SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   ZX10 USD conversion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/zx10-usd-conversion-34375/)

mikstr 03-08-2017 07:17 PM

N004 series are definitely what you need. IIRC, the C suffix (ie. ZRM-N004C) version is for wave-type rotors

skokievtr 03-08-2017 08:18 PM

The EBC V-Lite rotors ARE wave rotors. Where did you buy yours from and for how muchy? :p

And will I only need one finger to flatten my eyeballs on the inside of my face shield with them?

Nity night

mikstr 03-09-2017 03:42 PM

The power is amazing, but even better is the control and feedback these pads offer. I bought mine though a chap named Simon Percival (via the Speedzilla web site), who now sells on eBay with the name hardpartsjapan. As for what I paid, sadly I forget... I do recall they weren't cheap, but the best seldom is....

kenmoore 03-10-2017 01:03 AM

After experiencing these pads, and taking into account the last few bikes through the "Cave"

Ducati 848 with standard brembo

2007 Aprillia Tuono with standard Brembo.

2014 Aprillia Tuono RSV4 with standard Brembo

1986 Bimota Db1 with standard Brembo

You start to get the picture, these pads are "Unreal" for performance and feedback !

I have a set on the way for when I wear out the ones that I got from Mikstr.

Take it on board that these pads are the answer to your braking requirements no matter what set up you have.

Not cheap but outstanding performance compared to standard issue.

Cheers

skokievtr 03-10-2017 07:00 AM

Ken

From where and for how much did you obtain the ZCOO and were they the ZRM-N004C?

Thx

mikstr 03-10-2017 08:12 AM

Forgive me for gloating... but I told you so :)

as for Skokie, they are not the N004-series as they are a totally different caliper from the F4i (ie. Daytona 675 Nissins are a monoblock design and radially mounted)... same material, different shape...

skokievtr 03-10-2017 08:38 AM

Gracias

kenmoore 03-31-2017 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have now fitted the Triumph master ,

I had to do some major makeover work as the right upper fork tube was bent causing the seal to blow.

Had to buy a complete right fork leg as it was cheaper than buying a tube. A bike shop that I use made a new fork up for me using the original cartridge , adjusters and lower fork leg.

A new seal and some oil and hey presto she is going back together. I bled the brakes and the lever is now very firm ! One finger here we come. I am interested to experience the difference that the matched master makes out on the road.

Bike has been off the road for about 2 weeks while all this was happening.

Going for a ride to the nations capital, Canberra on Sunday with an old mate from school who rides a Moto Guzzi and a few of his Guzzi mates so should be a good test !

Pics of course !

Attachment 21309

I had to move the Kill/ Starter switch inboard as the Triumph master is a funny shape, it's a lot bigger than the standard one and certainly takes up a lot more room.

smokinjoe73 03-31-2017 06:01 AM

Awesome man keep us updated on the performance difference.

Oh and how is the riding position compared to stock? Looks like lower bars than stock.

kenmoore 03-31-2017 10:42 AM

Joe,

I took a lot of measurements before I removed the original bars and have set the new ones to the same position.

Last time I rode the bike it felt just the same as far as the ergonomics go. Lucky I took the measurements.

Now I have to fit the fairing to make sure the reservoir clears the fairing. I used the original Triumph mounting bracket and modified it to fit . I have a new multi adjustable mounting bracket on it's way as well as a smaller rizoma reservoir but for now the original Triumph kit will have to do.

kenmoore 03-31-2017 02:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
All back together.

Attachment 21305

The brake reservoir clears the fairing!

Attachment 21306

Attachment 21307

Will try and get a short ride in this arvo to make any necessary adjustments before the big ride tomorrow.

Hopefully all will be well.

smokinjoe73 03-31-2017 04:42 PM

What riser are the apex? 3" or 4"?

kenmoore 03-31-2017 07:04 PM

4"

smokinjoe73 03-31-2017 07:18 PM

Yeah, unobtanium. I should've gotten those instead of the 3" I have. I guess I could sell the 3" after.

kenmoore 04-02-2017 02:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The saga continues.

