Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Preparing for GSXR Fork swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
yep, the RC51 front bolts up pretty easily too that's why I paid the big bucks for it
Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
yep, the RC51 front bolts up pretty easily too that's why I paid the big bucks for it
Big bucks indeed. The 01 GSXR750 front end was pretty straightforward, borderline easy I'd say. The only hiccup was the need for new axle spacers and new bearings in the wheel. That was mostly because I wanted to keep the VTR wheel.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Big bucks indeed. The 01 GSXR750 front end was pretty straightforward, borderline easy I'd say. The only hiccup was the need for new axle spacers and new bearings in the wheel. That was mostly because I wanted to keep the VTR wheel.
did you have to change out the rotors on the SH wheel? cause spacers and bearings are a helluva lot cheaper than a new rim with rotors. which is what I'm currently looking for.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by swordfish
did you have to change out the rotors on the SH wheel? cause spacers and bearings are a helluva lot cheaper than a new rim with rotors. which is what I'm currently looking for.

Yes, rotors and wheel bearings. If you look on page 1 of this thread you'll see some details on what I did. The rotors I used are CBR1100XX parts which aren't available from EBC anymore. They are not *technically* the correct size (Ø310mm) but seem to work ok. I wish I could find some Ø320's that fit the stock VTR wheel because I would go with them instead. But alas, nobody makes those.... EBC used to make a Ø320mm oversize kit for the F3 which would fit... also discontinued.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 AM
SuperSport

finding a wheel at a decent price is turning out to be alot harder than I thought. any idea on where else I can look? I'm watching ebay, and craigslist. and I checked that link to gsxr's at speedzilla. not much there.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
finding a wheel at a decent price is turning out to be alot harder than I thought. any idea on where else I can look? I'm watching ebay, and craigslist. and I checked that link to gsxr's at speedzilla. not much there.
Jamie has one he might sell ya, I found mine locally on CL.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
Jamie has one he might sell ya, I found mine locally on CL.

PM sent Swordfish.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
MotoGP

Update!!

So I took off the top triple and everything lined up perfectly.. Still haven't tightened everything down though. Is this something to worry about?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 AM
SuperBike

Update!!

So I took off the top triple and everything lined up perfectly.. Still haven't tightened everything down though. Is this something to worry about?

Yeah, I don't think you are out of the woods yet. Removing the top triple will allow the forks to move around. You are eventually going to have to put the top triple back on, and when you do the alignment will be off again (most likely). I still think you are hosed with those forks unless there is a way that you can use the GSXR triples, which I doubt.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, I don't think you are out of the woods yet. Removing the top triple will allow the forks to move around. You are eventually going to have to put the top triple back on, and when you do the alignment will be off again (most likely). I still think you are hosed with those forks unless there is a way that you can use the GSXR triples, which I doubt.
Well what I don't understand is that if the forks are the same diameter, and the wheels have the same spacing and the same axle is used why would it make a difference if the calipers are radial or not?

GSXR 1000s used the same wheels and axles from 01 to 04.. In 03 and 04 they are radial calipers, but the wheels and axles and bearings are the same..

So if a 01 works with a 954 triple, why wouldn't an 03?

I wonder if I got the wrong top triple..
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

Well what I don't understand is that if the forks are the same diameter, and the wheels have the same spacing and the same axle is used why would it make a difference if the calipers are radial or not?

GSXR 1000s used the same wheels and axles from 01 to 04.. In 03 and 04 they are radial calipers, but the wheels and axles and bearings are the same..

So if a 01 works with a 954 triple, why wouldn't an 03?

I wonder if I got the wrong top triple..

