Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

Anyone going? I will be there with a team and just wanted to know if I should be on the look out. I imagine I might have some free time, leaving tomorrow on an Iron Butt to get there, coming back next sunday night after the race.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
Guy from the WERA forum competed on an R1. You will enjoy this ride...

Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Squid

Dave is on a distinguished road
Great video ^

Here's Greg Tracy taking it under 10 minutes on a Multistrada.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
No longer interested.. All paved now.... far as Im concerned the race is now hystory
Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM
SuperBike

I feel the same way about the Isle of Mann. Its not really a race anymore because its paved. Pretty much anyone could do it

Sorry, sarcasm over. If you haven't been up on the mountain at 3 in the morning for practices and race day, then you can't really say if it is a race or not. This was the most amazing and dangerous track that I have ever been to. There was a guy who ran the TT and said that this is far more dangerous. Another guy was an Erzburg finisher, and said this is nuts (in broken english).

By the way, the R1 video at approx 2:35 you can see a skid mark and some oil dry. Courtesy of #8 xr1200 rider Wes Orloff.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
Wow that Greg Tracy run was superb.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM
SuperBike

And to think, Carlin Dunn was 6 seconds faster.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:07 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
I feel the same way about the Isle of Mann. Its not really a race anymore because its paved. Pretty much anyone could do it

Sorry, sarcasm over. If you haven't been up on the mountain at 3 in the morning for practices and race day, then you can't really say if it is a race or not.
I have been up the mountain... on a car, on a bike, during testing and on race day as team support and spectator. Was there on the last race with dirt..

Im not saying it's not a great race... Im saying it's not the same,, and now, history for me.. and a guess a new chapter for others,,, and still a great race but different.

Much like Barstow to Vegas is for me.. some folks still run it every year.. but it's not the same as when I raced it in the late 1980's.

IOM is likely not the same as it was 10 years ago either .... but as I've never even seen the track myself in person....it's evolution has no impact on my enjoyment.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 08-27-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: EDITED.. Did not mean to imply I EVER raced PP
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 AM
SuperBike

You raced it in both a car and on a bike? I have to give you some credit then. I, unfortunately, was not able to make it there during the dirt years. I view the evolution the same as the coming and going of group b, although I was only a handful of years old for that. What I do view as a death of great racing is CART and IRL, so is it the same as that, I dont know.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
You raced it in both a car and on a bike? I have to give you some credit then. I, unfortunately, was not able to make it there during the dirt years. I view the evolution the same as the coming and going of group b, although I was only a handful of years old for that. What I do view as a death of great racing is CART and IRL, so is it the same as that, I dont know.
Or crap no.. NEVER RACED it, did not mean to imply that.

I have been there in team support several times over the years.. And was there as a spectator several other times when I lived in CO in the Mid 80's

And I mean NO disrespect to the racers of this years run, or the next 100 years.. It takes ***** to run that course flat out.