Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Preparing for GSXR Fork swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lazn
I should have a wheel for sure, I will PM you once I have figured out what I am keeping. I only have one set of 320mm rotors though, the other two wheels and separate rotors that I have are 300mm, which are used only on K3/K4 1000s and K4/K5 600/750s from what I can figure out.

I will probably need the 320mm rotors for my swap, so I may not have the correct rotors for you.
that's fine. rotors are cheap on ebay. its the rims that are the killer. you wouldn't happen to know for sure what kind of condition the rims are in do you? also, is it common to get a rim restraightened? or is it only the kind of thing you do if you can't get your hands on a straight one? might apply to me either way. just wondering.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... by how much are they too wide? Since 168-154 = 14 mm / 7 mm each side that would be to much to compensate in terms of a few washers... needs custom spacers...

But since I believe that the 9xx triples are narrower than the GSXR's then it should be less, dunno how much though... If they are ballpark right you'd need a few washers on the stock spacers or worst case a custom set... and then the rotors would be a couple of mm wider than the centerline of the calipers... mine are off by 1,5 mm... no big deal... that should only change in relative to the change in triple width as all of the GSXR's have the same measurement here...

Last edited by Tweety; 04-10-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Well... by how much are they too wide? Since 168-154 = 14 mm / 7 mm each side that would be to much to compensate in terms of a few washers... needs custom spacers...

But since I believe that the 9xx triples are narrower than the GSXR's then it should be less, dunno how much though... If they are ballpark right you'd need a few washers on the stock spacers or worst case a custom set... and then the rotors would be a couple of mm wider than the centerline of the calipers... mine are off by 1,5 mm... no big deal... that should only change in relative to the change in triple width as all of the GSXR's have the same measurement here...
Actually the GSXR triples are significantly narrower than the 954's..
Old 04-10-2009, 04:15 PM
MotoGP

How much is significantly? BTW once you are at it get us a CC measurement on the 9xx triples... that question has come up so many times now it's ridiculous that no-one have taken that measurement...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
How much is significantly? BTW once you are at it get us a CC measurement on the 9xx triples... that question has come up so many times now it's ridiculous that no-one have taken that measurement...

Ok, here are some fork spacings:

CBR954RR = 214mm
TL1000R = 214mm
GSXR = 207mm

I measured my CBR and TLR triples that I have here. The GSXR values come from:

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s...wap-chart.html
Old 04-11-2009, 07:55 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by swordfish
if you have a wheel that will fit a set of 01' gsxr750 forks, send me a pm with a price. preferably with the rotors included.
I will probably need the 320mm rotors for my swap, so I may not have the correct rotors for you.

I still have one - white with rotors and tire included. PM me if interested.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
I just measured a GSXR 1000 K7 top triple. It's 207mm.

As for the accuracy of the chart, I got it from the TLzone site and where as they have greater access to the parts than I do, I have no reason to doubt the numbers. So far they are right on for the stuff I bought. I do find that w/o a diagram showing where the measurements were taken from, the numbers can be confusing.

BTW Izan, I may be looking for a GSXR front wheel that fits a 07 GSXR 1K.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
MotoGP

Just an update, I got caught up in yruyur's brake upgrade after work yesterday, and am working today, so I wasn't able to put much time into the forks last night. Tomorrow should allow me more time to play w everything.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:22 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty

CBR954RR = 214mm
TL1000R = 214mm
GSXR = 207mm

ok now I'm confused. if I have the forks for an 01' gsxr750, but the triples won't hook up to the superhawk, so you use a cbr 954, or 929 triple. but then wouldn't you need the wheel of a cbr or a tl to get the spacing right at the axle? would the rotors be the right size for the gsxr brakes? or do you need a cbr/tl rim with gxsr rotors? my head's starting to hurt.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 AM
SuperSport

can somebody please clear this up for me? I can't proceed till I know what I need to get.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
MotoGP

Well since you have a 01 fork they are conventional brakes right? Then the main concern is a wheel that fits the axle... The alignment of the calipers and the wheel spacers might need shims to work but that's minor... Apparently the main "problem" is that in those forks you need to use the stock GSXR axle...

Basically nobody can tell you what to get exactly... Unless you decide to follow the roadmap left by someone else you will have to find solutions to some problems along the way...

Jamie Daugherty has done a GSXR 750 01 with a stock VTR wheel with new bearings... That is confirmed and works...
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
SuperSport

I'm thinking of trying to get a TL wheel with rotors. I believe someone already said that tl rotors will work with my 01' gsxr750 brakes. and the fork spacing should be right to match up with the cbr929/954 triples. unless there's a reason this won't work that I'm not aware of. if anybody knows of one, holler back. in the mean time, I guess I'm looking for tl wheels.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
SuperBike

ok now I'm confused. if I have the forks for an 01' gsxr750, but the triples won't hook up to the superhawk, so you use a cbr 954, or 929 triple. but then wouldn't you need the wheel of a cbr or a tl to get the spacing right at the axle? would the rotors be the right size for the gsxr brakes? or do you need a cbr/tl rim with gxsr rotors? my head's starting to hurt.
can somebody please clear this up for me? I can't proceed till I know what I need to get.

