Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

Ducati Signs Hayden for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Ducati Signs Hayden for 2010

DUCATI CONFIRM NICKY HAYDEN FOR 2010 IN THE DUCATI MARLBORO TEAM

Ducati Corse is hereby pleased to announce that Nicky Hayden will sign a one year extension to his current agreement and will line up alongside Casey Stoner in the Ducati Marlboro Team for 2010.

"The confirmation of Nicky is the right reward to a rider who has shown to perfectly embody the frame of mind that characterizes Ducati - Passion, Determination and Commitment," said Claudio Domenicali, Ducati Motor Holding General Manager. "We have always considered Nicky to be an important asset to the Ducati 2010 strategy and we are very happy that he will remain in the Ducati Marlboro Team. His progression through the season has been constant up to the podium in Indianapolis and we are certain that the experience he has gained will be decisive for a 2010 season full of success."

"This has been a very good week and this news just adds to that," commented Nicky Hayden. "After the good result in Indy, now to renew the deal with Ducati is exactly what I wanted. I'm very happy. I always had faith and believed that we could achieve good results. I'm excited for these last five races of the '09 season, and if you look at the progression we have made from the start of the season to the middle, hopefully we will continue this through to the end. I just wish to say a big thanks to all the guys who made this happen, especially everybody in Ducati as well as all our sponsors and I'm sure I'll be able to do a good job next year and to continue to build with, and be part of, the Ducati family."
Old 09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Good news for Nicky. More time on the bike certainly is a plus for going fast. Hopefully they can get it dialed in for him.

It would help if Rossi retired. My dislike for him is similar to dislike of Matt Mladin or the New York Yankees. Its easy to jump on the bandwagon of someone who is winning.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I read an article in Roadracing world where Nicky described changes in the ride height on his bike and it allowed better weight transfer to the front wheel. He said he was finally getting enough feedback from the front end to feel what it was doing. His results have shown that he was telling the truth. Nicky is a dirtbike/superbike rider. He would be better without traction control.

This isn't the Dani Pedrosa thread, but what I have to say is that he can lay down really fast laps on the flowing courses, but when it comes time to race, he's not there.

Velentino Rossi can outrace anyone and looks forward to the challenge. In many cases, just being in a race with Rossi for the win causes people to crash. It doesn't mater what he's riding. If he and Jeremy Burgess can figure out how to get it dialled in, he'll win on it.

Not everybody's going to be a fan, but he's the best racer, by far.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

Nicky wants to win. Here's to hoping He puts the Duc on top of the box soon!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:29 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I like Mat Mladin because of what I've read from him and others regarding his attitude and approach to doing things, not simply because he wins so much. And I'd be curious to see how Nicky would do in WSBK-the bikes I'm sure are more suited to him. My 2 cents, I'd rather be a winner in WSBK (not that I'm saying he could simply jump in and kick *** there) than an also ran in MotoGP.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

And I guess I used to be a bigger Nicky fan until I met him the year he won Daytona. I don't know him personally, but he had that "now I'm a rock-star & I'm too good to even look at you when I sign your poster" attitude-probably got it from his teammate at the time Miguel Duhamel, who acted exactly the same way. Mind you this was a couple days before he even won. It was a sharp contrast to meeting folks like Eric Bostrom, who couldn't have been cooler-he didn't know me and I just walked up to him and we talked about everything from spending time with our brothers, to mountainbiking & rockclimbing, etc.

Last edited by captainchaos; 09-04-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
MotoGP

I just think Mladin comes off as an arrogant ***** when interviewed on TV. He may be a great guy in person, but when you're winning races by almost 1/2 a lap, its time to move up to the next level...WSB. Of course his retirement announcement negates that.

I think one of the most classy and ***** out riders of our time was Troy Bayliss. Again, I don't know him, but he just comes off that way when interviewed. He keeps his nose out of the air, seems like a regular guy.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:17 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Good news for Nicky. More time on the bike certainly is a plus for going fast. Hopefully they can get it dialed in for him.