Iazn - Why don't you list again all of the parts you are trying to use. I'm guessing that you have some kind of incompatibility. More than likely it's a problem with the triples not being the correct spacing for the forks/wheel/rotors. It would be nice to know all of the parts you are using, I couldn't find that mentioned before in this thread.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

Ah here is a full list:

929 upper triple
954 lower lower triple
2003 GSXR 1000 Forks, Axle, and Calipers
2002 GSXR 750 wheel and rotors (I also have 2003 GSXR 1000 rotors if needed)

If I leave the top triple off everything lines up perfectly, and may stay that way once tightened, I haven't had time to test yet.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 PM
SuperBike

I think I see the problem - the wheel and forks are not compatible. The 01-03 GSXR750 is a totally different animal than the 03 GSXR1000. Maybe (a big maybe) this would work if you had an 03 GSXR1000 axle and wheel. Even so, I don't think the fork spacing is the same as the CBR9 so the triples are probably incompatible. Here are my suggestions:

First choice - get a set of 01-03 750 forks. They are Showa units with conventional brakes and I know they work with the CBR triples. Then either use the 03 GSXR wheel or use the VTR with oversized rotors (if you can get them)

Second choice - Get an 03 GSXR1000 wheel and axle. This is second choice because even though it will work with the forks it might not work with the triples. It's taking a big chance, but it sounds like you are kind of attached to those forks.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

I think I see the problem - the wheel and forks are not compatible. The 01-03 GSXR750 is a totally different animal than the 03 GSXR1000. Maybe (a big maybe) this would work if you had an 03 GSXR1000 axle and wheel. Even so, I don't think the fork spacing is the same as the CBR9 so the triples are probably incompatible. Here are my suggestions:

First choice - get a set of 01-03 750 forks. They are Showa units with conventional brakes and I know they work with the CBR triples. Then either use the 03 GSXR wheel or use the VTR with oversized rotors (if you can get them)

Second choice - Get an 03 GSXR1000 wheel and axle. This is second choice because even though it will work with the forks it might not work with the triples. It's taking a big chance, but it sounds like you are kind of attached to those forks.
Umm look up 54111-35F00-019 on Ron Ayers.. It is the same wheel for all years and all size GSXRs same with 54711-35F10 for the axle..

So a 03 gsxr1000 front wheel is a 2001 GSXR 600 wheel, is a 2002 GSXR 750 wheel.. Same part.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM
SuperBike

Umm look up 54111-35F00-019 on Ron Ayers.. It is the same wheel for all years and all size GSXRs same with 54711-35F10 for the axle..

So a 03 gsxr1000 front wheel is a 2001 GSXR 600 wheel, is a 2002 GSXR 750 wheel.. Same part.

Well, if you look at the triple clamp part numbers they are different between the 01 750 and 03 1000. The bottom line is that I don't think you are going to get those forks to work.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

Ok, so the wheel is now designated GSXR wheel... No years and models... That part solved...

929 = 954 as far as triples are concerned... Years and models are completely interchangeable...

So, what differences are there in wheel spacers between years and models?

Since you are using a GSXR 750 fork with radial calipers you will most likely need to match it to a set of rotors for a GSXR 750 with radial calipers... Unlikely that GSXR 1000 rotors will work, and the older GSXR 750 forks with conventional brakes is also a longshot...

And more importantly what are the spacing on the fork legs in the GSXR 750's with radial brakes? If they are the same as 929/954 then you are good to go...

If they are not, you are in trouble... Because that means that when you change the spacing of the fork, the spacing and alignment of the rotor/caliper is fubar... And on a radial setup you cant add a shim or two and make it work, like on a conventional caliper...
Old 03-29-2009, 05:05 PM
MotoGP

BTW... you are starting at the wrong end... put both triples on and then see how the wheel axle/spacers/rotors line up with the forks/calipers...

The triples aren't going to move, so either the spacers needs changing or rotors needs to move... Not the other way around...
Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Ok, so the wheel is now designated GSXR wheel... No years and models... That part solved...

929 = 954 as far as triples are concerned... Years and models are completely interchangeable...

So, what differences are there in wheel spacers between years and models?

Since you are using a GSXR 750 fork with radial calipers you will most likely need to match it to a set of rotors for a GSXR 750 with radial calipers... Unlikely that GSXR 1000 rotors will work, and the older GSXR 750 forks with conventional brakes is also a longshot...

And more importantly what are the spacing on the fork legs in the GSXR 750's with radial brakes? If they are the same as 929/954 then you are good to go...