Ok, 2001 GSXR750 forks are ok with the CBR929 (or CBR954, same thing) triple clamps. Here are some thoughts, read carefully and keep all of these in mind when selecting the remaining parts:

- You need to run 320mm rotors. See note 1.
- You need to use a GSXR axle. I'm running one from a different year but I think they are all very similar, even the Hyabusa and TL.
- You can use a GSXR wheel because the fork spacing is the same on the GSXR as it is on the CBR. See note 2.
- If you want to run a CBR wheel you'll need to get smaller rotors. The CBR uses 330mm rotors and those will not work. RC51 parts probably work and are the correct size, but that would need to be confirmed as I haven't tried it myself.
- Your stock VTR calipers will work, as will CBR parts or GSXR ones.
- Clip ons..... that's really up to you but they need to by 50mm parts.
- Depending on what you use for clip-ons you will have to check for clearance with the gauges and fairing. Some adjustments and tweaks may be necessary to make them work.
- VERY IMPORTANT: You will need to measure the distance from the lower steering stem bearing (where it seats against the lower triple clamp) to the axle center line with the forks completely extended. Putting the bike on a front end stand works best. You will want to duplicate this distance with your new setup. Slide the forks up and down in the triples until it matches your stock/current measurement. You will probably have the forks extending up above the upper triple clamp. That is where I mounted the GSXR clip-ons I'm using.

Note 1: I'm using 310mm CBR1100XX parts on my original VTR wheel. This is probably not the best idea but it's worked ok so far (~3000 miles).
Note 2: If you run a CBR600F3 or your stock VTR wheel you will also need to make special axle spacers. Wheel bearings with larger OD to match the axle and a special center bearing support tube would also be required.

That's about all that I can tell you. When it comes to stuff like this it's best to get a game plan together and then start buying parts. Be prepared to have some of the parts not work, you won't know until you try. I originally was going to use the GSXR wheel because I thought it was easier but I decided to go with the VTR one instead because that's really what I wanted. There are lots of options, the first question to ask is "what do you want it to be" then you can fill in the other blanks as you go.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
SuperSport

CBR954RR = 214mm
TL1000R = 214mm
GSXR = 207mm

thanks for the breakdown. but
the above info still has me confused. if the gsxr wheel is meant to fit between forks that are 207mm apart, then how can it work when you make the width 214mm with the cbr triples? the gsxr wheel was my game plan until I saw those numbers.
- You can use a GSXR wheel because the fork spacing is the same on the GSXR as it is on the CBR.
doesn't this contradict the measurements you gave above?

Last edited by swordfish; 04-15-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:36 PM
SuperBike

thanks for the breakdown. but
the above info still has me confused. if the gsxr wheel is meant to fit between forks that are 207mm apart, then how can it work when you make the width 214mm with the cbr triples? the gsxr wheel was my game plan until I saw those numbers.

doesn't this contradict the measurements you gave above?

Sorry, I goofed. If you want to use the GSXR wheel you will have to make spacers to ensure that it's centered properly.

Bottom line - there is no easy way unless you buy a complete CBR929/954 or CBR1000RR front end. Those are really expensive to get complete, piecing together will require some trial and error. It's not like chocolate chip cookies, you don't get the recipe for it on a bag of chocolate chips. You can either exactly match what someone else has done or figure out your way.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:52 PM
SuperSport

Sorry, I goofed. If you want to use the GSXR wheel you will have to make spacers to ensure that it's centered properly.

Bottom line - there is no easy way unless you buy a complete CBR929/954 or CBR1000RR front end. Those are really expensive to get complete, piecing together will require some trial and error. It's not like chocolate chip cookies, you don't get the recipe for it on a bag of chocolate chips. You can either exactly match what someone else has done or figure out your way.

ok my world makes sense again. so with what knowledge you have, what do you think of my idea to use a tl rim to get the width right for the cbr triple? and any idea if stock tl rotors are the right size? what was it? 320mm? seems like the easiest way is with a tl rim, and if stock tl rotors don't fit, gsxr rotors. thoughts? sorry for the grilling, but I'd like to measure twice and cut once. you know? I've already almost bought 2 rims that I've come to learn I couldn't use anyway. and you guys are the best resource of info.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
MotoGP

Well that depends on the "Fork Spacing at wheel spindle clamps" is for the 01 forks in the 929 triples. Just because the triples are the same width, it doesn't mean the forks are held at the same angle.

If the fork spacing is the same, that looks like it would be an easy bolt on option.

