Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

What is the loudest exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:34 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What is the loudest exhaust?

Your right I'm a dirty little ***** who needs to be spanked!! (I always forget to keep these things to myself!)
Old 08-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Originally Posted by Retro";p=&quot
Guarantee me that you have never done any of those, and I'll at least listen to you lecture me on how I should customize my bike.
I've never stuck a gun in my mouth and pulled the trigger...so does that make me an expert to advise against it?

I think you have your logic backwards. Relevant, useful advice is usually sourced from those who have direct experience regarding the topic. I'd trust Evel Knievel's advice to not try to jump the Grand Canyon on a rocket-propelled motorcycle. Why? Because he tried and failed. If Joe Squid decided to offer advice on not jumping the Grand Canyon, it would just be so much B.S., like a lot of the blather that gets posted by naive, bigmouth kids on these forums.

Intentionally running an obnoxiously loud exhaust makes you a public nuisance. If the majority opinion on this forum is that being an attention ***** is good, louder is better, and irresponsible, inconsiderate behavior on public roads is virtuous, then I'm definitely on the WRONG forum. Installing a free-flowing exhaust to gain power and lose weight is good, within reason. Installing a specific exhaust for the sole purpose of creating as much noise as possible is tantamount to slapping your community in the face. Yes, you are part of a community. If you expect your neighbor to be considerate enough to not run his chainsaw outside your bedroom window at 3am, maybe it's reasonable for your neighbor to expect you to be considerate to your community when you select an exhaust system for your bike. Unless it really is "all about you." In that case, you're really just an a$$hole. In my line of work, I come across plenty of those sorts. You against the world, right? You're right, everyone else is wrong. No need for you to be a decent, considerate person because your boss is a moron, or your Starbuck's server gave you the wrong order this morning.

Maybe you should aspire to be better than the messed up world around you. Maybe being faster and more agile than everything else on the road should be good enough that you don't also need to be LOUDER. Leave that to the H-D riders, since they have nothing else going for them.

I've ridden faster than the speed limit. I also have a shelf full of trophies. Most of what's on your list, Retro, is pure squid-bait. Valentino Rossi isn't famous for his wheelies or his loud exhaust. He's famous for being really, really fast. Put him on a Superhawk with a stock exhaust and he'd still be faster than you or me, regardless of how loud our exhausts may be. And I'm certain he'd manage to avoid the "blue-hairs" along the way, just fine.

The "loud pipes save lives" argument is tired. It's been disproven time and again. Maybe I'm just too educated to relate. I have a wall full of diplomas, a successful business, and 16 years of street-riding experience. My opinion is relevant. And my "lectures" are made at Universities and seminar halls for $5000 a pop, not for free on motorcycle forums...and especially not for the benefit of knuckleheads who will never look beyond their narrow scope of the world.

Let's try simplifying this; your loud exhaust does nothing more than **** PEOPLE OFF! Agitating the police, your neighbors, and your community is not doing yourself, and other motorcyclists in general, any favors. But you keep telling yourself you don't need to justify your choice of pipes to anybody. No man is an island. If you're so convinced that your loud exhaust is gonna finger you as a "cool rebel against authoritarianism," you go right ahead and let your ears bleed. The intelligent among us will continue to look on and laugh at your adolescent reasoning. You're a little fish in a big pond...if annoying the big fish with your loud motorcycle is the best you can do, you deserve pity, not lectures.

Hope I haven't offended. This is all tongue-in-cheek. No, really... 8)
Old 08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
MotoGP

All of your points are valid v2, but I will have to disagree with the loud pipes not saving lives. When I'm around town I ride at a lower rpm than when I'm in an isolated area as to not **** off my neighbors and have never received any noise related tickets or complaints. However if I see someone who is not paying attention, i.e. doesn't see me or care to look at me I will drop down a gear or two and let them KNOW I'm here. It has saved my life more then once, I know that for a fact as the unknowing driver turns thier head in shock that they almost killed me! I like to make eye contact with the person in the pod and if that's the only way they'll look so be it.