If they are not, you are in trouble... Because that means that when you change the spacing of the fork, the spacing and alignment of the rotor/caliper is fubar... And on a radial setup you cant add a shim or two and make it work, like on a conventional caliper...
I have GSXR 1000 forks ..

The spacing on all the wheels rotors and etc are the same across all GSXRs. A common performance swap for the 03 GSXR 1000 is to take the GSXR 750 wheel and rotors I have and swap them out because to make them work all you need is a 10 mm washer and longer bolts for the radial calipers (Which I got for mine) This gives you 320mm rotors instead of 300mm rotors.

Blah, when I get home I will clamp everything down starting with the lower triple and putting the wheel on last, and see how it works, I have been too buzy / lazy to do this but it will at least clear it all up as to if it will work.

Last edited by lazn; 03-30-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
MotoGP

Ok, so I think I have figured out my whole problem.. I think one of my forks is bent slightly.. I will take them in to a shop to get them checked.

You see once I tightened everything up the axle didn't slide through the forks as easily as it should, and one of the rotors is still not centered in the caliper, where the other one is. (I can flip the axle over to choose which side is centered)

Yay ebay.. lol
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys are making this too difficult, I had 01 GSXR1k conventional brake front end and swapped only the forks to 06 GSXR1k forks. I used all of the other parts i had and everything lined up fine. There is virtually no difference in the width of the triple trees between the 929/954 and the gsxr and they haven't changed in that time span.

Sorry if you got a bent set but as I said before several times I had no alingment issues at all good luck.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
MotoGP

So I am looking at a new set of forks, since fixing the ones I have will cost what I paid for them +shipping to fix at a minimum..

So this brings up the options of getting different forks. On Ebay now are several interesting options.

There are some 05 GSXR 750 showa forks.. These should work with The GSXR wheel, brakes and axle that I already have.

There are some 05 CBR1000RR forks.. what wheel - axle do these use? Can I keep the VTR wheel with these or would I be looking at starting over again with that? And obviously the VTR brakes won't work, but will the GSXR ones by any chance?

I guess I would be best off just asking for recommendations.. (or just selling everything I got and buy a new bike lol)

Thanks guys for all your input and patience so far.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
MotoGP

With the CBR 1000RR forks you will need a matching wheel or a lot of custom parts to line up rotors and wheel... The good part is that they bolt up nicely to the triple tree you already have and have radial calipers, so the stopping power is insane...

It's possible that the GSXR brakes will fit... They are toxico calipers right?

I can always measure mine up in a few days for you...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brakes should work fine since I actually have cbr calipers on mine.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
MotoGP

Just an update, Why are you Why you are (errm that is yruyur)'s sister in law's BF has a shop, and he has my forks and triples etc. He said they can straighten the forks if that is the problem. So I hope to at least know for sure what is going on soon.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
MotoGP

Update.. There was a deal I couldn't pass up on the local Craigslist..

So now I have:
Name:  DSCN2766.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  119.7 KB

A few more things to play with. Some 2004 GSXR 750 Showa forks, wheels, calipers etc. And whatever I end up not using yruyur gets first pick of, the rest will be sold..
Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 AM
MotoGP

So with all my insisting that they should all work, after getting these additional forks and looking again at the cross reference provided by Dan Cronin I think have figured out what doesn't work, and why Superhawk22's setup works.

Basically Superhawk22 is lucky! lol.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17615

The "Fork Spacing at Wheel Spindle Clamps" needs to be 154mm.

This is the spacing that the K1/K2 GSXR750 has, and also the K5/K6 GSXR 1000.

This is why Jamie's K1 GSXR750 works, as did Superhawk22's upgrade to K5/K6 GSXR 1000 forks. If he had picked any other year forks they wouldn't have worked.

However the only thing that doesn't fit here is that Superhawk22 said he started out with GSXR 1000 K1 forks, and according to the chart that Dan provided, they shouldn't have worked. If they were GSXR 750 forks, everything makes sense.

