Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Handlebar Risers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Squid

Tailhooker is on a distinguished road
Handlebar Risers

For those of you that have installed apex or helibars or risers how does that effect cornering? I use my hawk mainly for canyon riding and the handling and torque are dead nuts on. What happens with a rearward bar position? Seems like weight transfer is back and leverage is reduced. Any comments?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have apex on one & helibars on my other vtr. The bar position does not automaticly push weight rearward. You just have more of a range to move around in. Plus the apex can be put in any position.

It wont hinder cornering or weight bias at all as I have done a zillion expert races on track with raised bars sliding knee, shin, toes, fairing, pegs etc.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Somewhat differnt feel with my APEX on, no difference in use
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Squid

Tailhooker is on a distinguished road
I say that because one of my other bikes is a Kaw ZRX. While the suspensions are similar in being set up for me, the Hawk handles more aggressively. This is probably due a lot to the torque ( I have a ZX-11 engine )it still doesn't hold like the hawk. With the stock bars I think the front end is loaded to help the initial cornering process. I though I remembered some posts where a members uninstalled helibars to help the cornering process.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
I have had stock bars, then Heli bars, and now Apex bars. Even though I haveset the Apex bars to position the hands further back and up, it does not change the fact that when twisties are encountered, you naturally slide and lean forward on the seat into a more aggressive riding position.

The biggest differance from stock is that I left both the Heli and Apex bars longer than stock, which gives you more leverage. The increased leverage allows you to countersteer harder with less force applied to the bars.
It may seem like it handles better with differant bars but I think that is just a matter of physics. The handling only improved GREATLY once I revalved, resprung, and set up the forks for my weight and riding style, in addition to a matched F4i rear shock. Of course your tire selection, pressure, mechanical condition, etc. etc. I realize I am stating the obvious here.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Just read your post above again and realized you said "Uninstalled" , not "Installed", so I was referring to the latter.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Back Marker

Caffeine is on a distinguished road
I have these, with out the caps.
Handlebar risers (Honda VTR1000F Superhawk, '97- & VTR1000SP1 Firestorm, '99-'01) - TwistedThrottle.com

basically you just lower the front of the bike exposing more of the upper fork tube and these take up the gap, the bolt hooks in to the triple tree where the original bars hooked in, and then there is a hole in them to fit the original bars.
It causes the bike to turn quicker then it did before, noticeably! so much so that I'm installing a damper to compensate, I have had no issues with anything dragging or scraping. it drops the front end by about 5/8". For me it did improve riding position