SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Latest Dyno Run (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/latest-dyno-run-35636/)

ACE VenTRa 06-12-2020 07:36 AM

Latest Dyno Run

Alright here it is,

I finally had a chance to get to the dyno and the results are in.

Jetting is still way to fat so I'm working on that today but the hard numbers are:

HP: 107.6 @ 8951 =+ 9 Hp
Tq: 70 lb/ft @ 7050 rpm = +5 ftlb

Essentially it is making more power and torque everywhere and a big increase in torque, with respectable horsepower gains over the last session. The next dyno run is in September and I wager we'll see 72lb ft and 112 hp, here's hoping! More importantly, this is very drivable hp with big increases in power after 5500 while using a completely stock airbox and TB slip-ons.

AV

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...aab784b3b4.jpg

AV

fabiostar 06-12-2020 02:54 PM

thats decent real world horsepower.

Wolverine 06-13-2020 05:19 PM

I'd rather be a little fat than a bit lean.

ACE VenTRa 06-13-2020 05:24 PM

Me too but I'm a lottle fat...

I just dropped from 190/190 to 180/185. 5th clip to 4th,. 48 pilot to 45. That improved things so I think I'll drop the mains one more and see if gets any better or worse.

AV

Wolverine 06-13-2020 05:46 PM

Agree'd.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...28b0b27659.jpg
Here was my last run (I did make an adjustment after). This shop has an open house every year and for $5, you got a dyno run w/ print out. After this, the shop sold the dyno so I can't imagine I'll be putting it back on the roller any time soon.

ACE VenTRa 06-14-2020 03:03 AM

Now that is a damn good air fuel line, what is the secret sauce your running? And what altitude?

Av

ACE VenTRa 06-14-2020 03:16 AM

Actually, with my prosthetic eyes on property, it looks a tad lean below 4500 ish. Which pilot do you have?

Wolverine 06-14-2020 06:52 AM

I'm about 5/600 feet above sea level. I honestly can't remember what I have in the carbs. I worked out tuning for a K&N way back and haven't dove in for a while (I'd have to search the forum for a couple days to find the info, I never wrote it down). Before that run, I washed and oiled the filter. After, I gave the fuel screws a small tweak and put a paper filter back in and was hoping to see what it did. Guess I'll never know. Drivability is where I want it, so I doubt I'll be inside 'em in the future.

Wolverine 06-14-2020 06:58 AM

Unless this new to me full M4 exhaust changes things. Haven't rode the bike with them on it yet.

ACE VenTRa 06-21-2020 01:59 PM

I switched back to 45 pilots and with the needle on the 4th clip the pilot to needle transition was kind of harsh. The 180/185 main jet worked good.

So, I put the clip back on 5 and backed out the screws a bit more and switched the mains to 175/180 and it's definitely crisp and responsive. So, I've leaned it out by 2 and 3 jet sizes respectively, left the needle alone for now, and dropped the pilot. It runs damned good so I'm going to leave it until the next run.

AV

Wolverine 06-21-2020 07:24 PM

What kind of range do you average w/ the new set up?

mikstr 06-22-2020 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 412384)
Unless this new to me full M4 exhaust changes things. Haven't rode the bike with them on it yet.

Do keep us posted if you get that M4 on the dyno. A former (still?) member here (Shayne) spoke in glowing terms of the M4 full system after one of his mates in Australia fit one to his bike...

cheers

ACE VenTRa 06-22-2020 04:52 PM

Not sure yet on the mileage, this weekend when I go get an inspection I'll top it off and reset the trip meter. Like clockwork I was getting 37 mpg regardless of riding style iirc, hopefully that improves a bit.

AV

Wolverine 06-23-2020 11:28 AM

Just curious on the range/mileage.

If I did ever get back to a dyno, it wouldn’t be the same one. So results would be untelling to a point. Sure was running good last ride...

ACE VenTRa 06-27-2020 06:56 AM

Ok, so I filled the tank after I got it inspected and it took 2.5 gallons @ 74.7 miles. which is actually only 29.88 miles. That sucks, but it does include 3 dyno pulls and some hard riding. Now that the jetting has changed I will ride 74.7 miles and re fill again. Here's hoping...

