Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

turbo question

Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
kneeedragger
Squid

ericb269 is on a distinguished road
turbo question

Alright guys i have searched the threads and seen alot of talk of turbos and I am sure everyone has seen the one on you tube so here goes... does anybody know where i can purchase a turbo kit from. any help would be great
Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
If you plan on fitting it to a VTR you had better figure out a way to keep the crank from letting go first as even naturally aspired engines run into crank breakage problems when output gets near and over 130 hp....
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
kneeedragger
Squid

how much hp does your bike have mlkstr? I have read all the threads and I know everone is concerned with the crank but I was wandering if anyone knew of a kit or who turboed the one on the youtube video.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
No kit exists, and the one on Youtube is custom.. You'd have to do yours totally custom too.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Actually the crank breaks from over rev, but it can handle some more torque. I'm planing to build one but I'm not too loud about it, the R/D is long done, I'm getting a miller TIG this week. I'll talk more when I get the budget to make it going.
I was to use Microsquirt as an EFI controller and I'll blow my engine first lol
Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 PM
kneeedragger
Squid

how much longer till you are done let me know this is somthing I will jump on board with.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually the VTR seems like an ideal candidate for a supercharger instead of a turbo... Less punch, but a linear surge of insane power... Less chance of blowing up the crank as the initial hit on the engine is smaller... Also a lot more controllable, unless you have the turbo set rather low...

I have ridden a RSV Mille with a turbocharger... It was mindblowing... A new CBR feels powerful and revs too the moon... A 145 hp Twin force fed to 220+ hp is a whole other beast... I could cruise in 5'th or 6'th gear at around 200kmh and then twist it and it would loft the front wheel and take of like a bat out of hell...

No if's and butt's about it... It would loft the front in any gear and any speed as long as you where less than half way up the the revband when you whacked the throttle...

I left a R1 way behind on a longish straight and I was sure he let of the throttle, he dropped of very fast and started disappearing in my mirrors... and after the ride he told me that he had the throttle nailed, banging through gears trying to keep up with me... He wasn't even close... And at the time I was more pre-occupied with keeping my weight forward to keep the front reasonably close to the ground as it was wheeling at every gear change...
Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
There are reasons that turbos are not on bikes anymore.

Search some more and you will find the reasons why.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of a supercharger instead of a turbo, but where would it go? The amount of fab work to spin it off the crank would be immense. The delivery would be better though and as long as it was a mild amount of boost you probably wouldn't blow stuff up.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:03 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by ericb269
how much longer till you are done let me know this is somthing I will jump on board with.
Well, I'll start the fab work this spring, money is short, it's a project I could put on hold...again. It includes a lot of major mods to the tank, carbs, new SS exhaust, it's why I still keep this quiet for now, but if I can get the money flowing before mid spring, I'll get into it seriously.
Mine is a track only beast, but may see the road again
Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cornandp
I like the idea of a supercharger instead of a turbo, but where would it go? The amount of fab work to spin it off the crank would be immense. The delivery would be better though and as long as it was a mild amount of boost you probably wouldn't blow stuff up.
It was done on the SH by a guy in Australia.. But he never did an article on it.. It was sold on Ebay a while back.

But from what I recall, he replaced the airbox with a supercharger from a Mini Cooper S and ran a belt down to a custom drive off the crank.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Check out the supercharger kit that this guy developed for the VFR: www.aaperf.com
Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
Check out the supercharger kit that this guy developed for the VFR: www.aaperf.com
In April he is taking my 2002 VFR800 as the guinea pig to start production on the most current VFR's.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually the VTR seems like an ideal candidate for a supercharger instead of a turbo... Less punch, but a linear surge of insane power... Less chance of blowing up the crank as the initial hit on the engine is smaller... Also a lot more controllable, unless you have the turbo set rather low...
I agree with tweety, a supercharger is the way to go, given the engines characteristics.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:23 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

One of the reasons I go turbo, is that cranks and rods are the limiting factor, powering a supercharger from them will yield less power before breakage than an exhaust powered impeller since it will substract power from them.
Beside the fab work goes up like crazy and having a strap running along my leg is not for me.
Could be powered from a cam bore hole, but I doubt that the timing chain is strong enough to handle this much torque.
Turbo's are a lot cheaper than SC's.