Oh and if Rossi lived down here I think he'd want to be noticed as well. It's more dangerous than you think, I got hit by a 87 year old guy in a parking lot walking. If they don't see someone walking what makes you think they will see or care about a slighty speeding motorcycle.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:59 AM
MotoGP

Oh by the way, I'm still laughing at your opening!!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thats the 2nd flame I've seen on this forum since it started.

Pretty good record so far.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Definitely not trying to start a flame war. Differing opinions are good, that's why we're here.

Maybe I should clarify my point; custom paint, chrome, anodizing, carbon fiber...it's all very pretty, and I'm all for it. Make your bike as visually attractive as you want, you'll get nothing but two thumbs up from me. But bling bling has never hurt anybody or their neighbor. Noise pollution HAS. Unnecessarily loud exhausts invade the serenity of others, without their permission. That is unacceptable. Loud bike exhausts are no better than the thunderwagons rolling down the street, rattling windows and forcing bystanders to hear the noise blasting from their speakers. Nobody on this planet is entitled to invade my quiet existence via audio assault. Forcing me to hear unsolicited noise is an assault on my person. There is enough sound pollution that we don't have control over, intentionally creating more noise than is necessary is a direct threat to my well-being. If you want to don a set of earphones and rupture your eardrums with high-volume noise, be my guest...but don't think you're ENTITLED to disturb me.

There are many urban areas that are banning smoking in public areas, because smokers are NOT ENTITLED to disturb non-smokers with their cigarettes. If people keep blasting their car stereos, and installing unnecessarily loud pipes on their motorcycles, what do you think will get banned next? Why do you think the AMA (who constantly fights for our rights to continue to operate motorcycles on public roads) is boistrously opposed to loud pipes on motorcycles? Think about that...
Old 08-16-2005, 12:09 PM
SuperSport

I agree with what your saying but one person's "obnoxious" is another persons music. I'm sure the majority of the public would consider ANY of the aftermarket pipes obnoxious but because we are used to it we may only consider a few of the makes that way, decibles, tone..

I don't have enough experience to say whether louder saves lives but living next to town that has mostly old people I can say that a lot of them really are majorly clued out, deaf, blind, ignorant and some even EXTREMELY aggresive ie: run you off the road, tail gate, yell, spray you with windshield washers, etc.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:21 PM
MotoGP

Listen I'm in no means trying to start a war either but with that said, I feel the same about the smoking issue as the loud pipes. Who the f are they to tell smokers they can't smoke outside. I don't smoke and love the new nosmoking in resturat laws here in S. Fla. hell I voted for it! but I'm not going to tell someone they can't smoke. They are even trying to take smoking out of cars in N.J. can you believe that!! What's next are the police going to start Knoking on doors to see if your smoking in your own house!! I thought this was the U.S.A. where minorities had rights too, oh that's right Bush and the right wing are in power. But let's not get on politics that would start s whole other issue.

Back to the noise issue, if my intrusion on your quiet for about 5 seconds on public roads is too much maybe we should ban tractor trailers as well. I know for sure they are louder than my hawk. Oh and how about airplanes they've been crashing too much lately anyway we'll get rid of them to. But seriously thanks for the highmount pipes V2 they did quiet me down a little anyway.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 PM
MotoGP

Oh, and even with the standard mount pipes which are larger diameter and definetly louder we're still not as loud as Harely's. The last time I was at the track they kicked a Buell off for noise!! All he had was a race slipon and it was above AMA race noise limits!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