AV

My mistake, it's actually 2.1 gallons @ 74.7 miles which is 35.57, much more better.

Wolverine 06-27-2020 03:59 PM

I'd say that's not too hateful considering the dyno pulls and aggressive street riding.

Wolverine 07-09-2020 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 412493)
Do keep us posted if you get that M4 on the dyno. A former (still?) member here (Shayne) spoke in glowing terms of the M4 full system after one of his mates in Australia fit one to his bike...

cheers

So after a 13 year love affair with my Hawk, enter the M4. Let me just say, the butt dyno confirms his glowing recommendation. I've now spent some time with it and it is not disappointing me. I'd say more everywhere, especially up top where the gains are pretty damn good! I think I may need to make a few tweaks right around 35-45, but it's very minor. I'm real bummed that I won't be able to get it back on that same dyno.
It's a bit quieter than my cut down D&D's, which I miss. I think I'll get used to it...

mikstr 07-11-2020 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 412602)
So after a 13 year love affair with my Hawk, enter the M4. Let me just say, the butt dyno confirms his glowing recommendation. I've now spent some time with it and it is not disappointing me. I'd say more everywhere, especially up top where the gains are pretty damn good! I think I may need to make a few tweaks right around 35-45, but it's very minor. I'm real bummed that I won't be able to get it back on that same dyno.
It's a bit quieter than my cut down D&D's, which I miss. I think I'll get used to it...

Very cool, thanks for sharing; seems to be a worthy recipient of its Holy Grail status then...

Red Fox 07-23-2020 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa (Post 412353)
Alright here it is,

I finally had a chance to get to the dyno and the results are in.

Jetting is still way to fat so I'm working on that today but the hard numbers are:

HP: 107.6 @ 8951 =+ 9 Hp
Tq: 70 lb/ft @ 7050 rpm = +5 ftlb

Essentially it is making more power and torque everywhere and a big increase in torque, with respectable horsepower gains over the last session. The next dyno run is in September and I wager we'll see 72lb ft and 112 hp, here's hoping! More importantly, this is very drivable hp with big increases in power after 5500 while using a completely stock airbox and TB slip-ons.

AV

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...aab784b3b4.jpg

AV

@ AceVenTRa: you know the old tuner joke: "standard series condition archived!" ?

This looks to me the same. The VTR 1000 f (open version) was put in standard series condition to a dyno by a German motocycle journal back in 1998. They obtained 114 hp and 103 Nm (75.7 ft/lbs torque)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...cebd5af09e.jpg

ACE VenTRa 07-23-2020 03:55 AM

Sure

Sure...but of that German and I were to swap dynos and weather conditions I doubt we would be able to replicate each other. Though I'd love to read about what the setup was in detail. A few more weeks and I can see what dialed in jetting does.

AV

skokievtr 07-27-2020 05:37 PM

ACE please clarify

Whether the engine has been modified other than CCT and the TPS adjustment then

air filter
HRC, DJ or FP needles
Pilot
going below stock of 175 / 178?

I have 48 pilots and have considered going back to 45 with 178-180 or 175 178 depending on which VTR I get abysmal gas mileage 30 or so if I'm pushing it even slightly 33 if I'm half sane

I haven't been on a Dyno 200 since the 90s where I recall it was doing like 102 & 67 or something

skokievtr 07-27-2020 05:45 PM

ACE please clarify

Whether the engine has been modified other than CCT and the TPS adjustment then

air filter
HRC, DJ or FP needles
Pilot
going below stock of 175 / 178?

I have 48 pilots and have considered going back to 45 with 178-180 or 175 178 depending on which VTR I get abysmal gas mileage 30 or so if I'm pushing it even slightly 33 if I'm half sane

I haven't been on a Dyno 200 since the 90s where I recall it was doing like 102 & 67 or something
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...db7cdfba24.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...a0730ef02c.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...5c575ddea2.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...190bdb20f6.jpg

ACE VenTRa 07-28-2020 03:05 AM

Sure

But first...110k miles, dang.

