Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

Moto GP to go to 800 CC limit

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Moto GP to go to 800 CC limit

I was watching Wind Tunnel last night and Dave Despain had a good segment regarding "Is it the rider, or is it the bike?"
Dealing largely with Honda losing Rossi to Yamaha, Rossi winning at Yamaha, and Rossi just signing a 1 year deal with Yamaha for '06.
AND....Rossi maybe looking to get into Formula 1 driving a few years from now.
Anyways, in the course of his discussion, he mentioned the GP bikes would be going to 800 cc size limit, I think in '07?, but maybe it was '06.
Might be old news but it was the first I had heard of it.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for all the manufacturers.

Supposedly Honda pushed for the change because they have huge $$ spent on their Formula 1 teams and can pull from the technology developed there to produce a winning 800cc motorcycle power plant.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong
Re: Moto GP to go to 800 CC limit

Honda has been building 20,000+ RPM engines for 30 or more years . They have the heads up first year it seems , Ducati possibly as well . A bunch of bikes will be DNF'ing though .

Long red flags to clean up the oil thats been spit out the engine cases along with the rods ect .

I did not like that AMA took Superbike out of the Daytona 200 but be it as it may , to take and nueter MotoGP racing , man I don't know . Seems they could work on tire and chassis technology if they wanted safer racing .

I would be interested in reading who all was involved in this decision if any one has a link to post .

Let me add that I was sad to see the 500's go and never thought the 4-strokes could go the distance . Boy was I wrong . As the 800's develop , remembering they are all defined as prototype machines maybe they will even be faster at some point .

One more thing , seeing the Daytona 200 thing that went on even though they shortened the straight I wonder if soon " relative " we will see a 750cc displacement cap in AMA