You get that in Canada too!! I thought it was just all you Canadians down here that do that. Just kidding of course but hey could you get a message out for me. STOP WEARING THOSE DAMN SPEEDO'S IF YOUR OVER 200 LBS. Not too sure about metric conversion.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Squid

v2weapon
Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
What's next are the police going to start Knoking on doors to see if your smoking in your own house!!
What's next is the Supreme Court is going to expand the laws of Emminent Domain to allow the government to seize your property so they can sell it to a corporation...oh, wait, they already did that. Let's think about this for a minute. The United States was founded on inalienable property ownership rights. Now the Supreme Court has taken that away. Keep drawing negative attention to yourself, as a loud motorcyclist on public roads, and watch the rights that you take for granted go away. 180 hp liter bikes with screaming exhaust systems? All it takes is a Bill, and enough furious Senators and Congressmen who live next to a loud motorcyclist to make street bikes illegal. Think it can't happen? Two words: Emminent Domain. If they can take away our "inalienable" property ownership rights, they can make you a criminal for riding a motorcycle on the street. Good luck arguing the benefits of loud pipes then.

Go ahead, keep making noise. Keep rationalizing it by pointing to Harley riders. No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood. Your neighbors write letters to their Congressmen. Your Congressmen are your neighbors. Your Congressmen write and endorse Bills, which become laws. We are a nation of activists, and there's no shortage of motorcycle-haters out there. Why? Because we're loud and reckless. We crash and drive up insurance rates. We install loud race pipes because we "don't think there's any reason for anyone to feel they need to justify what pipes they put on their bike." How clever. The only thing that has kept street bikes legal in the US this long is H-D, and the SEC is about to hurt them bad for their trading and executive compensation transgressions. One day H-D won't have a strong enough lobby, lawmakers will be fed up with motorcyclists abusing the system, and that will be that. I have a library of law books filled with statutes that were written by men fed up with thugs and hooligans getting away with being thugs and hooligans. Now they're criminals. Welcome to America. They can take your house...but they can't take away your loud motorcycle?

Sure, keep believing that...while you're at it, grill up a couple peanut butter and banana sandwiches for Elvis. He'll be right over...

Americans in general think they're entitled to do basically anything they want...until they're punished for it. Then they cry ignorance and expect mercy. You reep what you sow. Consider the consequences first, then decide if the action is worth it. Whip out the credit card, order up those D&D pipes. You just bought $700 worth of carbon-fiber public angst toward the entire motorcycling community. Have a nice day.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 PM
MotoGP

You are absolutly correct and when they do ban motorcycles of all kinds(not just street bikes) I will move to where my frozen friend North lives!! Nah it's just too damn cold maybe Australia I hear it's nice there. Or somewhere else where they don't trample over my civil rights. Where people don't spend the time and effort to have the fun police get you! Anybody Know where that is?

Oh and you had to chime in with the imment domain thing, I was just having fun before now you got me pissed off!!! Talk about fascist B.S. arrrrgggg!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:06 PM
SuperSport

Its actually pretty nice where I live other than the rain in the winter instead of snow its the most temperate place in Canada. The little bay where my parents live not far from me is the only known place in Canada where humming birds live year round. :P

whoopee
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Squid

Retro
Wow....now isn't this fun? Spirited discussion beyond the typical accessorizing banter.

V2...I take your points seriously, don't think I don't. But be careful about your generalizations about people before you know your audience.

I, too, have an advanced education, diplomas on the wall (one of them from law school), and I have sat on City Councils that have drafted nuisance laws. My books are sold world-wide, so don't think that just because you lecture for a living, your opinions are any better than anyone else....unless you know who you're talking to. Everyone has a right to their opinion and to not be lumped into categories via generalizations as uneducated a$$holes and attention ****** just because they do something you disagree with.

"Intentionally running an obnoxiously loud exhaust makes you a public nuisance."

I know what a nuisance is and, trust me, a set of D&D pipes on a SuperHawk isn't going to constitute a public nuisance unless there is something else going along with it (e.g. revving pipes unnecessarily, racing, acting like a ****, etc...) Don't make the mistake that assuming that everyone who rides with louder than stock pipes is doing so irresponsibly. Believe it or not, some of us just like the tone and don't like to run around revving them at every chance we get.

