going on about whether or not he really is sick, or if its in his head. ducati are saying that it ISNT a psych problem for casey (if you remember last year with melandri and ducati, he said he wanted to change a few things with the bike, team management sent him to see a shrink LOL). makes you wonder if stoner is just burned out or something and calling it a "health issue" or something. i really hope not, i really really hope not.

< /report >

:7:
Old 08-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
Interesting report--thanks. Since I don't have SpeedTV I follow MGP online at speedtv.com and, occasionally, crash.net and in RoadRacingWorld. I'm a Stoner/Hayden fan. I think the GP09 is a real negative to Ducati marketing. If only Stoner can master that bike why should us mortals layout money on a big Duc. I've owned a Duc--too expensive on the maintenance end and my current SH would kick the pricey Duc's *** everywhere (1000ds model) and the maintenace can be handled at home.

I made Indy on '08 and will miss it in '09 and am sad about that. I have hopes that Hayden and Edwards can be top 10 with one of them on the podium. If you go, make sure that you take in the Indy dirt track mile at the fairgrounds--it'll be every bit as good the the MGP.