Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Tuning help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Squid

Halfbreed77 is on a distinguished road
Tuning help?

Need some tuning help from you pros.

#1. I get that popping from my stock pipes after I removed the rear baffle. The popping is only on deceleration when the throttle is closed. I like the popping, but is it damaging my engine?

#2. I live in Colorado, about 6000' above sea-level. I assume my bike was already running lean (and low on HP) when I bought it, because it absolutely will not power-wheelie. How do I tell if it is lean without dishing out $$$ for a dyno? Plug color? something like that?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
#1 thats normal.

#2 I would personally take it to a shop. I took mine in thinking it may need some rejetting for altitude. they threw it on the dyno and said I didn't need new jets, all the numbers came up great. I took the bike to Fey Meyers Motorcycle World. Great place, esp. for a dealership.
cost me 80 cash.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
oh, and I'm no pro. I'm sure others will chime in too!

Welcome to the site!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:24 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
the popping is normal. enjoy. if you have stock gearing, you should be able to power up in first, but not quite in second. in first, do about 15-20mph with steady throttle, then back off the gas and then punch it. front end should come up like nuthin.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
1. If your bike still has the a functional PAIR system then this would certainly account for the popping on deceleration. Perfectly normal condition. The opened up exhaust allows you to hear what has been happening all along.
If the PAIR has been disabled then it is an indication of leanness. A little popping in this instance will not have a negative effect on the engine, but richening the pilot screws a tad should help clear that up.

2. At your elevation with stock jetting you will definitely be running rich on your main jets. One size down should help out there and allow the front end to feel lighter at WOT. Also be sure that the air filter is clean.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Not too sure power wheelies will be happening at 6k'. Open up the carbs and see what your main jets are... I believe 175/178 stock. If you have stock jets in there, then you're probably not running lean... your probably running a tad rich. Unless of course your jets have some blockage.