Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

Malidin DQ'ed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
Malidin DQ'ed

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12826

Wonder what they found different
Old 08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Possibly a slight difference in stroke. Longer stroke would increase displacement and improve torque.

Sounds to me like that just about hands the championship to Ben Spies.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Unless of course they tear Spies down next and find his crank to be illegal too! Makes you wonder how those boys have been 1-2 seconds a lap faster than the field for the last 4 years!?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, I've wondered about that. Tommy Hayden riding on the same team can't even keep up with those two.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
seems that you would have to know to look at certain parts to ID them.

Was the AMA "tipped" off by cranky person?

I assume the appeal will fall flat upon deaf ears as usual at the AMA.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 PM
SuperBike

Interestingly subsequent reports say that the AMA ended up with three cranks from Suzuki and all three were the same but not Mladins. It was also said that Spies and Hayden's tear down was top end only, bet it's not top end only next race!

I have been highly critical of DMG but I do acknowledge (with some limited first hand knowledge) that all of the factories cheat to varying degrees. It was rampant in the 80's and early 90's and most of my direct knowledge was in SuperSport.

While I completely disagree with DMG's vision of the future of Roadracing I applaud finally enforcing the rules!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Back Marker

01SuperChicken is on a distinguished road
They appealed it.
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12831
Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 PM
SuperBike

Good luck with the appeal they didn't reverse themselves with Erion Honda or Steve Rapps Kawasaki I don't think they'll do here either. I just read another bit in RoadRacing World..seems in retropect the AMA/DMG wish they'd pulled the cranks on Spies and Hayden too.

I predict some much closer racing in Road Atlanta if those boys have to go back to legal cranks..maybe some different people on the box like say Hacking or Hodgson.
Sort of like the song "How long has this been goin on".
Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Just when there was a HINT of excitement they just handed Spies the championship...YAWN....But I still personally think it's pretty lame to all of sudden attribute Mladin and Spies' dominance to "oh they've been cheating no wonder they've been winning." The fact that Tommy Hayden can't keep up with them should tell you a little something...I'd really like to see everyone swap bikes/makes and see what happens. But then again what the hell do I know...I'm not in the garage to see who's messing with what or who's getting special treatment.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 PM
MotoGP

As you know, favoritism within a team does happen...Nicky Hayden is a prime example of getting the short end of it.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
All that aside I always liked Matt Mladin cause I kinda liked his attitude and lifestyle. But I still long for the races from the mid 90's to the early 2000's where you had a bunch of different riders and all makes were winning. Gobert would always go to the front and even still get wins no matter what the hell he was riding (very sad story, last I read he was arrested for pickpocketing an old man and had a job application in at subway-true story), Eric Bostrom would win often on an old ZX7 and then on a Ducati, Kurtis Roberts was also winning and seemed like he was bound for greatness (what the hell happened to him?). Miguel would still throw in a win here and there. It all just seemed a hell of a lot less boring and less predictable than now. Its just kind of annoying to watch great riders like Neil Hodgson and Eric Bostrom never riding for a win. Maybe that's why DMG is trying to do what they're doing, not that I think they're going about it the right way...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Back Marker

01SuperChicken is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Gobert would always go to the front and even still get wins no matter what the hell he was riding (very sad story, last I read he was arrested for pickpocketing an old man and had a job application in at subway-true story), Eric Bostrom would win often on an old ZX7 and then on a Ducati, Kurtis Roberts was also winning and seemed like he was bound for greatness (what the hell happened to him?).
He rode Aussie SBK last year (07). Apparently he wasn't that remarkable. Too much time out of the saddle, I guess...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Ah, the fine art of race machine cheating.

The nearest I ever got to it was putting the black box from a GSX-R400 into a production race GSX-R1100 in the mid 1908s. I found that, though it would rev to 14,000, I got further faster by short-shifting anyway.

The real fast guys (most with the same mod, which could not be picked by eye) were always quicker around the track than me on those things regardless, so I changed back and consoled myself with the thought that at least I was being honest to the rules.

More funding = better cheating.