SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Looking for HID conversion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/looking-hid-conversion-27804/)

Verne 03-30-2012 06:54 PM

Just ordered mine. So there is one more.

taskmasta 03-31-2012 11:10 AM

ordered

jdobeckj 03-31-2012 01:28 PM

give d2moto a look.. good prices and a fun selection of "crap"

Tweety 04-01-2012 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by jdobeckj (Post 328768)
give d2moto a look.. good prices and a fun selection of "crap"

The HID kits they sell is just that... CRAP... When will some people get the idea through their heads that a HID bulb without a projector is worse than the stock lighting in about 5 different ways...

If you are happy with your crappy HID bulb, fine, enjoy... But as long as you keep recommending them to others, I will keep telling you that you are wrong... Do we understand each other?

NHSH 04-01-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 328811)
The HID kits they sell is just that... CRAP... When will some people get the idea through their heads that a HID bulb without a projector is worse than the stock lighting in about 5 different ways...

If you are happy with your crappy HID bulb, fine, enjoy... But as long as you keep recommending them to others, I will keep telling you that you are wrong... Do we understand each other?

+1 Rest my case!!!

Stevebis1 04-01-2012 08:56 AM

I put my order in Friday - It looks like maybe there are 6 orders so far? Anyone still on the fence?

As far as the non-projector kit, I have first hand experience. You will notice in my signature I have the DDM retrofit listed. You will also notice I drive a TSX so I know what a decent projector is like.
As previously discussed, there is no comparison. The retrofit bulbs are bright but they do not produce a band of light like projectors do. They also have random reflections that will annoy and dazzle others.
There are some of us who feel that dazzling others may be good as that will increase our visibility. That is an opinion. It has been argued before and I doubt opinions will be changed. That said the projector kit WILL provide significantly more light where it needs to be.
You will see better after dark. That's why I ponied up $140. The bulb retrofits can be cheap, but if your goal is to see better, I recommend you jump on this opportunity

7moore7 04-01-2012 09:24 AM

I'm just going to throw a little correction your way, as the terms are often interchanged incorrectly:

HID Conversion: Ballast/Harnass and HID bulb to be put into stock housing. These are cheaper and require less work. It is sold as an upgrade.

HID Retrofit: New projector along with the conversion kit to be put into an old housing, whether it be cars, motorcycles, or whatever that has an older halogen bulb. This is the full system, and often requires cutting and even alteration of the clear housing to get the full benefits of the light.

While an HID conversion loosely fits the definition of retrofit, when talking about HID headlights, a retrofit is concerned with installation of the full technology the way it was engineered and intended to be used. Like I said, the terms are often misused in casual conversation ;)

Stevebis1 04-01-2012 09:53 AM

Correction noted! ;)

Now someone order - I'd like to get my retrofit kit this month so I can remove my conversion

smokinjoe73 04-01-2012 10:29 AM

Aw man, just when I was embroiled in working on my truck you guys gotta go and do this that I have been wanting for a while now!

I am hoping someone can post pics or results to show the difference from stock. I have the eastern beaver setup so am dragging my feet.

Question: Is projector beam HID or are they distinct? Also what is the downside to using car projectors?

Tweety 04-01-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 328832)
Aw man, just when I was embroiled in working on my truck you guys gotta go and do this that I have been wanting for a while now!

I am hoping someone can post pics or results to show the difference from stock. I have the eastern beaver setup so am dragging my feet.

Question: Is projector beam HID or are they distinct? Also what is the downside to using car projectors?

The various projectors sourced used from cars are significantly bigger than these, with odd mounting ears since they are assymetrically mounted, and that means you need to either remove the reflector and build a frame to hold it, or if place permits, graft it to the reflector in some way... The one's I used are basically showed in there with a shoehorn...

These are "car" projectors technically... But these are specifically made to bolt to the hole in the reflector on a H4 headlight, being small enough to sit "inside" the stock reflector, meaning it's more or less a bolt on modification once you have opened the headlight up...

smokinjoe73 04-01-2012 01:42 PM

Thanks tweety but you're not helping me resist much.....

HawkRider98 04-01-2012 03:23 PM

I am running the Eastern Beaver and a 100/55 bulb and have way better light than stock. I have matched mine up against a buddies HID and it is nothing close. The type/color and the amount of light available is incredible. Eastern Beaver and HID retro and I won't have to worry about upgrading the lights for a while.

smokinjoe73 04-01-2012 04:52 PM

So hawkrider, you are doing hid AND eastern beaver? Do you need sunglasses at night?

