Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Rear Shock Alternative? Don't kill me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Led Sled
Squid

Ariola is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons
Definitely at least reset the front end to stock. That is NOT the correct way to lower a front end. The correct way is to do it entirely in the top-out spring area, so the forks cannot completely return to their fully extended position.

James

Thanks James for the input. I'm currently trying to find out what the factory setting is or what it looks like. I really appreciate all the help.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:12 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
There is an engraved line around the outside of the chrome fork tube (right near the top). That line should be at the top of the clip-on handlebar surface (in stock form).

James
Old 09-14-2015, 08:12 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ariola
What I'm trying to figure out is how the person I got the bike from stated that he initially got the VTR because of his 6'4 stature and how the bike didn't make him feel cramped while riding. Those numbers don't equate: a person 6'4" with a bike that's been lowered to that height. Shims are on the way... woo hoo!
That would all depend on what you compare the VTR to. If you were coming off a GSX-R or CBR-RR the riding position of the VTR might feel more relaxed. Whenever I jump back on the VTR after my VFR I'm reminded that the bars are lower and the pegs higher so to me it feels more cramped, but I still find it plenty comfortable.

I don't think that the front end adjustment was done to lower the bike, what it does is steepen the fork angle, and that makes the bike steer more quickly. If you shim the back, and return the front end to the stock position (with the circlip on the forks pulled down against the top of the handlebars) then you will have raised both ends but kept the faster steering.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:55 AM
VTR virgin
Superstock

There is an engraved line around the outside of the chrome fork tube (right near the top). That line should be at the top of the clip-on handlebar surface (in stock form).

James
That line is the groove for a circlip (or "stopper ring" in Honda-speak). Maybe yours is missing James?

Old 09-15-2015, 02:59 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
You need to lift those forks. If the springs are stock that front end is in a dangerous condition. Once that is done get the correct springs for your weight.

Then you can play with shims. And maybe the Roger mod for the forks.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:31 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
She it mate,

That is the most radical set up I have ever seen!

Raise the forks, fit the shim, measure the static sag, do a search on here it's all there.

Whoever owned this bike before you had some funny ideas !

Bloody thing would be downright dangerous.

Make it a priority, otherwise you'll regret it.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Led Sled
Squid

Originally Posted by kenmoore
She it mate,

That is the most radical set up I have ever seen!

Raise the forks, fit the shim, measure the static sag, do a search on here it's all there.

Whoever owned this bike before you had some funny ideas !

Bloody thing would be downright dangerous.

Make it a priority, otherwise you'll regret it.
Originally Posted by NZSpokes
You need to lift those forks. If the springs are stock that front end is in a dangerous condition. Once that is done get the correct springs for your weight.

Then you can play with shims. And maybe the Roger mod for the forks.
Originally Posted by Cadbury64
That line is the groove for a circlip (or "stopper ring" in Honda-speak). Maybe yours is missing James?

James

You guys rock...! I've got my work cut out for me this weekend. Can't wait for the shim to come in first. The bike is not registered yet so I'm having to quench my V-Twin addiction to just neighborhood riding to keep her warm. When I rode the bike home she felt awesome and seemed to love leaning on the turns. Point and she goes...
Old 09-15-2015, 05:06 AM
Led Sled
Squid

Just a quick question... is anyone able to link me to a pic showing what the shim install looks like? Or will it come with install instructions...?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

I did not receive any instructions but to be honest it should be self-explanatory. You just need to undo the nut on the clevis where it passes through the frame just at the back of the tank. If you pull the seat off you'll see it easily, a 17mm nut from memory. Once that is off, you need to lift the back of the bike while leaving the wheel resting on the ground. I put a piece of wood under the sidestand foot so the bike is closer to vertical, then put a car jack under the right hand exhaust where the pipes split to the mufflers. Crank the jack up and keep an eye on the gap between the top of the clevis and the underside of the frame cross-member. This is in the gap just behind the rear cylinder head, there should be a rubber flap in this spot that you may need to lift out of the way to see. When you've got a big enough gap, slip the shim into place, then lower the jack and the weight of the bike will hold everything in place while you re-tighten the top nut (44 N-m from memory).

Hopefully the diagrams below will help, I have no photos, sorry. You don't need to disassemble to this extent to install a shim!!!

Last edited by Cadbury64; 09-15-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Led Sled
Squid

I did not receive any instructions but to be honest it should be self-explanatory. You just need to undo the nut on the clevis where it passes through the frame just at the back of the tank. If you pull the seat off you'll see it easily, a 17mm nut from memory. Once that is off, you need to lift the back of the bike while leaving the wheel resting on the ground. I put a piece of wood under the sidestand foot so the bike is closer to vertical, then put a car jack under the right hand exhaust where the pipes split to the mufflers. Crank the jack up and keep an eye on the gap between the top of the clevis and the underside of the frame cross-member. This is in the gap just behind the rear cylinder head, there should be a rubber flap in this spot that you may need to lift out of the way to see. When you've got a big enough gap, slip the shim into place, then lower the jack and the weight of the bike will hold everything in place while you re-tighten the top nut (44 N-m from memory).

