SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   jd shifter (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/jd-shifter-29386/)

maniac2313 11-03-2012 08:17 AM

jd shifter

I replaced the stock shifter with the jd shifter... what a difference it makes!! I wasnt really happy with the shifting after the rebuild I thought the factory pro shift kit would give me smooth effortless shifting... it was worth putting it in but it still felt sloppy and clunky... put the jd shifter on and perfect smooth effortless shifting just like I wanted... definatly one of the better mods i have done!!!

JamieDaugherty 11-05-2012 09:17 AM

I'm glad to hear you like it! Enjoy!

twist 11-08-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by maniac2313 (Post 344255)
I replaced the stock shifter with the jd shifter... what a difference it makes!! I wasnt really happy with the shifting after the rebuild I thought the factory pro shift kit would give me smooth effortless shifting... it was worth putting it in but it still felt sloppy and clunky... put the jd shifter on and perfect smooth effortless shifting just like I wanted... definatly one of the better mods i have done!!!

+1 I bought one right after I got my hawk. That stock shifter is junk, too much slop for me. The JD part has a lot more adjustability and combined with hawkrider's adjustment, Shorter shifting 'Hawk the shifting has become precise and easier for me with my big flat feet.

crappybik89 12-19-2012 09:01 PM

where did you get the jd shifter from?

wolfgun 12-20-2012 06:28 AM

Hey Maniac, make sure you either use a locking washer or some loctite on the toe portion of the shifter. It will vibrate off. nothing like trying to hit 3rd only to have the lever be gone. I found mine the first time in the driveway, tightened it down pretty damn good only to lose it the next week because I didn't pick up the clue to loctite the threads. Now I have a knurled aluminum toe piece. Otherwise, they're pretty fantastic compared to the stock shifter.

JamieDaugherty 12-20-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by wolfgun (Post 346421)
Hey Maniac, make sure you either use a locking washer or some loctite on the toe portion of the shifter. It will vibrate off. nothing like trying to hit 3rd only to have the lever be gone. I found mine the first time in the driveway, tightened it down pretty damn good only to lose it the next week because I didn't pick up the clue to loctite the threads. Now I have a knurled aluminum toe piece. Otherwise, they're pretty fantastic compared to the stock shifter.

Probably a good idea, some thread locking compound on the pivot bolt is advised as well.

That said, I've been running the first prototype on my own bike for a few years now without any thread locker - no problems. That includes a track day..... until a little fourth turn action ended the VTR's day.

twist 12-20-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by wolfgun (Post 346421)

loctite=good! also take a look at "shorter shifting hawk" for adjustment that should get the full advantage of Jamie's awesome part!

JamieDaugherty 12-20-2012 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by twist (Post 346429)
loctite=good! also take a look at "shorter shifting hawk" for adjustment that should get the full advantage of Jamie's awesome part!

I do not suggest combining those two. Using the lower linkage mounting point will shorten the shifter throw considerably. Adding to that will create a potential for problems. Just a tip.

Hawkrider 12-20-2012 01:45 PM

So to highjack the thread a little bit...

Jamie, did you ever seriously consider making the matching brake pedal? I'm still interested, cuz I know I asked you years back the same question.

twist 12-20-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 346433)
I do not suggest combining those two. Using the lower linkage mounting point will shorten the shifter throw considerably. Adding to that will create a potential for problems. Just a tip.

what kind of problems you talkin' 'bout? I did it and the shifting has become much better, just a nudge, very positive. Did I miss something?

JamieDaugherty 12-21-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 346444)
So to highjack the thread a little bit...

Jamie, did you ever seriously consider making the matching brake pedal? I'm still interested, cuz I know I asked you years back the same question.

Yep, I designed it up a couple of years ago but it was too expensive to make. Maybe I'll revisit it....

Originally Posted by twist (Post 346448)
what kind of problems you talkin' 'bout? I did it and the shifting has become much better, just a nudge, very positive. Did I miss something?

It's just too much and can cause a jam. If you are careful it can be ok, but add the extra you get with my shifter to changing the clocking at the input shaft and it could become a problem. Doing just the shifter alone should be plenty for all types of riding, IMHO.

8541Hawk 12-21-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 346502)
It's just too much and can cause a jam. If you are careful it can be ok, but add the extra you get with my shifter to changing the clocking at the input shaft and it could become a problem. Doing just the shifter alone should be plenty for all types of riding, IMHO.

:iagree:

My bike has shifted great even since installing one of Jamies shifters. ;)