"The "loud pipes save lives" argument is tired. "

It may be tired, but I have yet to see hard proof that is not true. Everyone talks about how it has been disproven and how it only affects people behind you, but that argument is incredibly flawed because it assumes that the people in front of you were never behind you. If you ride faster than everyone at all times, then the argument doesn't hold water (and we need to start a discussion on excessive speed). If you ride in traffic, however, the argument is very valid because it makes people more aware of you. Show me the hard proof and I'll read it carefully and consider altering my pov.

I ride my SH back and forth to work on a busy highway every day and believe me, my pipes have saved my life on more than one occasion. Just last week a lady started coming into my lane and rather than hitting the horn, I revved my engine and guess what....she woke up and stopped coming into my lane. Without the D&Ds, I'm not sure that would have been the result and the stock Honda horns are so wimpy, I certainly wouldn't rely on it. So....there's one case of loud pipes saving lives. Oh yeah...she was at 2 O'clock and not behind me. There's my hard proof.

Your damage to society argument is a much strong argument. Sure, there are a bunch of ***** out there that rev their pipes at 3am. But does that mean that everyone who owns louder than stock pipes does that??? Absolutely not. That would be like stating that everyone who owns a gun wants to put it in their mouth and pull the trigger. Just because they can, doesn't mean their not smart enough not to.

I live on a cul-de-sac and take into account my neighbors when I ride my SH. I have yet to hear a complaint from anyone and all of the families in my neighborhood are close friends. Why don't they complain? Because I'm not a jerk about my pipes.

As I said in my first post, the thing I love about the D&Ds is they bring out the best sound of the SH's single-crank V-Twin. You do realize that Honda doesn't manufacture the SH for speed or power...right? The single-pin crankshaft is inferior to any equally-sized, dual-pin motor in producing power and/or top speed. So why do you think Honda still makes the single-pin V-Twin?? Torque and Sound.

Those "Harley guys" you complain about are one of the main reasons that the SH still has a single-pin crank and still has such a beautiful tone. The fact that sound sells motorcycles is not lost on Honda, believe me. Just look to the ACE 1100 which was built around the single-pin crank just to compete with Harley's cruisers. In fact, the sound was so good, that H-D sued Honda and tried to obtain a soundmark on the single-pin V-Twin sound. If sound didn't sell bikes, the single-pin crank would be long gone.

Okay...I'm going to wind up this lecture now

Final thoughts:

Like guns, loud pipes are not inherently bad. It's what you do with them that is problematic. If someone wants to own loud pipes, don't automatically classify them as a squid who wants to show off and act like an @ss.

Louder than stock pipes can save lives, depending how how your ride, where you ride, etc...Just like custom paint, shiny chrome, and fancy helmets, they catch the attention of the people around you, which makes them more aware of you.

Single-pin Honda 996 engine + D&D pipes = Great sound!!

Ride safe!
Old 08-16-2005, 05:51 PM
MotoGP

My point exactly, it's not like I'm Tommy Chong in Next Movie, revving my engine at my nieghbors house. As I said, in rural areas I ride respectably at lower rpm's then when I'm in the open.
V2, I know you've been on the track before. I don't know about you but the first time I got passed without my mirrors it scared the crap out of me because it had stock cans and I couldn't hear him. But with race exhaust I knew when someone was comming. That was my first time btw, I don't get passed in novice anymore. I'd rather be the fastest novice than the slowest intermediate but I might have to move up soon.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Squid

Retro
BTW....just to lighten things up a bit and since it's somewhat on topic (motorcycle awareness), anyone seen the new Motorcycle Awareness commercial?

http://www.splicehere.tv/player.php?...=spotsoffline2

Ride safe!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:25 PM
MotoGP

That's pretty funny.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Wow, this thread lit up while I was working last night. Good discussion. Thanks to all for not taking any of this personally. Every controversial topic has two sides. Thanks for the intelligent debate.