NHSH 04-01-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 328861)
So hawkrider, you are doing hid AND eastern beaver? Do you need sunglasses at night?

I think doing both would be an overkill, I don't think you will see a difference in this case. But it wouldn't heart if you already have the Eastern B' on ;)

Stevebis1 04-01-2012 07:30 PM

The kit comes with a relay harness. The ballast will be wired to your battery through this. I don't see where wire sizes are noted but in theory the set up will be like the Eastern Beaver.

Probably Hawkrider98 could sell his EB and save some $$$

NHSH 04-02-2012 02:18 PM

My order is in as well, we have 7 orders in so far, 3 left to go!

NHSH 04-02-2012 04:33 PM

Just wanted to link an older thread, but a good one ;) on the same topic, Tweety thumbs up to you, as always:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...etrofit-22420/

NHSH 04-03-2012 11:40 AM

Any additional members jumping on the deal???

7moore7 04-03-2012 01:42 PM

Hmmm.. I may have a stock housing somewhere. If I find it tonight I could make one and re-sell the kit.

NHSH 04-04-2012 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 329010)
Hmmm.. I may have a stock housing somewhere. If I find it tonight I could make one and re-sell the kit.

So, are we having #8? ;)

7moore7 04-05-2012 08:06 AM

Unfortunately I lost housing away in the move... bump for today... I wanted to figure out a way to help you guys get lights!

kbyers 04-05-2012 09:11 AM

I will make my order in a couple days when I get paid.

Stevebis1 04-05-2012 02:35 PM

Ok, I called and spoke to "Matt" yesterday. They are willing to close the group buy and ship whenever we tell them to. I did not specifically ask if they would reduce our discount, but Matt did not bring it up.
If there are more to join in I'm okay to wait till after Easter but basically I would like to get this going. Are we all agreed that Monday is the day to close this? Kbyers - if your serious and need a few more past Monday speak up

kbyers 04-05-2012 03:13 PM

I'm good. I will make my order on Saturday. Thanks

NHSH 04-05-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stevebis1 (Post 329199)
Ok, I called and spoke to "Matt" yesterday. They are willing to close the group buy and ship whenever we tell them to. I did not specifically ask if they would reduce our discount, but Matt did not bring it up.
If there are more to join in I'm okay to wait till after Easter but basically I would like to get this going. Are we all agreed that Monday is the day to close this? Kbyers - if your serious and need a few more past Monday speak up

Agreed

kbyers 04-06-2012 05:58 PM

Mine are ordered, MC-R shrouds.

Stevebis1 04-09-2012 02:10 PM

All - Just spoke with TRS - they will close out the group buy coupon today and will process our orders to ship later this week. We ended up with 8 total orders and they were ok with that so all's well that ends well.

Now we have to see some pics of everyones new install - good luck!

HawkRider98 04-10-2012 07:43 AM

Order Status Update: Shipped

Won't be installing light when I get it as I just got new plastics on. Going to wait until summer break and pull the plastics off to install the light and shift star kit. Waiting on installing shift kit is I had just changed oil.

Verne 04-12-2012 01:35 PM

Got shipping conformation Tuesday and it showed up today. Looks great just have to figure out when I am going to install it.

taskmasta 04-13-2012 06:11 PM

Anybody start installing their kits yet. I have mine in the housing now and looking at the inside of the projector that cutoff looks angled. I'm not talking about the uptick. The whole cutoff looks angled. Is this normal?

taskmasta 04-13-2012 07:05 PM

Turns out it is the reflector that is making the projector cutoff angled. Looks like the easiest fix will be too cut the tabs for the H4 adapter ring in half. I will take pictures when I find my dremel.

taskmasta 04-13-2012 11:44 PM

Here you can see how the back of the reflector has the notches offset to the right.

http://images1.snapfish.com/23232323...5%3C2325nu0mrj

Here you can see the result of the offset. The solenoid mechanism/cutoff is tilted.

http://images1.snapfish.com/23232323...34349325nu0mrj

This is the result of cutting half of each tab of the H4 ring adapter that come with the kit. Cutoff is now level.

http://images1.snapfish.com/23232323...34647325nu0mrj

The headlight all buttoned up and cleaned. Very easy install.

http://images1.snapfish.com/23232323...33772325nu0mrj

Verne 04-14-2012 03:56 AM

Do you have a pic of the back after you trimmed the tabs?

