SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Sexy swingarms (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/sexy-swingarms-29074/)

seb421 08-26-2012 07:50 PM

Sexy swingarms

http://cmgonline.com/images/stories/...o_swingarm.jpg

right i currently have a 954 swingarm on its way to me, i'm led to belive after reading a recent article in a magazine that the Spondon made firestorm swinger fitted the 954 blade also.... so i thaught well if thats the case then a 954 swinger must fit onto a storm, yeh?

I'm told a member on here has a 929 swinger fitted? any one know which member it is / was?

they have the same fitment of the 954's swinger just differ in the style.

would be great to get hold of this member and swap info

Thank you

Erik S. 08-26-2012 07:57 PM

I don't recall a 929 having been fitted. Most take the bracing off the 929 and reweld it on the SH/FS swing arm. The pic I posted in my engine thread is a stock SH/FS swing arm with a custom brace done by Little Horse Cycles (he's on here usually). That way we didn't have to ruin a 929 swinger.

That 954 swinger is sexy.

Originally Posted by seb421 (Post 340648)

right i currently have a 954 swingarm on its way to me, i'm led to belive after reading a recent article in a magazine that the Spondon made firestorm swinger fitted the 954 blade also.... so i thaught well if thats the case then a 954 swinger must fit onto a storm, yeh?

I'm told a member on here has a 929 swinger fitted? any one know which member it is / was?

Thank you

mikstr 08-27-2012 05:02 AM

People use the brace from the 900 swingarm, not the 929. As for the member with teh 929 swingarm, the pic was int eh gallery. I believe the chap was from Italy but hasn`t been on here for a long time....

Tweety 08-27-2012 08:51 AM

I did a lot of research a long time ago, when I was about to do my swingarm upgrade, so I can add a bit of information...

The 929/954 presents essentially the same challenges, the only difference is looks & weight... The swingarm uses a 25 mm axle, so you need to swap the bearings to make it work with the 20 mm of the VTR... Same goes for the wheel axle, 25 mm so you need the CBR wheel...

Once that has been solved, the mounting point for the shock is in the wrong place, the shock if mounted to the stock point on the swingarm is right where the rear header is positioned, going around the stock shock...

Since it's not possible to move the linkage on the swingarm, as it's not a good option to start modifying it that much, you need a custom header to wrap very narrowly around it, and you need to drill a new hole to mount the top of the shock to the frame...

Both these things have compromises... The header will be at best restrictive, at worst a nightmare, and drilling the frame means weakening it... I opted to select another donor, and got an SP2 swingarm instead...

matt365 08-27-2012 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by seb421 (Post 340648)

Thank you

I've got the same swingarm, on my Fireblade.

I'd say just put a brace on the stock firestorm swingarm, but with enough skill and time, anythings possible?

I've got the stock 929 swingarm sitting in my shed, so I've thought about what you are going to attempt, but so far it seems to me to be too much of a pain in the ass to attempt.

Looking forward to your progress though!

seb421 08-27-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 340688)
I did a lot of research a long time ago, when I was about to do my swingarm upgrade, so I can add a bit of information...

The 929/954 presents essentially the same challenges, the only difference is looks & weight... The swingarm uses a 25 mm axle, so you need to swap the bearings to make it work with the 20 mm of the VTR... Same goes for the wheel axle, 25 mm so you need the CBR wheel...

Once that has been solved, the mounting point for the shock is in the wrong place, the shock if mounted to the stock point on the swingarm is right where the rear header is positioned, going around the stock shock...

Since it's not possible to move the linkage on the swingarm, as it's not a good option to start modifying it that much, you need a custom header to wrap very narrowly around it, and you need to drill a new hole to mount the top of the shock to the frame...

Both these things have compromises... The header will be at best restrictive, at worst a nightmare, and drilling the frame means weakening it... I opted to select another donor, and got an SP2 swingarm instead...

Piss :(

thanks tweety the header moving is not an option as i have my yoshi headers and don't want to fuck about with them, i will have a look when it turns up and see what's what,

would different lineage plates help?

i have all the parts to make the cbr900 brace but just wanted the 954 rear end badly

Tweety 08-27-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by seb421 (Post 340697)
Piss :(

thanks tweety the header moving is not an option as i have my yoshi headers and don't want to fuck about with them, i will have a look when it turns up and see what's what,

would different lineage plates help?

i have all the parts to make the cbr900 brace but just wanted the 954 rear end badly

Look at it this way... Do you really, honestly want to move the linkage sidways, so that the shock sits on a leverage vs the mount on the swingarm? It's an almost certanity that it will break when you are leaned over in a turn and fling you at the scenery... It's a difference of the entire width of the shock, ie about 50 mm sideways... And the shock mount is not somewhere you go about changing things "to see if it works", there you calculate them...

seb421 08-27-2012 10:59 AM

looks like it will be going back on ebay then

hawxter996 09-01-2012 05:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here is a sexy arm

seb421 09-01-2012 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by hawxter996 (Post 341049)
here is a sexy arm

? nothing new there seen that done loads times, tweety's looks better imo

hawxter996 09-01-2012 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
really? attitude?
i am aware of tweety's bike ,yes it is nice.
i was showing you another option.
attitude not needed.

eta.....mine is not bad at all.

seb421 09-01-2012 01:09 PM

i am right in thinking that is an RC swing arm?

hawxter996 09-01-2012 01:12 PM

yes sir,it is.

looks a lot like the 954 arm,with the added benefit of being easier to attach.