As I said, I currently have TBR carbon fiber low-mounts, so I totally understand the difference between those who ride responsibly and considerately, and the attention ******. Unfortunately, it only takes a few bad apples to drag all motorcyclists through the mud. Rather than be lumped in with those bad apples, I'll park my VTR until I can get some quiet pipes on it. The A/C in my Porsche works great, it's relatively quiet, and I don't seem to have a problem with blue-hairs trying to run me off the road.

Yes, the VTR sounds good, as do all properly engineered V-twins. (I don't include H-Ds in that category.) I demoed an RC-51 last month, and with the OEM cans it sounded great to me, while I was riding it. When I was standing on the curb and the salesman rode by on it, it was whisper quiet and totally unobtrusive. Which told me one thing; most folks install louder exhaust for the show-off appeal, not because they can't hear it from the rider's seat. I've never ridden a Superhawk with stock cans, but I suspect it's about the same. And how ironic is it that Honda goes to such great engineering lengths to minimize NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) on their road bikes, only to have the consumer yank the mufflers and install something like D&Ds. You'd think, with such quiet factory mufflers, the EPA and Honda would recognize the eminent danger the rider of such a quiet bike would be in. It's amazing that riders of new bikes survive long enough to install some loud pipes. You'd think within a week he'd be creamed by the oblivious idiots on the deadly gauntlet he must ride to work. I don't get it...maybe I don't read the obituaries closely enough. There must be scores of obits that read "...bought a new, quiet motorcycle. Killed by an 83 year old woman who was talking on her cell phone and applying makeup, while she sped down the interstate at 90 mph in her Hummer H2. If only he'd been running straight pipes, he'd be alive today..."

At the end of the day, regardless of where I sit on the socio-economic scale, it's not for me to dictate to anyone how loud their bike is. But I feel it's my duty, as a citizen, to highlight the consequences, to ALL motorcyclists, of infuriating the public at large with loud pipes, stunts, and unreasonably high speeds. Contemporary Americans almost universally refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. I've been working this job for many years now, and every day I hold out hope that I'll come across the honorable, noble, responsible citizen that I know MUST be out there...and every day I'm disappointed yet again. In the end I'm left with the realization that citizens, as individuals, have lost their integrity. Everyone is looking out for number one, let the neighbors be damned. The many bad apples who run loud pipes and show their *** are giving all riders a black eye. Since they won't take responsibility for themselves, lawmakers will...and we'll all suffer for it.

Loud pipes may have saved your life yesterday, but quiet pipes will save the sport of motorcycling tomorrow. Catch-22? Maybe...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:53 AM
MotoGP

Again a valid argument but, I will give you a free weekend in sunny S.Fla, (minus trasportaion of course), so you can walk, oh sorry, ride a mile in my shoes. I have been to Tenn. more than a few times and from what I've expierenced drivers there are much more curtious in general and to motorcycle specifically. Think what you want, but when it comes to my children having a father at the end of my ride, I will make myself known by any means possible. This also includes an obscene amount of lights as well, next you'll be telling me that's visual polution!

I know I could quit ridding all together and my kids wouldn't have to worry and then again I could die in my gas guzzling queit pickup truck.
Oh and I did try to stop ridding it lasted about 2 years until I almost commited myself. Ridding is my therapy it lets me not think about the pressing issues of the day so I can clear my mind. After a good ride I find it easier to come up with solutions to daily life issues.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
I think we're missing the point of the original post. His buddies bikes are louder than his and that makes him feel bad. So he wants to be louder than them, so he can feel good.

But then, won't they feel bad?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:50 AM
MotoGP

AHH, it's all about feelings. Come on evrybody group hug.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Again a valid argument but, I will give you a free weekend in sunny S.Fla, (minus trasportaion of course), so you can walk, oh sorry, ride a mile in my shoes. I have been to Tenn. more than a few times and from what I've expierenced drivers there are much more curtious in general and to motorcycle specifically. Think what you want, but when it comes to my children having a father at the end of my ride, I will make myself known by any means possible. This also includes an obscene amount of lights as well, next you'll be telling me that's visual polution!

