Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

AMA/DMG Superbike in '09

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
AMA/DMG Superbike in '09

The AMA/DMG Superbike and other class rules were announced a few days ago. I'm sure most of the big race fans here have already seen them. It looks like there will indeed be Superbike series, with factory support and involvement.

The rules basically make it so the manufacturers have to build near-race bikes for the street, which may or may not be a good thing, but it does keep things semi-production-based.

For engine mods, the bottom end has to remain largely untouched. Crank, rods and pistons have to be as-homologated. Balancing can only be done as the factory does it. This pretty well keeps redline and inertia at near factory specs. I believe the rules will see stronger enforcement, as we saw last year. I think it's mostly to keep the big-budget factory teams from revving to the moon, which is fair, since they "compete" with privateer teams.

Heads are basically unlimited, except for valve angle, size and material. These must remain as homologated. But heads are unlimited in terrms of combustion chamber mods, including welding to add material to increase cmpression ratio. Decking, porting, cams, etc. are unlimited. These will be real Superbike engines up top and near-stock in the bottom end.

The other significant ruling is with tires. AMA bikes must run 17" rims. No 16.5s. Aftermarket magnesium wheels are allowed in Superbike. Dunlop will be the sole tire supplier.

Frames must be as homologated, except stiffeners may be added, none removed. Swingarms can be replaced, as can suspension linkages and components.

Good news, compared with the earlier fiasco!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
So is their so-called Superbike class still going to be 600s?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
No. I forgot to mention that. They will be 1000s for i4s and 1200 twins. (Come on Honda -- RC61 time!)

Seems like it will pretty much be Superbikes, as usual.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:47 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, read the rules on Superbike Planet. That's a relief. I thought it was so dumb making 600s the premier class. Designing an entire race series around Daytona's limitations was ill conceived.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
ama sucks now they need 2 pull it 2gether on the rules, i usually go 2 barbers on free tickets and pit passes haha but skipped this year