Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

What is the loudest exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah
What is the loudest exhaust?

Two of my friends have RC51s with Deovinici exhausts and are loud as can be, but my questions is what is the loudest exhaust for the SH?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
My guess would be D&D. I haven't tried other exhausts, but a lot of my friends have D&D exhausts, and theirs are obnoxiously loud.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah
excellent.......

I want to drown out those damn RC51's
Old 02-18-2005, 06:52 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What is the loudest exhaust?

I had the older 2bros carbon fiber system and they were really loud as they were shorter that the new systems they have now.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Back Marker

Random

I'll be doing a test this weekend, and recording sound clips.

Stock header pipes 2-Bro's slip ons
Stock header pipes D&D Slips Ons
Stock header pipes Yosh Ti Slip Ons
Stock header pipes D&D "shorty" Megaphone Race Exhaust
2-Bro's Header Pipes 2-Bro's slip ons
2-Bro's Header Pipes D&D Slips Ons
2-Bro's Header Pipes Yosh Ti Slip Ons
2-Bro's Header Pipes D&D "shorty" Megaphone Race Exhaust
D&D Race Header D&D "shorty" Megaphone Race Exhaust

If I can get the other slips ons to mate up the the D&D Race Header, I'll give it a shot, but I don't know if it will work. The D&D Race header is desgned to ONLY work with the D&D "shorty" Megaphone Race Exhaust. I'm Also not 100% sure I can get the "Shorty" exhaust to mate up to the stock or 2-bro's header, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I'll have photos, and sound clips. But the Sound clips are limited to idle and "free rev" only.

I can tell you that the D&D Race Header and D&D "shorty" megaphone Race exahust will be the loudest. It's also the UGLIEST setup.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the loudest exhaust - D&D has the loudest and most annoying exhaust. All of there pipes are that way.

If you are looking for pipes that sound good and wont get ya pulled over - look at jardines and yosh

Microns are louder but not obnoxiously, they sound good
Erion are wake the neighbors loud - but they sound nice. A bit too loud to me.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:23 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

My Vance and Hine's S4's sound really sweet above 4k rpm . Those and the Yoshimura are built with a similar design muffler core .

Most of the others are glass packs . The larger the ID and shorter overall length , the louder generally , albeit I'm new to the SH scene have have only heard a few mufflers .

Dooes anyone have any info on these K-Factory mufflers ?

http://vtr1000.free.fr/pots/k-factory.jpg
Old 02-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah
I am going to go with the race jardines
Old 02-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

D&D Show-and-Go slip-ons are loud and are not for those who feel embarrased by setting-off car alarms.

But, I love them--wouldn't even switch to GPR titanium high-mounts, though I know GPRs are much nicer cans than D&Ds and are still plenty loud.

The polish and lustre of D&D Show-and-Go also holds-up very nicely through time, which can't be said for Micron polished cans, which require frequent polishing, only to let you down after a few years. Though they are very pretty out of the box and the build-quality seems to be superb, in my experience, Micron polished aluminum slip-ons do not hold-up nearly as well as D&D Show-and-Go polished aluminum slip-ons do.

(Sounds all anti-Micron, I know, but I used to cuss my comparatively wimpy-sounding Micron slip-ons for being a continual pain in my polishing elbow, only to pit slightly then become slightly hazy, even though they were only two-and-a-half years old when I polished them for the last time and sold them.)

By the way, D&D cans are arguably "obnoxious" when mounted on in-line fours--a common knock--, but, IMO, they are Marshall-guitar-amplifier-cool when mounted on a VTR. And, if I start feeling a bit guilty about their attention-grabbing dB-level, I rationalize it all by bringing to mind all of those Harleys out there with straight pipes--the truly obnoxious V-twins.)

cheers,
--HotStreet
Old 02-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

To qualify my above message, in fairness to those who prefer stealth to being a spectacle, I should note here that I respect people's choice to be as stealthy as they like. (One of my favorite motorcycles of all time, the '91-'02 Honda Nighthawk CB750 with DOT-approved exhaust, is mondo-cool, without being mondo-loud.)

cheers,
HotStreetVTR
Old 02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Microns and one side is kinda hazy compared to the other. I guess I need to get some of that fancy Mothers Billet metal polish.

They also make a kooky whistley/whirry noise.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:33 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

sanitune?

Funny name for staintune or a typo?

Anyway, no way these are even in the "loudest" ballpark. Between my two 98's, I've had stock, new staintune low, new jardine highmounts, stock baffletomies, and very used 2 bros Ti highmounts. The ti and jardines tie for loudest followed by the staintune open, bafflectomied, staintune with restrictors, and then stock.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by divingindaytona";p=&quot
What is the loudest exhaust - D&D has the loudest and most annoying exhaust. All of there pipes are that way.
for inline 4s maybe, but on a twin, D+Ds actually sound really good.

check out an SH with D+Ds, or an aircooled ducati(D+D are very popular with the aircolled ducati crowd).
Old 05-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Squid

bryantmvtr

Originally Posted by haueter";p=&quot
I just put TBR low mount C-5's on my 05' Hawk and I have to admit they sound good. I think they are plenty loud and they yielded a 5.5 hp gain and 7 ft. lbs. I have not jetted the bike yet, but the goods should arrive today or tomorrow. I am 23 and enjoy noise and I think these cans are well rounded lousd when you wnat them to be with a big block like drone when tooling around. JMO.
i agree.... i have had newer circle two bro's, just the slip on's, and they are alright, but the older c-d aluminums are just right for me, not annoying loud, but deep, almost v-8 sounding. sweet sound, and the loudest bike of anybody i know in my small *** town.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Squid

bryantmvtr

Originally Posted by haueter";p=&quot
I just put TBR low mount C-5's on my 05' Hawk and I have to admit they sound good. I think they are plenty loud and they yielded a 5.5 hp gain and 7 ft. lbs. I have not jetted the bike yet, but the goods should arrive today or tomorrow. I am 23 and enjoy noise and I think these cans are well rounded lousd when you wnat them to be with a big block like drone when tooling around. JMO.
i agree.... i have had newer circle two bro's, just the slip on's, and they are alright, but the older c-d aluminums are just right for me, not annoying loud, but deep, almost v-8 sounding. sweet sound, and the loudest bike of anybody i know in my small *** town.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Back Marker

thegreep

Forget about the cans, you want loud just unbolt and remove your current exhaust. May not run the best, but it will be louder than you will be able to stand. . .
Old 05-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Squid

Pachucos
My D & D's are loud. I measured them the other day. 84 Decibels at Idle. and with just a rap on the throttle it went to 100 decibels. Imagine what it is in the power band.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Squid

v2weapon

Since the Jardine system on the track 'hawk I just adopted is thrashed, I've been researching what to replace it with. D&D has a vid clip of an RC51 on the dyno with their pipes. One word...orgasmic. I'm not a fan of obnoxious noise, thus my distaste for D&D pipes on I-4s...they're like nails on a chaulkboard to me. But on a twin they're just throaty enough to make you disassociate the words "Honda" and "appliance." Soulful, with some rough edges. My decision is made, D&D carbon-fiber slip ons will be bolted on mine in the next week or two. Adam
Old 05-24-2005, 02:09 PM
SuperSport

If the TBR aluminum oval cans sound ANYTHING like the single one on my buddy's SV650 then you should definitely check em out. It has a very deep thump to it, as they said above, like a big block to a small block.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Squid

Retro
Another vote for the D&Ds. They really bring out the rumble in the V-Twin. I bought my SH used and it had the D&Ds on it already. When I heard it started up for the first time, I knew I was keeping the pipes

Ride safe!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:34 PM
SuperSport

My riding buddy has D&D's. They are a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Even though they sound totally awesome he's going to change them. He cringes every time he comes home at night and has to wear custom ear plugs on rides or he goes insane.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Superstock

kmm996

I agree with Natedog. It's the type of loud you're looking for. I run D&D's. They really bring out the deep loud rumble of the engine. You can hear it from a block away. They have a sound all their own. Plus the Harley guys look when you go by because it's a sport bike that rumbles louder than their's. So mark another vote for D&D.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Squid

v2weapon
You could always do like the Harley guys do...take the cans off and run straight pipes. Who cares if it runs like crap? They certainly don't. It's all about the noise.

The Harley guys pay plenty of attention when I blow past them, regardless of the bloody racket that may or may not be coming from my ride. I thought D&Ds were what I wanted until I heard a set in person. I have TBRs now, and they're too damn loud. I'll be installing a set of OEM RC-51 mufflers soon. Nowadays everybody wants to be an ATTENTION *****. When puberty is over and maturity sets in (which never happens for some guys), responsible adults realize that the world would be a much better place if all the peacocks would learn how to be pretty and STFU.

The VTR sounds nice...but maybe my neighbors should be able to enjoy a quiet afternoon picnic without suffering hearing trauma because I'm an attention ***** who is convinced it's all about me.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:39 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that I'm not a *****, but I DO have a good reason to have 2bros that really are a little too loud. I have to deal with something alot of you don't. Invasion of the blue haired people!! I have a huge population of old folks down here and I want them to hear and see me. Thats why I got one of the loudest exaust systems on the market. Truth is I'd rather have something a little quiter but I fear for my life and I NEED that extra attention, and not just for my inflated ego.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Squid

Retro
I don't think there's any reason for anyone to feel they need to justify what pipes they put on their bike. Some like it loud, some like it quiet. Some like stock paint, some like custom paint. Some like to ride it on one-wheel at 140 mph, some like to live (oh wait...did I say that out loud??)

Face it, we're all attention ****** in one way or another. Whether it's the color of our bike, the style, the pipes, the undertail kit, the $400 helmet with custom graphics, or just bragging about how fast we go or how easily we can drag our knees....

Someone can lecture me about what pipes to put on my bike when they can guarantee me that:

1) They have never ridden their bike beyond the speed limit to impress someone or to be able to tell others how fast they have ridden

2) They have never ridden their bike beyond their comfort levels while riding in a group just to be able to keep up with the group

3) They have never customized a bike beyond stock to make it look more "cool"

4) They have never had their bike on 1 wheel in front of other people

5) They have never bragged about their bike to other people

6) They have never blipped the throttle to get someone's attention

The list goes on and on and on.....

Guarantee me that you have never done any of those, and I'll at least listen to you lecture me on how I should customize my bike. Until then, it's just us attention ****** 'round here []

Disclaimer: I haven't posted much around here (read tons, just haven't posted), so you all don't know my style. FYI...some of my responses may appear sardonic, but they are mostly tongue in cheek and aren't meant to offend.

Ride safe!

Quick Reply: What is the loudest exhaust?