I know I could quit ridding all together and my kids wouldn't have to worry and then again I could die in my gas guzzling queit pickup truck.
Oh and I did try to stop ridding it lasted about 2 years until I almost commited myself. Ridding is my therapy it lets me not think about the pressing issues of the day so I can clear my mind. After a good ride I find it easier to come up with solutions to daily life issues.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. People are people and interstates are interstates. Have you considered the possibility that motorists show you no respect because you're just another loud motorcycle, and that pisses them off? Or maybe you need to bone up on your pro-active defensive driving tactics. If you're complacent enough to get hit by a car in a parking lot, the problem may not be the other drivers. There's an old saying: "The only thing common to all your bad relationships is YOU." That was an epiphany after my second divorce...

I lived in Jax and Panama City for many years. Neither me nor any of my riding buddies felt the need to have loud exhausts on our bikes. We all survived just fine. If you allow yourself to get hemmed into a spot where you have nowhere to go if the blue-hair next to you changes lanes, it's on you. My best friend is an MSF instructor, and I occasionally help out with his weekend classes. I get to hear him preach this stuff over and over. It's common sense to me, but today common sense ain't so common.

Talk to anybody who carries a weapon as part of their job (like me). Training and hard experience teaches one quickly that avoidance is always better than confrontation. This applies to riding a motorcycle in dense (pun intended) traffic, also. If you had the opportunity to avoid getting painted into a corner, and you allowed it to happen anyway, chances are high that bad things will happen. Loud pipes, or a loud gunshot, may save your *** at the last minute, but why did you let it go so far? Could you have slowed down, taken a different approach, not been so aggressive? Probably yes. Better riding skills, not a loud exhaust, will probably improve your chances of survival in the future. Whether it's carrying a weapon, or riding a motorycle, greater awareness and more willingness to back off and AVOID the situation may save your life, or somebody else's. If you haven't got it into your head by now to assume that NOBODY on the road can see you, you haven't been riding long. You're using your loud exhaust as an emergency flare, when all you really need is more awareness and more patience. And don't try to argue that I wasn't there, so I don't know. I have been there. I've been that impatient, aggressive rider...overloaded on testosterone and too much horsepower between my legs. And I had lots of close calls.

Then one day I got my head straight. I stopped continuously fighting traffic and started flowing with it. I stopped riding people's bumpers. I stopped hogging the left lane. I stopped riding in people's blind spots, and directly beside them for extended times. I stopped riding directly between two vehicles. I stopped flying through intersections. I stopped exceeding the closing-speed capability of my brakes while passing slower vehicles. I started letting aggressive drivers go by. I stopped street racing. And since then I haven't had a single close call. Not one. And I didn't need a loud exhaust to do it.

None of this is new territory to me. And BTW, there are a ton of links on the AMA website to show research debunking the "loud pipes save lives" myth. In reality, better riding skills save lives.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:35 AM
MotoGP

In my 19 years ridding a motorcycle on the road,(not including the extra 10 on dirt), I have, from ridding skill alone, avoided numerous life threatenig situations from other bad drivers. I agree and follow most of your "safe" ridding techniques and I keep my racing to the track. But I will and do use every means at my disposal to be recognized on the roads. Oh, and I have taken the rider saftey course so maybe that's not the problem.

