Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

removing snorkel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:46 PM
roll through
Squid

vtrider is on a distinguished road
removing snorkel?

does removing the airbox snorkel lose power? Mine is missing. Anyone gained or lost from it?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:35 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
I think the general concensus is to not F with the airbox, unless your prepared to do some finicky tuning. Even then it seems people prefer the stock box. From what I've read people don't even thin kthe K&N is worth the time and money.

I hate finding missing things on my bike (bought it used)!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:40 AM
roll through
Squid

I found a complete airbox on Ebay for 35 bucks,I'm going to picK it up on monday. Local seller. Seems like a deal because the snorkel is 22 bucks + shipping and it also has the velocity stacks so I can try the long,long combo. Anyone else have anything to add?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
I removed my snorkel and installed a K&N w/ good results. Had to play w/ the jetting - but she runs real strong now. In fact when my dealer did the initial jetting and pipe work, it ran like crap - when I pulled the snorkel and added the K & N she ran better. He finally made a few more adjustments on the jetting, and now she runs real strong.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:02 PM
roll through
Squid

anyone else?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:31 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I can tell you that you will like the long-long combo on the intake runners.....
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
I just removed my snorkel and it cured the flat spot that I had at 3500-3750rpm. And it sounds awesome! I have a dynojet jet kit and erion slip-ons!

Dennis
Old 07-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Squid

motorhall is on a distinguished road
The snorkel is there primarily to cut down on intake noise, and it would help keep moisture out of the airbox if you're riding in the rain. Having the source of air be the hot air coming off of the front cylinder doesn't seem like such a great idea, though. I removed my snorkel assuming that getting some of the cooler air seeping in between the tank and frame had to help with power, even if only slightly. I didn't notice any difference in how my bike ran (stock jetting with Two Brothers sliip-ons). Stock jetting is too lean whether the snorkel is there or not.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motorhall
The snorkel is there primarily to cut down on intake noise, and it would help keep moisture out of the airbox if you're riding in the rain.
That's not true. The length of the intake snorkel affects the speed of the air going in the carb and it has a significant impact on the engine performance along the rpm curve. The ideal solution is a variable length intake system which allows adjustments on-the-fly based on the rpm speed, just like the one mounted on R1’s since 2006. The rule of thumb is that a long intake is preferable in the lower range of the rpm curve while shorter intakes offer the best performance at high rpms.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Variable-length intake runners are only on the 2007 R1 (not the 2006; some MV Agusta F4 1000's also had a similar system). Although both the snorkel and runners' effects are related to airflow, they serve different functions.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Killemal...the snorkel is the rubber tube like thing that connects the airbox to the outside world. Intake runners/stacks/tunnels are attached to the mouths of the carbs. Stacks, their radius at the end, and their length are directly related to intake tuning for power and the snorkel is there so that the incoming air is controlled as per direction and for intake noise etc. Apples and oranges.
All due respect......
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redman
Intake runners/stacks/tunnels are attached to the mouths of the carbs.
My bad, that's what I thought was the topic .