It would help if Rossi retired. My dislike for him is similar to dislike of Matt Mladin or the New York Yankees. Its easy to jump on the bandwagon of someone who is winning.
I can understand your feelings. I'm certainly no fan of Mladin, but there is a difference. Mladin stays in AMA because he knows he's on another level and he can just stomp on the competition every year. its like a 30 year old in the kiddie pool winning a splashing contest. he should have moved on to more challenging arenas like WSB or MotoGP. but rossi is already in the premier racing class. where's he gonna go? you don't think he'd be winning in WSB? it would be a slaughter. if he were in a lower level of competition, I would agree with you, but being in the highest level already, I think he's entitled to dominate as long as he can.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by swordfish
I can understand your feelings. I'm certainly no fan of Mladin, but there is a difference. Mladin stays in AMA because he knows he's on another level and he can just stomp on the competition every year. its like a 30 year old in the kiddie pool winning a splashing contest. he should have moved on to more challenging arenas like WSB or MotoGP. but rossi is already in the premier racing class. where's he gonna go? you don't think he'd be winning in WSB? it would be a slaughter. if he were in a lower level of competition, I would agree with you, but being in the highest level already, I think he's entitled to dominate as long as he can.
Well Mladin already was a grand prix rider towards the beginning of his career. And from what I've read I'm not so sure he's had many offers to race WSBK or back in MotoGP, despite a desire to do so. Besides even if he was offered a MotoGP ride on a Suzuki why take it? The bike isn't and hasn't been competetive for a long time. I'm sure given the opportunity to race in WSBK for the right team on the right bike he'd kick ***, but at this point in his career I think they want a younger rider like Ben Spies. Mladin still beat him last year on a regular basis. And anyone really think on somewhat equal equipment Nicky Hayden's going to stomp on Ben Spies or Mat Mladin in WSBK? I think not. And I think Nicky Hayden would be an even bigger star if he were winning championships on a Ducati in WSBK. I'm frankly surprised they kept him in MotoGP another year.

Last edited by captainchaos; 09-04-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Speaking of WSBK, I just saw that Spies signed on for another year with Yamaha.

He's only gonna get faster.

my own thread -haha!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I'm frankly surprised they kept him in MotoGP another year.

I just have to say I don't agree. I think Nicky has decided that if he can't vy for a WIN there's no need to CRASH. I found out a long time ago there's always gonna be a faster guy on a faster bike than me so I don't worry about how fast I'm going. The guy is not paid to push the limits. Nor is he paid to almost crash every lap. He's paid to do the best he can and bring it home, every time, in one piece. That's a much better way to develop talent and hardware than crashing every lap. Not as good footage or press, but much better for the LONG RUN.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad Spies is staying in WSBK another year.

After Nicky was gone, Mladin was almost always the best rider, on the best bike, on the best team.

Hayden has really worked to solve the Ducati puzzle. Everyone knows the bike is a beast to ride. Super-sensitive to setup.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
2008 Daytona Superbike Results
Daytona
1. Mat Mladin (Suzuki)
2. Ben Spies (Suzuki)
3. Jason Disalvo (Yamaha)
4. Tommy Hayden (Suzuki)
5. Jamie Hacking (Kawasaki)

AMA Superbike Barber Saturday Results:
1. Mat Mladin (Suzuki)
2. Jason Disalvo (Yamaha)
3. Tommy Hayden (Suzuki)
4. Jamie Hacking (Kawasaki)
5. Neil Hodgson (Honda)
6. Miguel Duhamel (Honda)
7. Eric Bostrom (Yamaha)
8. Geoff May (Suzuki)
9. Chris Peris (Suzuki)
10. Jordan Szoke (Kawasaki)
11. Ben Spies (Suzuki)

AMA Superbike Barber Sunday Results:
1 Mathew Mladin (Suzuki)
2 Ben Spies (Suzuki)
3 Tommy Hayden (Suzuki)
4 Jason DiSalvo (Yamaha)
5 Neil Hodgson (Honda)

AMA Superbike Race 1 Fontana Saturday Results:
1. Ben Spies (Suzuki)
2. Mat Mladin (Suzuki)
3. Tommy Hayden (Suzuki)
4. Neil Hodgson (Honda)
5. Eric Bostrom (Yamaha)

AMA Superbike Race 2 Fontana Sunday Results:
1. Ben Spies, Suzuki
2. Mat Mladin, Suzuki
3. Tommy Hayden, Suzuki
4. Neil Hodgson, Honda
5. Jason DiSalvo, Yamaha

AMA Superbike Saturday Race 1 Infineon Results:
1. Ben Spies, Suzuki
2. Mat Mladin, Suzuki
3. Jamie Hacking, Kawasaki
4. Eric Bostrom, Yamaha
5. Aaron Yates, Suzuki

AMA Superbike Sunday Race 2 Infineon Results:
1. Ben Spies, Suzuki GSX-R1000
2. Mat Mladin, Suzuki GSX-R1000
3. Jamie Hacking, Kawasaki ZX-10R
4. Aaron Yates, Suzuki GSX-R1000
5. Neil Hodgson, Honda CBR1000RR