Also did you have to trim any of the shroud off for it to fit?

Thanks,

taskmasta 04-14-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Verne (Post 329787)
Do you have a pic of the back after you trimmed the tabs?

Also did you have to trim any of the shroud off for it to fit?

Thanks,

No I did not take a picture of it. I forgot to. But it is pretty straight forward. Just cut a little less than half of each tab. You'll able to tell when you do a test fit how much needs to be cut off.

The shroud I got required no cutting. I think it was the gti shroud. But it didn't come with a locking ring for it. It is a pretty good friction fit, but I added some butyl tape to be on the safe side. Other shrouds might be larger and require cutting.

Bearshawk 04-14-2012 10:21 AM

got mine in the mail today! same shroud as you have got taskmasta, thanks for the photos it makes me even more excited to get this thing in the bike!

it seems like an awefully lot of wires and such to hide up front :? im sure it will work out just fine though.

Bearshawk 04-14-2012 02:18 PM

just took it out of the box and looked at it, looks wonderful, well made and extremely well packaged. great compay to deal with, hopefully will upgrade my 78 cafe when i can afford it... can you get smaller ballasts?

Stevebis1 04-15-2012 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by taskmasta (Post 329765)
Anybody start installing their kits yet. I have mine in the housing now and looking at the inside of the projector that cutoff looks angled. I'm not talking about the uptick. The whole cutoff looks angled. Is this normal?

Baked mine last night and it is already buttoned up. Mine is at an angle too. I'm adusting it slightly counter clockwise but only within the tolerance of the existing H4 ring as I am buttoned up with the shroud glued.
Should have this all back on the bike today so tonight I'll relate my findings

Tweety 04-15-2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bearshawk (Post 329822)
just took it out of the box and looked at it, looks wonderful, well made and extremely well packaged. great compay to deal with, hopefully will upgrade my 78 cafe when i can afford it... can you get smaller ballasts?

The question is can you get smaller ballasts that work well and are relaible longterm... And the answer to that one is unfortunatley no...

ThisDudeHere 04-16-2012 12:48 AM

Just an idea for you guys installing the HID kits, when starting the VTR, power to the headlight gets cut during cranking and re-introduced post crank which would power the ballast with key on and re-strike after starting... The morimoto ballasts are great that they re-fire D2S bulbs while hot but obviously you don't want this...I used the kickstand to keep the light off while extended and starting, but once the stand is retracted, it grounds the relays and powers the ballast. Basically I used the sidestand as a switch to complete a circuit/close the relays which then power the ballast.

When I installed my kit(also the STG.3 bike kit from theretrofitsource.com) I was ready to mount the ballast and relays in the side plastics but really didn't like that idea b/c it would make removing plastics a big mess, so I completely chopped up the harness and rewired through the whole bike so the relays sit in the tail and only 3 wires run along the frame to the ballast up front sitting on the headlight behind the front fairing. You can get the 3 wires down to only 1-12v power wire out of the relays running up front to the ballast if you find the hi/low beam wires in the main harness at the back of the bike.

Too bad I didn't take any pictures of the install or I'd share more visually.
If anyone has any questions feel free to msg. and I'll try to help where I can and give more detail of my install.

Stevebis1 04-16-2012 04:05 AM

Problems....

I think I received a bad harness. When I plug the H4 connector to the H4 headlight connector from the bike the high beam indicator immediately illuminates. Checking this with my multimeter what I see is that as soon as the orange wire gets 12v it then sends 12v to the blue wire powering the high beam circuit and thus lighting the indicator. I unplugged both relays and this still happens. So basically the harness all by itself, is routing power from the orange wire to the blue. I switched to ohms to see if I had continuity but got nothing between the two.

Here is my thought... I think the harness has a diode wired in that should direct power from the blue to the orange. This would be necessary to keep the headlight on when switching to high beams. My theory is that my harness has the diode reversed resulting in power going the wrong direction. I know very little about diodes other than power can only flow one direction through them.
For those who know about such things, does this make sense? I guess I'll be calling TRS later this morning.