Anyways, I now have 3 sets of forks that don't work that I now get to ebay.

once we are sure of what works yruyur and I plan to make a new chart that show what is compatible with our bikes for future use of others on the forum.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
SuperSport

if you have a wheel that will fit a set of 01' gsxr750 forks, send me a pm with a price. preferably with the rotors included.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:36 PM
MotoGP

if you have a wheel that will fit a set of 01' gsxr750 forks, send me a pm with a price. preferably with the rotors included.
I should have a wheel for sure, I will PM you once I have figured out what I am keeping. I only have one set of 320mm rotors though, the other two wheels and separate rotors that I have are 300mm, which are used only on K3/K4 1000s and K4/K5 600/750s from what I can figure out.

I will probably need the 320mm rotors for my swap, so I may not have the correct rotors for you.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
MotoGP

So with all my insisting that they should all work, after getting these additional forks and looking again at the cross reference provided by Dan Cronin I think have figured out what doesn't work, and why Superhawk22's setup works.

Basically Superhawk22 is lucky! lol.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17615

The "Fork Spacing at Wheel Spindle Clamps" needs to be 154mm.

This is the spacing that the K1/K2 GSXR750 has, and also the K5/K6 GSXR 1000.

This is why Jamie's K1 GSXR750 works, as did Superhawk22's upgrade to K5/K6 GSXR 1000 forks. If he had picked any other year forks they wouldn't have worked.

However the only thing that doesn't fit here is that Superhawk22 said he started out with GSXR 1000 K1 forks, and according to the chart that Dan provided, they shouldn't have worked. If they were GSXR 750 forks, everything makes sense.

Anyways, I now have 3 sets of forks that don't work that I now get to ebay.

once we are sure of what works yruyur and I plan to make a new chart that show what is compatible with our bikes for future use of others on the forum.
You know... Your logic is out the window on that one... Sorry, but it is...

The measurement you refer to is a direct result of the measurement "Triple Clamp Fork Centres"... which is only a factor when you use the stock GSXR triple matching your fork...

Basically that chart becomes useless once you mix in a Honda triple tree... And the only way to make the forks fit is to use a Honda triple tree... namely the 929/954 triple tree you already have...

So my suggestion... pick a nice straight set of K4 forks... put them in the triple tree, both upper and lower triple... then lightly hand torque it together so all is lined up... Now measure the actual width between the inner parts of the forks... That measurement is what you have to work with... compare it too the chart if you like...

Also since all the parts you have use rotors that are 132mm center to center, the difference between the GSXR and 9xx triple will affect this... 1-2mm on each side is ok... more isn't... Then figure out if you need custom spacers for the axle...

So, I'd say you have plenty of forks that will work... You need to stop staring at numbers and actually try things and measure them...
Old 04-10-2009, 02:24 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
You know... Your logic is out the window on that one... Sorry, but it is...

The measurement you refer to is a direct result of the measurement "Triple Clamp Fork Centres"... which is only a factor when you use the stock GSXR triple matching your fork...

Basically that chart becomes useless once you mix in a Honda triple tree... And the only way to make the forks fit is to use a Honda triple tree... namely the 929/954 triple tree you already have...

So my suggestion... pick a nice straight set of K4 forks... put them in the triple tree, both upper and lower triple... then lightly hand torque it together so all is lined up... Now measure the actual width between the inner parts of the forks... That measurement is what you have to work with... compare it too the chart if you like...

Also since all the parts you have use rotors that are 132mm center to center, the difference between the GSXR and 9xx triple will affect this... 1-2mm on each side is ok... more isn't... Then figure out if you need custom spacers for the axle...

So, I'd say you have plenty of forks that will work... You need to stop staring at numbers and actually try things and measure them...
That may be..

However I have tried what I have.. Which includes two sets of straight K4 forks.

The reason I came to the conclusion I did from that chart is because they all have the same GSXR triple measurement (207mm) and have different measurements at the axle. (168mm or 154mm) and all the forks I have are of the 168mm type on the chart, and they all are too wide for the wheels/axles I have when installed into my 954 triple.

edit: and the ones that Superhawk22 are using now are of the 154mm variety from that chart.

edit2: however tonight I plan to sit down and bolt every combination up nice and tight and measure it all, just to verify.

Last edited by lazn; 04-10-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Preparing for GSXR Fork swap