AMA Superbike Saturday Race 1 Miller Results:
2. Jamie Hacking, Kawasaki ZX-10R
3. Neil Hodgson, Honda CBR1000RR
4. Aaron Yates, Suzuki GSX-R1000
5. Miguel Duhamel, Honda CBR1000RR

AMA Superbike Sunday Race 2 Miller Results:

2. Jamie Hacking, Kawasaki ZX-10R
3. Neil Hodgson, Honda CBR1000RR
4. Mat Mladin, Suzuki GSX-R1000
5. Aaron Yates, Suzuki GSX-R1000

AMA Superbike Saturday Race 1 Road America Results:
2. Mat Mladin, Suzuki GSX-R1000
4. Neil Hodgson, Honda CBR1000RR

AMA Superbike Sunday Race 2 Road America Results:
1. Mat Mladin, Suzuki GSX-R1000
2. Ben Spies, Suzuki GSX-R1000
4. Neil Hodgson, Honda CBR1000RR
5. Eric Bostrom, Yamaha YZF-R1

AMA Superbike Laguna Seca Results:
1. Mat Mladin (Suzuki)
2. Ben Spies (Suzuki)
3. Aaron Yates (Suzuki)
4. Jamie Hacking (Kawasaki)
5. Tommy Hayden (Suzuki)

AMA Superbike Mid-Ohio Race 1 Results:
4. Jason DiSalvo, Yamaha YZF-R1
5. Tommy Hayden, Suzuki GSX-R1000

AMA Superbike Mid-Ohio Results:
1 Mathew Mladin Suzuki GSX-R1000
2 Ben Spies Suzuki GSX-R1000
3 Jamie Hacking Kawasaki ZX-10R
4 Neil Hodgson Honda CBR1000RR
5 Tommy Hayden Suzuki GSX-R1000

AMA Superbike Saturday Race 1 VIR Results:
3. Tommy Hayden, Suzuki GSX-R1000
4. Eric Bostrom, Yamaha YZF-R1
5. Jason Disalvo, Yamaha YZF-R1

AMA Superbike Sunday Race 2 VIR Results:
3. Tommy Hayden, Suzuki GSX-R1000
4. Eric Bostrom, Yamaha YZF-R1

AMA Superbike Road Atlanta Saturday Results

AMA Superbike Road Atlanta Sunday Results
1 Ben Spies Suzuki GSX-R1000
2 Mathew Mladin Suzuki GSX-R1000
3 Tommy Hayden Suzuki GSX-R1000
4 Miguel DuHamel Honda CBR1000RR
5 Jason DiSalvo Yamaha YZF-R1

2008 AMA Superbike Laguna Seca Results
1. Mat Mladin (Suzuki)
2. Ben Spies (Suzuki) +12.582
3. Tommy Hayden (Suzuki) +17.902
4. Aaron Yates (Suzuki) +21.236
5. Neil Hodgson (Honda) +28.558

These were from the AMA site. At the VIR races, Matt Mladin was disqualified. Matt had 9 wins and Ben had 10. Seems to me like they both beat each other regularly.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Well Mladin already was a grand prix rider towards the beginning of his career. And from what I've read I'm not so sure he's had many offers to race WSBK or back in MotoGP, despite a desire to do so. Besides even if he was offered a MotoGP ride on a Suzuki why take it? The bike isn't and hasn't been competetive for a long time. I'm sure given the opportunity to race in WSBK for the right team on the right bike he'd kick ***, but at this point in his career I think they want a younger rider like Ben Spies. Mladin still beat him last year on a regular basis. And anyone really think on somewhat equal equipment Nicky Hayden's going to stomp on Ben Spies or Mat Mladin in WSBK? I think not. And I think Nicky Hayden would be an even bigger star if he were winning championships on a Ducati in WSBK. I'm frankly surprised they kept him in MotoGP another year.
I agree, I don't blame him for not wanting to ride a suzuki in motogp. but I think he could probably secure a ride with a different brand. his record is rediculous. I'd love to see him in WSB. I'd have so much more respect for him if he was in WSB even doing half as well as he is in AMA. right now, you simply can't gauge how good he is because nobody even challenges him. I'd like to see Nicky in WSB too. like I said before, right now, he's got a brick wall of talent standing in his way. I think he'd do well to rack up some seasons in WSB and then maybe come back to MotoGP in a few years. he's still young enough.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 AM
SuperBike

I'd say Nicky has started to come to grips with it.