Perfect... shim is on it's way from the UK. Gonna follow everyone's advice and start with that mod before tackling the fork issue. Again, you guys rock...!

Hopefully the diagrams below will help, I have no photos, sorry. You don't need to disassemble to this extent to install a shim!!!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:59 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

I'm with the consensus here, the shim is nice to have but the forks look like they are too low for safety; as I stated before I reckon if they are that far through the clamps, when you brake hard over a bump the top of the sliders will collide with the bottom clamp and lock the fork the fork up, which won't help your braking. Shifting the forks will take all of about 10 minutes, you only need a 14mm and 12 mm socket and a 6mm allen key, do one leg at a time. If you want to do this correctly, re-torque the lower bolts to 49 N-m, the top clamp and bar clamp are 23 N-m.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:56 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
This Vid may help with the concept of just dropping the clamps on the forks and why it doesnt really work. Swingarm angle gets messed up for a start.

Triple Clamps Explained By Richard Stanboli of Attack Performance | OnTheThrottle.com
Old 09-16-2015, 06:34 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Good informative video! Now maybe someone can provide a triple clamp swap for stock forks that have a 30mm offset

James
Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
Disclosure: I have little experience in this matter. I do not wish to disrespect a contributor of this forum and provider of fine retrofit shocks. This is merely academic.

It looks to me from the list...

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=12827

posted by Scottieman (the link is worth visiting if not for the original poster's signature photo alone)
that the 2000 Yamaha YZF shock would be close.

VTR shock length= 346mm. VTR stroke= 60mm
1996-2000YZF 1000 shock length=340 (+12/-0). YZF stroke =69mm

So I got to looking at Ebay and found this:

Yamaha R1 YZF 1000 YZF1000 Swingarm Rear Suspension Shock 98 99 Y13 | eBay

and started to envy the Yamaha all plate swingarm also. It looks strong as well.
But I know little of the Yamaha rear shock spring rate . But you can buy a different spring , right?

Last edited by Hangfly; 09-16-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:45 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

That piggyback reservoir will not fit with our current battery box.

James
Old 09-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Led Sled
Squid

Originally Posted by Hangfly
Disclosure: I have little experience in this matter. I do not wish to disrespect a contributor of this forum and provider of fine retrofit shocks. This is merely academic.

Shock Swap Chart - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

posted by Scottieman (the link is worth visiting if not for the original poster's signature photo alone)

and started to envy the Yamaha all plate swingarm also. It looks strong as well.
But I know little of the Yamaha rear shock spring rate . But you can buy a different spring , right?
That piggyback reservoir will not fit with our current battery box.

James

Thanks for the heads up Hangfly. I'm gonna look into obtaining measurements to see if it would somewhat fit. I think James may be correct though. I checked the gap between my battery box and current shock and it does seem pretty close...
Old 09-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Led Sled
Squid

Talking

Originally Posted by Hangfly

Shock Swap Chart - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

The Shims are already on their way.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Led Sled
Squid

I eyed the bolt coming through the subframe and was wondering if it would be long enough once I slip the shim in to bolt on the nut...?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:58 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

If its about a 6mm shim... Then yes. I know from experience
Old 09-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
Someone buy this. Before I do.
It states the length is 13.5".

Honda VTR1000 Superhawk Penske Racing Shock Absorber with Eibach Spring | eBay
Old 09-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Led Sled
Squid

Smile

Yes indeed it is. IMO the VTR spring is already over pre-loaded so I would not be adding any more preload unless the shock is bottoming out. I ran mine on the lowest setting (I'm 190 pounds). You should be able to buy a shock adjusting spanner on ebay, bad people use a hammer and a punch. The original tool kit has a shock adjuster if you have it. A bit of CRC or similar sprayed on the adjusting collar helps it turn a little easier but it is pretty hard.

For more ride height you are better off slipping a shim between the top clevis and the frame. I have one that is 1/4".

Honda 6mm Rear Shock Shim Spacer VTR 1000 Firestorm CBR 1100 XX Blackbird New | eBay

To install you need to loosen the top nut which is at the back of the tank through the frame, then lift the back of the bike up (I use some wood under the sidestand and a car jack under the exhaust joint on the right) so the clevis bolt drops down just enough to slip the shim in. Then drop the bike back on its wheels before tightening the top nut.

One side effect of this is that your sidestand will now be too short and the bike may lean over further than you'd like. A 2004-6 CBR1000 sidestand bolts right in to sort that.

By the way, as far as I can tell your rear suspension looks all stock to me.
Definitely at least reset the front end to stock. That is NOT the correct way to lower a front end. The correct way is to do it entirely in the top-out spring area, so the forks cannot completely return to their fully extended position.

James

Shim finally arrived from he UK. Looking forward to wrenching this weekend to get her ready for the road...
Old 02-05-2016, 12:45 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Have you fitted the shim yet?

When you do back the spring preload right off to its lowest setting.

You will notice the difference.