But if you look on that chart, https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17615 the fork width at the wheel of the TL is the same as some years GSXRs (within a mm anyways).

I am really beginning to think there is no way to use GSXR parts that doesn't involve custom spacers of some sort.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 PM
MotoGP

Another question:

How much difference is there between the Kayaba and the Showa forks? My 03 1000 forks are Kayaba and my 04 750 forks are Showa, but they have the same spring rate..

It seems Showa is considered better.. Is that true? My Kayaba forks are in better cosmetic condition, but both are straight etc.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 PM
SuperSport

ok I took a good hard look at that chart and as far as I can see, it looks like the tl wheel solution will work. I'll start shopping around.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 AM
SuperBike

ok my world makes sense again. so with what knowledge you have, what do you think of my idea to use a tl rim to get the width right for the cbr triple? and any idea if stock tl rotors are the right size? what was it? 320mm? seems like the easiest way is with a tl rim, and if stock tl rotors don't fit, gsxr rotors. thoughts? sorry for the grilling, but I'd like to measure twice and cut once. you know? I've already almost bought 2 rims that I've come to learn I couldn't use anyway. and you guys are the best resource of info.

That might work, but since nobody has done it before you won't know until you try.

Another question:

How much difference is there between the Kayaba and the Showa forks?
Lots, they are WAY different. You don't want the Kayabas, the Showas are a much better choice.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 AM
SuperSport

its either get the TL wheel to work, or get the gsxr triple to somehow fit on the hawk and then use a gsxr wheel. either way, I have reached a point where people's experience can no longer help me. gotta guess, and at least with the TL solution, I haven't found a reason why it WON'T work yet.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

its either get the TL wheel to work, or get the gsxr triple to somehow fit on the hawk and then use a gsxr wheel. either way, I have reached a point where people's experience can no longer help me. gotta guess, and at least with the TL solution, I haven't found a reason why it WON'T work yet.

I can tell you this much - the GSXR triple will require MUCHO modification and custom machining. We haven't talked much about this because, frankly, it's not a very good option at all.

Give me some dimensions of the TL front wheel and I can let you know if it has a chance of working or not. The critical dimensions are 1) rotor diameter 2) rotor inside spacing.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 AM
SuperSport

I can tell you this much - the GSXR triple will require MUCHO modification and custom machining. We haven't talked much about this because, frankly, it's not a very good option at all.

Give me some dimensions of the TL front wheel and I can let you know if it has a chance of working or not. The critical dimensions are 1) rotor diameter 2) rotor inside spacing.
not sure if the rotor inside spacing is on that chart but the rotor diameter is 320mm. but the fork spacing at the wheel spindle clamps is 169mm. regarding measurement#2, are you talking about the distance from the rim to the rotor? anyway, I'm using the chart listed earlier on this page. up a few posts.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM
MotoGP

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s...ver-chart.html

The rotor spacing on the SRAD/TL/Hayabusa is 134mm,on the GSXR it is 132mm.

Last edited by lazn; 04-16-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
SuperSport

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s...ver-chart.html

The rotor spacing on the SRAD/TL/Hayabusa is 134mm,on the GSXR it is 132mm.I
uhm... is that good news? or bad news?

we would need to know what the spacing is on a cbr wouldn't we? and hope that its 134mm. am I right? since the forks are a different distance from eachother than on the gsxr. it shouldn't matter what the gsxr spacing is anymore. once you apply the cbr triple to the equation, the gsxr dimensions become irrelevant.

Last edited by swordfish; 04-16-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM
MotoGP

uhm... is that good news? or bad news?
I really don't know..

On to my issue.. I had a thought: How important is the lip on the axle collar?

Because if I could safely remove that, I could center the axle and still tighten everything up.. This would mean that all I'd have to do is make some rotor spacers to widen the distance between them and make everything fit nice.

Otherwise I'd have to make spacers to go on the axle on each side of the wheel and then not screw the axle into the collar all the way.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:52 PM
MotoGP

And it's over.. well kinda.

I came across an entire 954 front end for cheap.

So I am going to just do the known easier route and selling all the GSXR parts.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:23 AM
SuperBike

And it's over.. well kinda.

I came across an entire 954 front end for cheap.

So I am going to just do the known easier route and selling all the GSXR parts.
I'd say you made a wise choice. If I had it to do over again I'd just spend the money up-front on a CBR929, 954 or 1000RR front end. I've got over $800 invested in my setup, for that much money I could have bought a nice, complete front end and then had money left over. Plus it would have been a lot less work. But what fun would that have been?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
SuperSport

I'm still stuck trying to figure out if a TL rim will be the right width.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
MotoGP

Well if you wanna buy a GSXR rim from me.. lol, I got 3!

It won't be the right width, but you can make spacers for the rotors and axle (what I was looking into doing)

Quick Reply: Preparing for GSXR Fork swap