Rode the bike after fitting the Triumph master and after about a mile the front brakes lock on, bread the master and all is well. Continue on and the same thing happens.

Researched this problem and came to the conclusion that the master is faulty and the brake fluid can't return so it boils and locks the calipers.

Refitted the 05 VTR master and went for a 300 mile ride today.

Man, this bike rocks. The front end is superb and the brakes are just amazing. I have decided to leave the VTR master on for now until I work out what is wrong with the Triumph master. Either way I don't care as the brakes are so powerful that I don't think any other master would make a difference. Makes the F4i setup I had feel lacking.

Now I am thinking about an undertail radiator and a few other things.

I saw these bikes at an Italian festival in Canberra today.

This caught my eye!

Attachment 21297

The whole bike,

Attachment 21298

Nicely done I thought.

Check out this 1950s Guzzi, upside down fork although very spindly and a cantilever swing arm.

Attachment 21299

See all the Ducatis in the background, there was also a genuine green frame there but my I pad ran out of battery.

A very tasty 850 Guzzi

Attachment 21300

Attachment 21301

A good day out and some interesting machinery that has given me some ideas for the future.

mikstr 04-02-2017 06:30 AM

regarding your master, is the lever the OEM piece or an aftermarket unit, more specifically a (cheap) Chinese copy? I ask as there have been instances where people have bought one of the latter only to have this problem, traced to improper tolerances/dimensions. Just something to check out. Jack Flash had a similar problem a couple years back and we solved it by loosening off the small threaded connector link.

hope this helps

kenmoore 04-04-2017 01:36 PM

I bought the levers from the States.

They are not a big name brand and are probably the cause of the problem.

I will get another better set at some stage and see what happens.

Other things like a better back shock are the priority now.

Looking at YSS, Nitron, Ikon, and Wilbers.

More $$ that I don't have at the moment.

mikstr 04-04-2017 03:14 PM

One of Jamie's re-worked F4i shocks would be a good and decently priced alternative (all who have them rave about them)

skokievtr 04-04-2017 03:59 PM

Radial MC

6 Attachment(s)
Guzzi with Baloney Slicer Flywheel a 500?

Nice day down under huh? Snow is in the forecast here for tomorrow...

Made it USA levers, tell me it ain't so Joe?

Will the 19 RCS fit on the Dan Moto 3D bars without trimming anything?

kenmoore 04-07-2017 02:41 AM

Hey,

Yes it was a nice day and yes the Guzzi was a 500.

The levers came from EBay USA, probably Chinese. Won't be bothering as the stock 05 Honda master does a good enough job for me and keeps everything uniform.mScared the shit out of me when the front brakes locked. Best stroppy I've ever done but had to change my undies!

As far as your question about Dan bars go I don't know ! Mine are Apex that I got from Mikstr.

Wolverine 04-07-2017 05:44 AM

Mmmm, look at all that eye candy!

Hawk is looking awesome with those forks too. Just when I'm thinking about gold valves I see this and think, screw that... I want USD!

xeris 04-07-2017 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 401394)
Mmmm, look at all that eye candy!

Hawk is looking awesome with those forks too. Just when I'm thinking about gold valves I see this and think, screw that... I want USD!

Your'er a rich guy so it doesn't matter to you. I, on the other hand, have spent way more than I anticipated and I pretty sure that I'm not done throwing $$ at this swap. While I'm looking forward to having USD coolness, I just hope the results are worth the time and money.

Wolverine 04-07-2017 04:11 PM

Rich!?!? Doesn't matter to me?? I think you have the wrong idea...
If I knew it wouldn't offend you, I'd drop a big ol (xxx) right about here...
:lame:

xeris 04-07-2017 06:39 PM

Hey, lame is what I do.
Not sure what (xxx) is, but I'm certain it wouldn't offend me.

kenmoore 04-08-2017 04:29 AM

Let me assure you guys that so far the swap is worth it.Totally different bike.

Twist it on through the corners now and it is definitely planted.

A better back shock is what is now required and hopefully as far as the suspension goes this bike is sorted.

No doubt when that is done there will be some other mod that is required. Not sure what it is but I know there will be one.

