Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

List of eligible bikes for new superbike class...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:24 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
List of eligible bikes for new superbike class...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/May/080526a.htm

In other words superbike is going to be another gsxr750 cup....I know there's a 140 hp limit but even so, who the hell it going to run any of those other bikes against one?

Last edited by captainchaos; 05-26-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:51 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I dunno... the 848 tuned and built right might do alright. But then again, maybe not...
Old 05-26-2008, 05:16 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
the 848 is supposed to be mid 130's for hp, about 350 in weight, and it will have, or should have, a torque advantage. it should be a good choice. The buell 1125 has a lot of displacement for the class, considering you could run a R6 up against the likes. It seems sort of foolish. Probably going to be a waste of time to watch, as well.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:17 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Jeez. For any mere mortal with $10k-$12k dollars in pocket or on credit, a "superbike" is a one thousand cc CBR/GSX-R/Ninja/R1. Given the rules posted at the link, I'd put my money on the Buell. It makes as much power as anything on that list and has a superior powerband to all the others. A Buell 1125 and a GSX-R600 in the same class? What a joke. A Suzuki 600 and 750 in the same class? What moron dreamed that up?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:01 PM
RK1
MotoGP

First place prize money- $50k

Second thru TWENTIETH- $5k

Huh?

Why bust your *** to finish 2nd or 3rd when you get no more than the slug who finished 20th?

How stupid is that?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 PM
SuperBike

LMAO! I was laughing about that exact same thing earlier. I would be happy with 19th or 20th place every single race.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
the buell and the ducati don't even win against the current 600's...maybe a factory effort ducati with a top level rider...no offense larry pegram is a great rider...
Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I read the new rules with absolute astonishment, I don't know what they smoke in Florida but I sure would like to try some! Maybe it would cause me to take my leathers out of storage build a SuperSport spec GSXR-750 and make 5K a weekend.

To the best of my knowledge the GSXR-750 is not currently legal in 600FX, so either this is a back door attempt to keep Suzuki in the game or it is a view of where DMG would like Daytona Superbike to go ie back to 750's (which wouldn't bother me).

I would also recommend Honda reintroduce the RC51, if the Aprilia Tuono is legal the RC should be as well. For those commenting on the benefits of a Buell..get over it..the Buell has been legal for a year or two and at one point there were 6 or 8 factory supported entries. Not only were they not competitive only one actually finished the race.

I'm also not sure where the purse is coming from? The OEM's not likely! The promoters? Lets see it will cost more for a single class than all four classes cost me last year..I don't think so!

Like I said I don't know what DMG is smokin but the next week or so should be fun when the OEM's, Teams and Riders start to chime in..stay tuned folks!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird, strange... I still think it's dumb to design an entire ROADRACING series around the limitations of an antiquated "stock car" track.

The grandstands at Daytona are ALWAYS EMPTY.... except for the occaisional drunk that stumbles over from Harley Bike Week. I always feel a twinge of embarrassment, since it is played up as the flagship event of the series. Give me a good roadracing course with fans sitting on grassy hillsides.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Weird, strange... I still think it's dumb to design an entire ROADRACING series around the limitations of an antiquated "stock car" track.

The grandstands at Daytona are ALWAYS EMPTY.... except for the occaisional drunk that stumbles over from Harley Bike Week. I always feel a twinge of embarrassment, since it is played up as the flagship event of the series. Give me a good roadracing course with fans sitting on grassy hillsides.
L8RGYZ makes a great point and identifies one of the Fanatasies/falacies with DMG's "well this is how they do it in NasCar plan". Many if not most Nascar venues are roundy round left hand only speedway events. Stadiums like Charlotte, Talledega, Daytona, Pocono where you can sit in the stands and see most if not all of the track while drinking your beer and munching your barbeque.

Roadracing by it's heritage and nature is a road circuit where in any given lap a spectator may see 10% of a lap. I think watching the race on TV is acually a better viewing experience than being there. However if your a true motorhead it just ain't the same as being there.

Face it most of us aren't there for the Beer or the Barbeque and if we wanted to watch roundy round racing hell let's go to a 1/2 mile or mile race.

Motorcycle Roadracing is not Nascar! The fans are very different (not that you can't be a fan of both) although my guess is that most Nascar folks could care less about them there motorcicles!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
This is idiocy, pure and simple. (I hope I'm proved wrong.)
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
FYI, all of Buell's "history" has been with Harley's ancient, air-cooled engines. With the new 1125R, I'd put my money on Buell.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Syclone
FYI, all of Buell's "history" has been with Harley's ancient, air-cooled engines. With the new 1125R, I'd put my money on Buell.
Just keep Steve Scheibe away from it.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
I think watching the race on TV is acually a better viewing experience than being there. However if your a true motorhead it just ain't the same as being there.
A couple years ago they had 2 huge Jumbotrons @ VIR. You could watch it on TV AND be there too. Very cool!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
SuperBike

I'd put my money on Buell.
I'd say BMW has a much better chance of success than Buell.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I wonder how the KTM Super Duke will do in that field?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM
SuperBike

On the contrary it was prior to last season that the Buell 1125R was ruled to be legal for 600FX, Honda for one was furious about it and pulled out of the competition commitee. They needn't be too concerned as it turned out. It seems 6 or 8 "factory specials" showed up at Daytona and they were not only slow all but one blew up.

