Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Has anyone used "Superlite" sprockets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Has anyone used "Superlite" sprockets?

Does anyone have experience with "Superlite" rear sprockets from Drive Systems USA in Huntington Beach, California? Their website is drivesystemsusa.com

I just replaced the chain and sprockets on my bike, and I'm getting ready to do my wife's SV before too long. I'd already bought a D.I.D 530 ZVM2 chain and steel sprockets for my bike when I saw an ad in "Sport Rider" magazine for Drive Systems USA. They sell a cut to length D.I.D ZVM2 chain (I had to cut mine down from 120 links) in a kit with a front and "Superlite" rear sprocket for a decent price.

The "Superlite" sprocket is chrome moly steel and has quite a bit of material removed to lighten it up. Plus it looks cool. I was just wondering about durability compared to a "standard" steel rear, and how well it holds its "true", since it's a very airy design.

Also, I want to give a big "Thanks" to inderocker for a tip I found while doing a search. The tip is...You don't have to remove the clutch slave cylinder from the front sprocket cover when replacing the sprocket. The rear bolt attaching the slave to the cover is not a through bolt. Leave that bolt in and you don't have to worry about the slave cylinder piston creeping out of its bore. I just tied the cover, with the slave attached, to the frame using a couple of large zip ties linked together.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Squid

cwlucky13 is on a distinguished road
i have not personally got one from them but ride with couple people that have and so far they have no problems at all, if you can pick it up yourself they might even give you a discount , atleast thats what they did for my friends,but only open monday thru friday
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cwlucky13
i have not personally got one from them but ride with couple people that have and so far they have no problems at all, if you can pick it up yourself they might even give you a discount , atleast thats what they did for my friends,but only open monday thru friday
Thanks, Monday through Friday is fine with me...I'm retired. A run up to HB may be in order.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I just got a rear sprocket from them in 520. It's not steel but aircraft grade aluminum and it's scary light. It makes the stocker feel like a tank and it would barely pass as a paperweight. As I find out, many more sprockets are available for the Superhawk in the 530 than the 520. I'm light enough that I think they weight savings (which is substantial) could be beneficial without causing untimely wear. We'll see.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
I just got a rear sprocket from them in 520. It's not steel but aircraft grade aluminum and it's scary light. It makes the stocker feel like a tank and it would barely pass as a paperweight. As I find out, many more sprockets are available for the Superhawk in the 530 than the 520. I'm light enough that I think they weight savings (which is substantial) could be beneficial without causing untimely wear. We'll see.
Thanks nuhawk, The chain and sprocket set I'm talking about comes with a chrome moly front and a black zinc plated steel rear sprocket. But the rear has a LOT of material removed. They also sell AFAM hard anodized aluminum sprockets. That may be what you bought.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Thanks nuhawk, The chain and sprocket set I'm talking about comes with a chrome moly front and a black zinc plated steel rear sprocket. But the rear has a LOT of material removed. They also sell AFAM hard anodized aluminum sprockets. That may be what you bought.
Hey do you have a link, or part number for what your looking at? What shows on there web site http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/c/200516/1/honda.html I do not see a application in the 520 superlite design for the VTR1000F.

Or are you using non OEM wheels?
Or???

Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 09:07 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Hey do you have a link, or part number for what your looking at? What shows on there web site http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/c/200516/1/honda.html I do not see a application in the 520 superlite design for the VTR1000F.

Or are you using non OEM wheels?
Or???

Thanks
I didn't find out about them until after I'd already bought the chain and sprockets for my VTR. I'm thinking of using the 525 Superlite "kit" for my wife's SV.

I'm running 530 on my bike, so I didn't check into a 520 conversion.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
They look good on the website. My brother uses similar sprockets on his CRF250 MXr & he's never had any trouble with them. In fact, they last longer than stockers, and WAY longer than aluminum versions. Too bad they don't make them for my Hawk GT also.