The pistons are oem .5mm os.
The valves are stainless, intake is 1mm os.
The cam is a regrind from web.
The carb is setup with dj needles and mains. Stock springs and diaphragms. So it may not be smaller than stock as far as jetting goes...the keihin and dj jets are way different.
The head has some porting and is milled .007" to make them flat.

Unfortunately I can't take advantage of the cam and porting without compression so the next step is 99mm je pistons so for the most part the head work is overkill on a stock bottom end. I bet there's a few more ponies left in jetting improvement. I'll find out soon.

Av

ACE VenTRa 07-28-2020 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa (Post 412698)
Sure

But first...110k miles, dang.

The pistons are oem .5mm os.
The valves are stainless, intake is 1mm os.
The cam is a regrind from web.
The carb is setup with dj needles and mains. Stock springs and diaphragms. So it may not be smaller than stock as far as jetting goes...the keihin and dj jets are way different.
The head has some porting and is milled .007" to make them flat.

Unfortunately I can't take advantage of the cam and porting without compression so the next step is 99mm je pistons so for the most part the head work is overkill on a stock bottom end. I bet there's a few more ponies left in jetting improvement. I'll
find out soon.

Av

And the air filter is a k&n but the airbox is otherwise oem.

skokievtr 07-30-2020 09:46 PM

Thanks, need to cogitate on all that.

I'm the first and only owner of my 98 (mfgrd 3-97) , engine is all original (knock on plastic), and I guess it's no garage queen (king, all my bikes are manly guys)!

I have 2 spare engines, another frame, and bits to build at least 1.5 others. The original engine hangs in there because it wants to stay in the game...

ACE VenTRa 08-02-2020 12:02 PM

If it matters to you...I will be taking out this engine and installing my next one with hi comp pistons and a balanced assembly. After that I will have a very good, very low mileage short block with a freshened up transmission for sale.

AV

ACE VenTRa 08-02-2020 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa (Post 412517)
Ok, so I filled the tank after I got it inspected and it took 2.5 gallons @ 74.7 miles. which is actually only 29.88 miles. That sucks, but it does include 3 dyno pulls and some hard riding. Now that the jetting has changed I will ride 74.7 miles and re fill again. Here's hoping...

AV

My mistake, it's actually 2.1 gallons @ 74.7 miles which is 35.57, much more better.

And after 75 more miles there is no change whatsoever....35,5 miles. Much better manners around town though.

Av

ACE VenTRa 08-29-2020 01:17 PM

Today I made another jetting change before the next dyno run. I wrapped the headers which looks pretty cool and I removed the PCV from the airbox and rerouted it to the reed valve. While I had it apart for the valve adjustment I pulled the bowls off and did a little figuring...if I was at 11.7:1 on the rear cylinder with a 190 jet, that means I need to go down 2 jet sizes to get it 1 full AFR point leaner. So the rear jet went to a 180 which should put me at 12.7 or so at WOT. The front cylinder was at 10.3:1 which means that I would need to go down 5 full jet sizes to get to the same AFR as the rear cylinder. Right after the last dyno run I pulled 2 jets out of the rear and three out of the front because that's all I had on hand for jets. Today I pulled 2 more out of the front since my order from Jets r us came through and I have to say that I am totally shocked that I'm able to use such small jets and run so damned good. I know a 180 isn't too crazy but a 165 is basically unheard of, especially when you consider that I'm running a K&N and slip-ons. I guess the dyno doesn't lie though, kind of hard to argue with a wide band o2 sensor...plus it runs great...anyway...I have yet another surprise to report on within a week or so when it arrives.

AV

ACE VenTRa 08-31-2020 04:10 PM

Went for quick 5 mile run with air temps at 68 and air density at .071138 and 72% humidity it runs really really good, I suspect it be a tad rich but with a little more air density that will work itself out. Itching for another dyno pull...!!

AV

Wolverine 08-31-2020 05:33 PM

Tad rich is good. Let er rip tater chip!