But' I agree that the power delivery of a SC would be better suited for a bike, way easier to drive that getting rear ended by boost.
That said, a small turbocharger will spool very quickly and by 4000 rpm and kick in a more controllable zone than a 6000 rpm hit.

Main features are,
Oil supply trough the oil pressure sensor and return trough oil cap, water/alcohol injection as charge cooling, MAP based or Hybrid Alpha-N fueling, gas return, in tank fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel rail (possibly 4 injectors), aluminium airbox, welded up carbs as throttle bodies, Microsquirt EFI controller, Blow off valve, GT22 turbocharger, SS headers with a T3 flange under the seat, undertail exhaust,
nothing simple in there, but I just love building monsters and beat them to death afterward.
For now I'm trying to convert mt old AC buzzbox in a TIG welder, so I'm going to Montreal to buy a few components
Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by gboezio
One of the reasons I go turbo, is that cranks and rods are the limiting factor, powering a supercharger from them will yield less power before breakage than an exhaust powered impeller since it will substract power from them.
Beside the fab work goes up like crazy and having a strap running along my leg is not for me.
Could be powered from a cam bore hole, but I doubt that the timing chain is strong enough to handle this much torque.
Turbo's are a lot cheaper than SC's.

But' I agree that the power delivery of a SC would be better suited for a bike, way easier to drive that getting rear ended by boost.
That said, a small turbocharger will spool very quickly and by 4000 rpm and kick in a more controllable zone than a 6000 rpm hit.
Well I agree with some of what you are saying... but not all...

Nope, turbo's are not cheaper... The components cost about the same, but the bare essentials to (semi)successfully run a turbo is less... The reason I say semi, is that it's when you do the bare essentials that you usually end up bombing an engine...

Yes, a supercharger subtracts some power, but a turbo does to, not as directly apparent though... The supercharger robs power by needing a direct power feed to operate... A turbo is instead a heavier hitter and for the engine to withstand that it's tuned a whole lot different, and it affects A/F ratio below and above the turbo's operating range... Basicly you are with a carb'ed engine out of tune as soon as the turbo hit is over... A injected engine can compensate with mapping...

Another difference is that yes you can run a small turbo and have it spool to mid range, then the fun will be over once you hit top end... Good for hooliganism but not much more... Or a big one that gives you a big nasty top end hit that's fun when you ask for it but detrimental to the engine and could end up with the rear wheel trying to overtake the front...

A SC is linear, it adds a soft small hit once it starts spooling in lower mid range, a nice fat controllable hit in higher mid range, and packs a good size punch once you get close to top end... And if you still feel that you need it it can be just as nasty as a turbo if you run it to redline... But at that point you've had plenty of warning and are still asking for it...

So yeah, on paper the added power is less with an SC before you blow the engine... but the difference is that most of the power you add can be used, and used well... A large portion of the turbo's added power is unusable, and a good portion of it is also robbing you of engine lifetime...

The SC'd mille I rode felt rather sedate and peaceful... Not scary... Until you yanked the throttle hard and it bared the fangs...

I'd rather take a 130-140hp SC VTR than a 150-160hp turbo'ed VTR that's on the edge both in rideability and longevity... But...

I'm still going to watch with great delight and cheer you on...

The world needs a few more crazy people... Makes me feel right at home...
Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by taskmasta
In April he is taking my 2002 VFR800 as the guinea pig to start production on the most current VFR's.
That's awesome! I trust you'll be getting a "good deal" on the kit. I have a 6th gen as well, and I'm really tempted...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Im pretty sure most of ya'll have seen this, but just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ppGiwc0wQ

it gets good about at a 1:40

Last edited by Byrdman; 03-19-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Im pretty sure most of ya'll have seen this, but just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ppGiwc0wQ

it gets good about at a 1:40
LoL, the MPH are SO far off on that.. The Metro (or whatever that blue car is) was keeping up with them at 190mph.. lol

Still a fun vid, but they obviously have the speedo hooked up wrong.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
Speedo is reading kilometres per hour. The little blue car was still doing well though.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:42 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Well I agree with some of what you are saying... but not all...