Front row:
Rossi-Pedrosa-Lorenzo
Second row:
Elias-Edwards-Hayden

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=37984

It should be a race! Hopefully Dani and Jorge can keep the tires on the tarmac. I want to see Colin and Nicky duke it out. But then I'm partial to my homies!

Ben Spies was down on Nori by less than a 10th on race tires in qualifying. My palms are sweaty just thinking about it. Go Ben!!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
I just have to say I don't agree. I think Nicky has decided that if he can't vy for a WIN there's no need to CRASH. I found out a long time ago there's always gonna be a faster guy on a faster bike than me so I don't worry about how fast I'm going. The guy is not paid to push the limits. Nor is he paid to almost crash every lap. He's paid to do the best he can and bring it home, every time, in one piece. That's a much better way to develop talent and hardware than crashing every lap. Not as good footage or press, but much better for the LONG RUN.
This is true, but I just didn't think all the results way down the order would keep a job at that level. Especially when Stoner was finishing up front on the same bike. And what you say about someone always being faster is true of folks like us, but I don't think that attitude applies to world champions-at least not at the peak of their career. He's not paid to push the limits? I think he is. He's paid to push as hard as he can and not throw it down the road. He's a former world champion, and I think Ducati expects him to win, no?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
SuperBike

Nicky couldn't make the bike work for him at first. He apparently wasn't getting enough weight transfer on to the front wheel and never knew when he was going to lose the front.

I'm betting things are going to be different. I think he's going to have a good race tomorrow. If one of the kids crashes, he might even end up on the podium, but he's going to have to beat Colin edwards and Tony Elias and Andrea Dovizioso to get there.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Besides Casey Stoner, NO ONE has been able to make the Ducati work. Melandri, Gibernau - they even brought in Troy Bayliss to try and help them figure out what was wrong with that bike. The Ducati has had a reputation for being extremely difficult to ride. Nicky has worked his *** off and is finally starting to have success.

Passion, determination and commitment.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

They're always talking about an italian rider, an italian bike, yada yada. I'm surprised they haven't bought rossi yet. How cool would that be to see him ride it and win on it.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 PM
MotoGP

I'm always cheering for Nicky, but the way Lorenzo's been riding lately, I'm watching him real closely tomorrow.

Hope the Chimp doesn't get in the way.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

Yeah, Lorenzo is right in the hunt, He just needs to keep it on two wheels and stop crashing like...

Who is this Chimp of which you speak??
Old 09-06-2009, 08:26 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jbaxx
Besides Casey Stoner, NO ONE has been able to make the Ducati work. Melandri, Gibernau - they even brought in Troy Bayliss to try and help them figure out what was wrong with that bike. The Ducati has had a reputation for being extremely difficult to ride. Nicky has worked his *** off and is finally starting to have success.

Passion, determination and commitment.
Well while they may not be the exact same bikes, Capirossi & Bayliss were both fast & both won on the Ducati.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 AM
MotoGP

Can you believe it? Not again!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Somebody needs an ***-whoopin'
Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Well while they may not be the exact same bikes, Capirossi & Bayliss were both fast & both won on the Ducati.
Not the same bike, cap!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
If it's so easy to ride, why isn't Kallio kickin' Nicky's ***, Cap?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
If it's so easy to ride, why isn't Kallio kickin' Nicky's ***, Cap?
No one said it was easy to ride. My point was he's a former world champ who has 1 podium finish at a home race and isn't even in the top ten in points, and I simply said I wouldn't have been surprised to see him lose his job.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

I think it just showed Ducati how much more development work the bike needed. Granted, Casey has showed that He can win on it, but for everone else it has been a career-killer. Even Rossi has said regarding the Yamaha that He can't develop the bike to only work for Him.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
Somebody needs an ***-whoopin'
Who are you gonna blame this time... Pedrosa wasn't even close...

The way it looked it was actually Lorenzo slowing up, leaving Edwards with nowhere to go which made Elias slam into him, taking them and Nicky out...

Sad really as it looked like Nicky had actually gotten to a point where he could challenge the 2 squad...

The 3(4) aliens usually in front he probably couldn't have touched...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
MotoGP

Actually I think its amazing in any motorcycle roadrace when everyone makes it through Turn 1 unscathed. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the middle of the pack.

Did anyone see the start of Race 1 in WSBK?

Quick Reply: Ducati Signs Hayden for 2010