As for being hit in the parking lot walking. I don't know about you, but I certainly didn't expect someone who was looking straight at me, at a stop sign and was stopped, to hit the gas as I was stepping on to the sidewalk. He hit my back foot as I was getting up, and no, Iwasn't j walking it was a cross walk. You know what sometimes you just don't see every a##hole comming! Why all the anger and accusation anyway, are we not getting any lately?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
MotoGP

Oh and one more thing, there are plenty of names in the obits that were, "safe, qualified, experienced, riders" that took the courses and rode the right way. As I said sometimes you just don't see the a##hole comming. I have a friend that lost his brother because a drunk came around a blind corner on the wrong side and he was going under the speed limit on the far right side of the road. In that situation nothing (including loud pipes), will save you.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:59 AM
SuperSport

We lose about 1 per week around here.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, we're breaking records around here and the brilliant polititions are just now figuring out it might have something to do with repealling the helmet laws. Hmmm, so they pay a group of people millions to figure out why there's been such a high increase of fatal motorcycle accidents. Look it just happens to coincide with the helmet law what a coincident!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:16 PM
MotoGP

So if you do happen to live where ther's no helmet law FYI national goverment is using Fla. for thier research. So if you do ride without a helmet,
(stupid), enjoy it while you can because it's noy going to last long.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by v2weapon";p=&quot
I demoed an RC-51 last month, and with the OEM cans it sounded great to me, while I was riding it.

<snip>

I've never ridden a Superhawk with stock cans, but I suspect it's about the same. .
I had stock pipes on my original 98 and now have rc51 pipes on my second 98. The rc's sound better as they are deeper and don't have that "whiff whiff" sound of stockers. I now have a partial bafflectomy on the rc's (approx 3/4 inch rod punch through the final chamber) that, IMO, gives me the right balance. They really sound great on decelleration.....

Background: Between both 98's, I've had stock, stock bafflectomy, RC51 bafflectomy, staintune with & w/o spuds, jardine highmounts, and 2-bros titanium high mounts. Out of all of those, I liked the stock VTR bafflectomied pipes the most.

Winter project: I have a set of carbon fiber D&D's cans laying around that I'm going to mate with high mounts I'm having fab'ed up locally. Pure CF cans take the "edge" off the bark and reduce the harshness. It's hard to describe. CF cans can be loud yet not sound so offensive if that makes sense.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Squid

v2weapon
Why all the anger and accusation anyway, are we not getting any lately?
No anger, no accusations, just observations. As I said earlier, none of this is personal. We're intelligent adults debating a topic, nothing more.

"In that situation nothing (including loud pipes), will save you." I think you just made my point, sir.

After all this debate, after I've laid out many valid points of argument based on research, facts, and experience, your reply is basically to put your fingers in your ears and yell "LALALALALALALA!"
You think it's ok to assault someone, as long as it's only for 5 seconds or so (I won't even begin to describe the amount of damage I can inflict in 5 seconds).
You get insulted at the mere mention of the possibility that your riding skills may need improving (everyone could use improvement, myself included) or that some accidents are avoidable with greater awareness (the parking lot incident).
You're convinced that all of the research done by the AMA is wrong, and you are right, because someone failed to plow you after you revved your engine.
You believe in freedom of choice, but when someone chooses to not wear a helmet and dies, you're the first to say it's a bad idea to give them that choice.
Oh, and you would rather move to Canada than admit that loud pipes have a negative social impact on the motorcycling community. Have I summed that up correctly?

I'll admit, I had pretty low expectations for this little exchange, but this has floored me. Definitely entertaining, unproductive, and absolutely hilarious. I'd be better off trying to convince the grass to stop growing. You know how to make me laugh, and this takes the prize. One day I'll have to drop by while I'm down that way and have a beer. Conversation for the ages...

I love this forum.

Back to work, I'm off to find a deadbeat dad.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Squid

v2weapon
BTW, I have a buddy in Michigan named Mike who is also a walking paradox. One of my favorite friends to visit, because he keeps me rolling with his quirky hypocrisies. I'm a great fan of irony and dark humor. I've lost several investigators because they didn't have the stomach for this work. Most of it I find hysterically funny. Some of it...I don't.

Back to work...

Quick Reply: What is the loudest exhaust?