As for the BMW I don't think it stands a snowballs chance in hell of getting below 400 pounds legally and 140HP out of that engine is very unlikely. I don't know much about the KTM so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
The 1125R has already been raced? I didn't think it had been in production long enough to be run already.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
RK1
MotoGP

I'm jut a casual observer of racing, I don't know much about the details, but if 1000cc Ducati twins could beat the Japanese 750 I-4s, I don't see how the Buell, if and when they sort it out, would fail to be competitive.

With the 3 lbs. per H.P. limit for the bikes, the larger displacement 140 horse bikes will have a peak power to weight advantage as soon as the rider sits on them, and a much greater advantage at lower rpm. If the big twins can be made reliable and to handle well I think they will do very well.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 PM
SuperBike

The 1125R has already been raced? I didn't think it had been in production long enough to be run already.
My bad!! I went back and checked my resources. It was not the Buell 1125R that littered itself all over Daytona..it was the air/oil cooled $30K Buell XBRR. The new liquid cooled 1125R has not been raced.

Sorry about that but I'm not a Buell fan regardless..to me it's like putting perfume on a pig..smells great but it's still a pig. Maybe the KTM design will be better.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
SuperBike

speaking of KTM...

Any rumors, confirmed or otherwise, about when and how much the RC8 will be in the states?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I heard from the sales folks at Scuderia West in SF that it would not be until next year, and the price would be "affordable".
Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
dumb, dumb, dumb. $5000, for 2nd thru 20th. That would be fantastic if there were 20 entries, and 1st place ran away with it and the rest of the group just sunday drove to the finish.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:57 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by autoteach
dumb, dumb, dumb. $5000, for 2nd thru 20th. That would be fantastic if there were 20 entries, and 1st place ran away with it and the rest of the group just sunday drove to the finish.
I'll go you one better..lets have the 10 fastest guys agree to a different winner every race weekend. Ten races and we all make @$100K on top of whatever our contract is. And best of all it still leave $500k up for grabs for riders 11-20th.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
GSX-R 750, Yoshimura, Mladin, Spies, Reg O'Rourke. That is if Mladin, Spies, and O'Rourke return next year....
Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Heck.. I'm a crappy rider even amongst amateurs, and if they where doling out those sums here in Sweden I'd still be fairly sure of making a profit... Top 20 ain't that hard...
Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Moto Man
I heard from the sales folks at Scuderia West in SF that it would not be until next year, and the price would be "affordable".
I'm reading somewhere around $20K most places. Not what I'd call affordable...

http://www.dirtbikebook.com/acatalog...c8concept.html
Attached Thumbnails List of eligible bikes for new superbike class...-1190rc8orangeperspfrontp.jpg  
Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
stock fork inner and outer tubes, so we're not even running FX spec on the suspention. just mildly tuned motors. superstock legal 600's are putting out close to 130hp I know club racer puting out that much on there bike for not stupid money. this will not be top teir racing. but I might still go out that and try to get my 5grand. I bet the the best racing will be for 1st-2nd and 20th-21st

WSBK has been looking to top US riders something tells me there will be a few avaliable.

Last edited by gssbmm; 05-27-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by gssbmm
stock fork inner and outer tubes, so we're not even running FX spec on the suspention. just mildly tuned motors. superstock legal 600's are putting out close to 130hp I know club racer puting out that much on there bike for not stupid money. this will not be top teir racing. but I might still go out that and try to get my 5grand. I bet the the best racing will be for 1st-2nd and 20th-21st

WSBK has been looking to top US riders something tells me there will be a few avaliable.
The Ohlins USA distributor must be on the verge of Hari Kari since a quick visual of the current FX field looks like an all Ohlins forks affair. I think it was Larry Pegram that was selling his used forks earlier this year for $20K and they apparently cost $30k new.

I can also just see Spencer and the announcer du jour commenting on that fantastic battle going on between 20th thru 24th or 25th for the last paying spot and only a lap down on the leader (boy that does sound like Nascar).

I think GSBMM is right get your passports ready and head to WSBK!

Last edited by HRCA#1; 05-28-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Squid

clarkwebb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
The Ohlins USA distributor must be on the verge of Hari Kari since a quick visual of the current FX field looks like an all Ohlins forks affair. I think it was Larry Pegram that was selling his used forks earlier this year for $20K and they apparently cost $30k new.

I can also just see Spencer and the announcer du jour commenting on that fantastic battle going on between 20th thru 24th or 25th for the last paying spot and only a lap down on the leader (boy that does sound like Nascar).

I think GSBMM is right get your passports ready and head to WSBK!

Quick Reply: List of eligible bikes for new superbike class...