That's the beauty of this bike .

Was the USD worth it ?

The answer is a resounding YES !

Definitely worth the time and $ .

Cheaper than buying a new bike.

Cheers

xeris 04-08-2017 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 401402)
Let me assure you guys that so far the swap is worth it.Totally different bike.

Twist it on through the corners now and it is definitely planted.

A better back shock is what is now required and hopefully as far as the suspension goes this bike is sorted.

No doubt when that is done there will be some other mod that is required. Not sure what it is but I know there will be one.

That's the beauty of this bike .

Was the USD worth it ?

The answer is a resounding YES !

Definitely worth the time and $ .

Cheaper than buying a new bike.

Cheers

That's very reassuring. I'm looking forward to having the swap done. I have a decent shock already, so that part of the equation is done.
Cheaper that a new bike? By a big pile of money. I forget about that aspect of modding madness.
Next mod? The frame brace that Hawk is working on.

kenmoore 04-09-2017 01:12 AM

Same here,

There is a Harc brace on the japanese Jauce site.

Not wanting to put any pressure on Hawk, I would rather get one from him.

Looking forward to that as I should have a decent back shock by then.

8541Hawk 04-09-2017 09:53 AM

Swapping in an USD front end is well worth the time and effort.
Also the reality of it is it is not that hard of a job to do.

I should hear about the braces soon..... it is his "busy" time of year. I did see the HARC brace the Jauce site. Looks like it would run you around $150 usd to get it out of Japan, so I do think I will beat that price. :cool:

8541Hawk 04-09-2017 01:51 PM

The other thing you will notice.......lol is the difference between 296mm rotors and 320mm rotors.....

Doesn't sound like much but it is a world of difference.
I remember the test ride when I did my swap..... the first corner, just a little brake to set the front end and I had to get back on the throttle to just get to the corner because I had slowed down that much :shock:

Yeah it was at low speeds but take the time to relearn the brakes after the swap..... :cool:

mikstr 04-09-2017 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 401418)
The other thing you will notice.......lol is the difference between 296mm rotors and 320mm rotors.....

Doesn't sound like much but it is a world of difference.
I remember the test ride when I did my swap..... the first corner, just a little brake to set the front end and I had to get back on the throttle to just get to the corner because I had slowed down that much :shock:

Yeah it was at low speeds but take the time to relearn the brakes after the swap..... :cool:

remember his set-up (2004-2005 ZX-10R forks) allows one to keep the stock rotors, and that is one of the beauties of this particular swap, for some (like me, allowed me to keep my 20mm Ti axle and PVM front wheel and stock-size Braketech rotors)

And trust me on this one: his brake set-up (yes, 298mm rotors, but Nissin monobloc calipers from Daytona 675 and Zcoo pads) is very, very good (better than many 320mm set-ups I can assure you)....

NHSH 04-09-2017 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 401412)
Swapping in an USD front end is well worth the time and effort.
Also the reality of it is it is not that hard of a job to do.

I should hear about the braces soon..... it is his "busy" time of year. I did see the HARC brace the Jauce site. Looks like it would run you around $150 usd to get it out of Japan, so I do think I will beat that price. :cool:

Hey Mike, good to see you back my friend.
Same here, the USD front end swap made a world of difference in an instant.
I still think it was the best mod I did to the VTR, the most notable immediate improvement you can get.

kenmoore 04-10-2017 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would have to agree with the statements from Mikstr and NHSH.

Unless you have experienced the difference it is hard to explain.

I would have been happy with the difference a USD conversion makes, but the brakes are an added bonus. I have thought about 310 or 320 rotors and after a good ride on Sunday came to the conclusion that the only advantage of bigger rotors is bragging rights.

In other words a waste of time ( I could live to regret that statement) I am very happy with the difference as at this point in time it has exceeded my expectations.

An expensive mod that lifts the VTR to a stage where it still performs admirably, holding many later and "Greater" bikes to account. ( The value of a VTR is subjective.)

As I have said on many previous occasions, the Storm is a very rewarding bike to own especially if you are prepared to work with it.

The old timers know what I mean!

Looking Mean !