Nope, turbo's are not cheaper... The components cost about the same, but the bare essentials to (semi)successfully run a turbo is less... The reason I say semi, is that it's when you do the bare essentials that you usually end up bombing an engine...

Yes, a supercharger subtracts some power, but a turbo does to, not as directly apparent though... The supercharger robs power by needing a direct power feed to operate... A turbo is instead a heavier hitter and for the engine to withstand that it's tuned a whole lot different, and it affects A/F ratio below and above the turbo's operating range... Basicly you are with a carb'ed engine out of tune as soon as the turbo hit is over... A injected engine can compensate with mapping...

Another difference is that yes you can run a small turbo and have it spool to mid range, then the fun will be over once you hit top end... Good for hooliganism but not much more... Or a big one that gives you a big nasty top end hit that's fun when you ask for it but detrimental to the engine and could end up with the rear wheel trying to overtake the front...

A SC is linear, it adds a soft small hit once it starts spooling in lower mid range, a nice fat controllable hit in higher mid range, and packs a good size punch once you get close to top end... And if you still feel that you need it it can be just as nasty as a turbo if you run it to redline... But at that point you've had plenty of warning and are still asking for it...

So yeah, on paper the added power is less with an SC before you blow the engine... but the difference is that most of the power you add can be used, and used well... A large portion of the turbo's added power is unusable, and a good portion of it is also robbing you of engine lifetime...

The SC'd mille I rode felt rather sedate and peaceful... Not scary... Until you yanked the throttle hard and it bared the fangs...

I'd rather take a 130-140hp SC VTR than a 150-160hp turbo'ed VTR that's on the edge both in rideability and longevity... But...

I'm still going to watch with great delight and cheer you on...

The world needs a few more crazy people... Makes me feel right at home...
SC and turbos have been debated for a long time by both team
I have a Corvette engine coming in a CJ-7 for an overhaul, the guy is a V8 pulsing exhaust lover, I can't think of putting anything else than a supercharger on his Jeep, either twin screw or centrifugal.
Same goes for a V-twin, the exhaust is just lovely and it's the greatest loss in the turbo process IMO.
I would not try to turbo a carbed vehicle, with just one exception, I made a sketch of a twin carb induction setup for a CRF450, since not much power was available to go EFI.
On a VTR the conversion to EFI is not much of a big deal.
There are many ways to control the power delivery of a turbo, electronic boot controller is the best one, it can smooth the power surge and flatten that boost curve even better than a cenri SC.
The absolute best would be a twin screw SC, but these units are bulky.
I don't think that there is a perfect setup, like all mechanical, it's a world of compromises, but being the engine nut that I am, I'm more than willing to experiment

Oh and just got this
Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear
Speedo is reading kilometres per hour. The little blue car was still doing well though.
Even in KPH that's not right.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by lazn
Even in KPH that's not right.
Trust me... I have seen that bike in person... and more importantly, It blew past me on one wheel while I was flat out in fifth... Those might not be 100% dead on, but they are within the 10% as most speedo's are...

Yes... MC express is a Swedish company... ) And yes they are nuts...
Old 03-20-2009, 10:27 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by gboezio
SC and turbos have been debated for a long time by both team
I have a Corvette engine coming in a CJ-7 for an overhaul, the guy is a V8 pulsing exhaust lover, I can't think of putting anything else than a supercharger on his Jeep, either twin screw or centrifugal.
Same goes for a V-twin, the exhaust is just lovely and it's the greatest loss in the turbo process IMO.
I would not try to turbo a carbed vehicle, with just one exception, I made a sketch of a twin carb induction setup for a CRF450, since not much power was available to go EFI.
On a VTR the conversion to EFI is not much of a big deal.
There are many ways to control the power delivery of a turbo, electronic boot controller is the best one, it can smooth the power surge and flatten that boost curve even better than a cenri SC.
The absolute best would be a twin screw SC, but these units are bulky.
I don't think that there is a perfect setup, like all mechanical, it's a world of compromises, but being the engine nut that I am, I'm more than willing to experiment

Oh and just got this
On a car I'm for both... argue away... I'll take one of each thank you very much...