Attachment 21280

Cheers !

8541Hawk 04-10-2017 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 401423)
remember his set-up (2004-2005 ZX-10R forks) allows one to keep the stock rotors, and that is one of the beauties of this particular swap, for some (like me, allowed me to keep my 20mm Ti axle and PVM front wheel and stock-size Braketech rotors)

And trust me on this one: his brake set-up (yes, 298mm rotors, but Nissin monobloc calipers from Daytona 675 and Zcoo pads) is very, very good (better than many 320mm set-ups I can assure you)....

That's what happens when you get old.....you forget stuff like that though the message is still the same....take the time to relearn the brakes or go over the bars.....lol

Then again I am a "Good brakes are the most important thing" guy..... Kind of like to have my stops controlled. :cool:

E.Marquez 04-10-2017 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 400882)
I am happy someone else can now confirm what I have been saying for some time now about Zcoo pads. Best pads I have tried, and I have tried quite a few of the highly rated ones (Vesrah RJL and SRJL, HRC hard bite, Carbone Lorraine CL60), in addition to some others and Zcoo are tops (I would still be using them if I wasn't running Braketech CMC rotors - considering how expensive and rare these rotors are, I am using the mfr's recommended pads, Ferodo XRACs). Maybe others supposedly looking for top pads will now pay attention.

Seems Zcoo (a DID corp offshoot) makes different pad compounds
EX Series (Ceramic Sintered) for Sprint race
-The more you grip The braking lever, The more braking come in to force.
EX series provide the best controllability.
-Less damage to the disc rotor.
-Little effect at high temperature.
-Continuous stable braking force.
-Less deterioration by the repetition of heat and cold
-All weather
EX-C Series (Ceramic Sintered) for Endurance race and Wave disc rotor
-High durability against wave shaped disc rotors (twice more than EX series)
-Less damage to the disc rotor
-High braking force from the early stages of braking
-High controllability by easy braking release
-All weather

Which one are you using?
I "think" the N-004 pads are correct for my F41 calipers...can you confirm?

mikstr 04-10-2017 02:09 PM

sadly, I no longer have the information as said pads are now in New Zealand :) (I am now running Ferodo XRACs with my Braketech CMC rotors because that's what BT recommends and given the cost and rarity of the CMCs, I am not about to second-guess them) I seem to recall they only offered one type for the Daytona 675 calipers (Nissin monoblocs) and I think it was EX.... truly incredible pads

truth be told, the Zcoos pads on stainless rotors seemed to work as well, or even slightly better, than what I have now, but the weight savings from the CMC rotors (and Dymag carbon wheels) is just too hard to say no to... feels like riding a 125cc motocross bike (with a stonkin' motor of course, lol)....

xeris 04-10-2017 08:16 PM

Found this the other day after reading about the Zcoo pads.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-13176/page10/
Post 293

E.Marquez 04-12-2017 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 401451)
Found this the other day after reading about the Zcoo pads.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-13176/page10/
Post 293

From that site it is $59 USD per set of pads shipped ..So $118 for the bike

Stephan 04-12-2017 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 401437)
Seems Zcoo (a DID corp offshoot) makes different pad compounds
EX Series (Ceramic Sintered) for Sprint race
-The more you grip The braking lever, The more braking come in to force.
EX series provide the best controllability.
-Less damage to the disc rotor.
-Little effect at high temperature.
-Continuous stable braking force.
-Less deterioration by the repetition of heat and cold
-All weather
EX-C Series (Ceramic Sintered) for Endurance race and Wave disc rotor
-High durability against wave shaped disc rotors (twice more than EX series)
-Less damage to the disc rotor
-High braking force from the early stages of braking
-High controllability by easy braking release
-All weather

Which one are you using?
I "think" the N-004 pads are correct for my F41 calipers...can you confirm?

Not asked, but as a fresh buyer ... :)

EX nomal rotors, EXC wave rotors, there should be not much difference, I have EX. NOO4 are correct, the same for my CBR954 calipers.

Link where I bought ...
http://m.ebay.com/itm/4-PASTIGLIE-AN...%257Ciid%253A6