On a bike though I prefer a SC... sorry... It's just the way I'm wired... And I have tried the nuttiest... A 600 hp something busa that tried to overtake itself while on one wheel... that was fun... Interesting... but fun...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:08 AM
MotoGP

Trust me... I have seen that bike in person... and more importantly, It blew past me on one wheel while I was flat out in fifth... Those might not be 100% dead on, but they are within the 10% as most speedo's are...

Yes... MC express is a Swedish company... ) And yes they are nuts...
Well at around 2:10 they are just keeping up with the blue car (not passing it) and doing ~200kph.. Thats ~120mph. The white lines between the lanes are easily visible, and unless Sweden makes those lines much further apart they should be less distinct.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure it is a wicked fast bike, but the speedo just doesn't seem to jive with what the video shows. Though I guess I could be totally misinterpreting what I am seeing.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:10 PM
MotoGP

Ok... I'm not arguing here.... just clarifying... The blue car is a Audi RS2... A proper fast car on it's own... Not a metro... That car is more than capable of doing ~200kph (actually listed as 262kph on audi's spec...)

As for the lines... Since it's a wide one lane road with solid side lines they are 3 m of line 9 m of gap... (or 10 feet and 30 feet, for you metric challenged...) Dunno how the lines look in the states...

Actually a better way of judging speed is to look at the poles along the road... They are on a straight road of this type 50 m apart... And by a rule of thumb from drivers ed (it's maths actually m/s to kph is a factor of 3.6)... 50m apart means if you pass them at once a second = 180 kph... Looking at the video and the time it's fairly close to one pole/second... sometimes faster sometimes a bit slower... and the speedo goes from 180 something to 200 something... So not too far off... possibly some 5-10% or 5kph or so...

Last edited by Tweety; 03-20-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 PM
MotoGP

Ah gotcha.. I guess our one lane roads around here are not that wide, and that was throwing it all off in my head.

Anywho back to the original issue.. Small turbo, megasquirt EFI and lots of custom piping and you can do it.. It may be cheaper to buy a new bike with more HP that has a existing kit available and turbo that..
Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by lazn
Ah gotcha.. I guess our one lane roads around here are not that wide, and that was throwing it all off in my head.

Anywho back to the original issue.. Small turbo, megasquirt EFI and lots of custom piping and you can do it.. It may be cheaper to buy a new bike with more HP that has a existing kit available and turbo that..
I don't do cheap... or easy... Just stupid, expensive and fun...

And just to prove my point I'm kind of halfway decided on buying a RSV Mille... And if I do, It will go straight into the garage for a teardown and a SC install... Might take it for a spin around town first, might not... (I should never have test ridden that bike...)

Last edited by Tweety; 03-20-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
You're not being stupid, Tweety. Stupid would be knowing your never going to do it, but daydreaming about junk like the Coates spherical valve heads, an RC51 motor and a SH with better suspension & breaks. http://www.coatesengine.com/index.html

Thats stupid. And expensive. Could be fun though.

Quick, somebody give me that number for the supercharger!
Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I don't do cheap... or easy... Just stupid, expensive and fun...

And just to prove my point I'm kind of halfway decided on buying a RSV Mille... And if I do, It will go straight into the garage for a teardown and a SC install... Might take it for a spin around town first, might not... (I should never have test ridden that bike...)
I do cheap, stupid and fun
We can agree that forced induction is fun tough

A RSV SC project sounds like fun, would be interested in the build story.
I'm going back to practice my welds

Last edited by gboezio; 03-20-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbo question